• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Corporal Punishment Reinstated

The Hammer

Skald
Premium Member
I disagree. So, what vision did you see when I said spanking? Did you see it as a daily routine? Did you see it as an "answer to all things"?

How did you interpret it?

I know you do. Which is why I stated that I was finished with the conversation. Although, that was apparently a lie.

This is something I am very passionate about.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Hit (n):

an instance of striking or being struck.
spanking:
spank, v. tr. To slap on the buttocks with a flat object
love, n. 1 A deep, tender, ineffable feeling of affection and solicitude toward a person, such as that arising from kinship, recognition of attractive qualities, or a sense of underlying oneness.

Notice it didn't say "hit". I don't like hitting.

The Hammer

Skald
Premium Member
Yes... I follow the authoritative line. Maybe that is why they are happy and successful?

Striking/spanking/hitting is an authoritarian method of parenting.

"Spare the rod spoil the child" is authoritarian.

The-four-styles-of-parenting.png

Kenny

Premium Member
I know you do. Which is why I stated that I was finished with the conversation. Although, that was apparently a lie.

This is something I am very passionate about.
And I respect your right! I'm just saying that I didn't have adverse effects but rather positive results

The Hammer

Skald
Premium Member
spanking:
spank, v. tr. To slap on the buttocks with a flat object
love, n. 1 A deep, tender, ineffable feeling of affection and solicitude toward a person, such as that arising from kinship, recognition of attractive qualities, or a sense of underlying oneness.

Notice it didn't say "hit". I don't like hitting.

Your just parsing semantics in order to make yourself feel better, and justify something that has been explicitly shown to have negative consequences (visible or invisible).

The latter is what I'm concerned with.

The Hammer

Skald
Premium Member
And I respect your right! I'm just saying that I didn't have adverse effects but rather positive results

You can't truly know that with any precision. Because we cannot know the mind of another. Our children or not.

Kenny

Premium Member
Striking/spanking/hitting is an authoritarian method of parenting.

"Spare the rod spoil the child" is authoritarian.

View attachment 65841

Authoritative Parenting
  • You put a lot of effort into creating and maintaining a positive relationship with your child.
  • You explain the reasons behind your rules.
  • You set limits, enforce rules, and give consequences, but take your child's feelings into consideration.

The Hammer

Skald
Premium Member
Authoritative Parenting
  • You put a lot of effort into creating and maintaining a positive relationship with your child.
  • You explain the reasons behind your rules.
  • You set limits, enforce rules, and give consequences, but take your child's feelings into consideration.

And physical discipline is no where on that list is it?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Would you spank these adult children now, to teach them a lesson? Or would you talk to them?
Spanking never stopped for misbehavior and not following directions. It just changes hands.

Ask any police officer about people who don't or won't follow instructions and what will happen to them if they continue.

VoidCat

Use any and all pronouns including neo and it/it's
"and give consequences"
Consequences don't always equal authorative. For instance my folks had my siblings and I sit buttnaked in below freezing weather as a consequence for bad behavior but that's authoritarian not authoriative and even considered abusive.

The Hammer

Skald
Premium Member
Spanking never stopped for misbehavior and not following directions. It just changes hands.

Ask any police officer about people who don't or won't follow instructions and what will happen to them if they continue.

Other posters have already covered why this is still a bad idea. So, you can reread what they wrote.

Kenny

Premium Member
Consequences don't always equal authorative. For instance my folks had my siblings and I sit buttnaked in below freezing weather as a consequence for bad behaviorbut that's authoritarian and even considered abusive.
That is so true!!! And certainly "consequences" doesn't translate into always spanking. It isn't "the answer" but can be a tool in an variety with other ways

Would never do something like that to my child. Definitely authoritarian.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
If you think so.
I've spent a deal of time studying serial killers. In the few cases where a physical rod was spared the emotional rod was brutal.
And there's also been a genetic factor at play when it comes to what we call psychopaths/socipaths (it's not a diagnosis and the terms are interchangeable, it's factually wrong to say one was born and the other raised).

VoidCat

Use any and all pronouns including neo and it/it's
That is so true!!! And certainly "consequences" doesn't translate into always spanking. It isn't "the answer" but can be a tool in an variety with other ways

Would never do something like that to my child. Definitely authoritarian.
See tho spanking is often considered a key characteristic of authoritarian style.

Im not saying you were always authoritarian with your kids. Many parents switch between styles. But in this instance you probably were even if unintentionally. I will say I am glad you tried to keep your style authoriative which is typically considered the best style in most cases regarding parenting.

Studies do point towards it being detrimental spanking. Even if your kids are fine which I doubt there was no real damage from it it shouldn't be the norm. There are better ways of parenting.