• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Could Nothingness Be Another Dimension In And Of Itself?

Runewolf1973

Materialism/Animism
Could it be possible that "nothingness" is an actual dimension in and of itself just like space and time? If nothingness, void, vacuum, or empty space is an actual dimension, perhaps if we do not take that dimension into our equations of the universe, we could never hope to understand why there is such thing as "something". If virtual particles can briefly "pop" into and out of existence, there must be some sort of non-existence or "nothingness" (another dimension?) from whence they appear.

BTW, I do not believe that nothingness is "Pure Consciousness" or "Ultimate Reality" or anything mystical in nature. My understanding or my idea is that consciousness is a complex form of interaction. The physical world is a reality, but perhaps nothingness is another real dimension which forms that which we call existence.

Here is a link...

http://www.livescience.com/28132-what-is-nothing-physicists-debate.html

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Could it be possible that "nothingness" is an actual dimension in and of itself just like space and time? If nothingness, void, vacuum, or empty space is an actual dimension, perhaps if we do not take that dimension into our equations of the universe, we could never hope to understand why there is such thing as "something". If virtual particles can briefly "pop" into and out of existence, there must be some sort of non-existence or "nothingness" (another dimension?) from whence they appear.

BTW, I do not believe that nothingness is "Pure Consciousness" or "Ultimate Reality" or anything mystical in nature. My understanding or my idea is that consciousness is a complex form of interaction. The physical world is a reality, but perhaps nothingness is another real dimension which forms that which we call existence.

Here is a link...

If nothing is the absense of something, why would that "absense" be nothing more than an absense? Unless there is no such thing as nothing, in that there will always be something occupying space even though we can't see it.

If the former is the case, it's a mystery yes. A realm? That's mystical. If it's the latter, maybe we just haven't came up with the technology to see everything. We have a yearning to know more, but when does the "want to know" really stop?

Does there have to be a definition of what nothing is other than the absense of something? (Reminds me of the athiest/theist belief. Making disbelief more than what it is, disbelief)... likewise with nothing.

I don't feel there's anything special about it. We just don't know.

Runewolf1973

Materialism/Animism
If nothing is the absense of something, why would that "absense" be nothing more than an absense? Unless there is no such thing as nothing, in that there will always be something occupying space even though we can't see it.

If the former is the case, it's a mystery yes. A realm? That's mystical. If it's the latter, maybe we just haven't came up with the technology to see everything. We have a yearning to know more, but when does the "want to know" really stop?

Does there have to be a definition of what nothing is other than the absense of something? (Reminds me of the athiest/theist belief. Making disbelief more than what it is, disbelief)... likewise with nothing.

I don't feel there's anything special about it. We just don't know.

Thanks for the reply. Say if we had a ball surrounded by nothing...complete empty space or vacuum...perhaps that "absence of something" is an actual other reality or dimension which without those other physical dimensions of that ball would not be visible.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Sometimes things can be so small that we simply can't discern yet as to weither nothing is truly what it seems.

Terese

Mangalam Pundarikakshah
Staff member
Premium Member
Thanks for the reply. Say if we had a ball surrounded by nothing...complete empty space or vacuum...perhaps that "absence of something" is an actual other reality or dimension which without those other physical dimensions of that ball would not be visible.
Extremely fascinating, and as of our Modern understanding of the universe, we don't have any instruments (yet) to see this. i believe this isn't the only universe, and multi-universe theory accepts that this isn't just spiritual/religious concepts. What your talking about is very alien to our laws of nature, something that would not make sense to us, as its radically different to the way our reality is. Seeing a 4D object would be like this. But we can't perceive this. What your asking, we simply don't have the answer to yet.

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I believe this isn't the only universe, and multi-universe theory accepts that this isn't just spiritual/religious concepts.
They are all theories, even Big-Bang. Multi-universe is a possible scientific scenario and not just spiritual/religious.

freethinker44

Could it be possible that "nothingness" is an actual dimension in and of itself just like space and time?
I don't think so. I used to do this thinking exercise about 'nothing' when I was bored, and through this I came to believe that nothing doesn't exist in any tangible way. It only exists as a concept for thinking beings to describe the opposite of something. But in reality, there is never not something, so nothing cannot exist beyond our own imaginations.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I was a boy riding in a car behind my Dad, as he drove....
He saw me looking out the window as he glanced in the rearview mirror....and did ask
What are you thinking about ?

nothing....

He then asked....Have you really tried to think of 'nothing'?

yes

That might not sound like an intellectual discussion...but...
it was the one outstanding discussion I recall having with Dad

godnotgod

Thou art That

Here is a link...

There is not 'Everything' over here, and 'Nothing' over there, in the same way there is not 'Silence' over here and 'Sound' over there. 'Everything' comes out of Nothing, just as sound comes out of Silence. They are the same Reality.

“We live in illusion and the appearance of things. There is a reality. We are that reality. When you understand this, you see that you are nothing, and being nothing, you are everything. That is all.”

Kalu Rinpoche

*The Lost Pearl*

The Yellow Emperor went wandering
To the north of the Red Water
To the Kwan Lun mountain. He looked
around
Over the edge of the world. On the way
home
He lost his night-colored pearl.*
He sent out Science to seek his pearl,
and got nothing.
He sent Analysis to look for his pearl,
and got nothing.
He sent out Logic to seek his pearl,
and got nothing.
Then he asked Nothingness, and
Nothingness had it!
The Yellow Emperor said:
“Strange, indeed: Nothingness
Who was not sent
Who did no work to find it
Had the night-colored pearl!”:D

from “The Way of Chuang Tzu,” trans Merton

*night colored pearl = original nature

godnotgod

Thou art That
This is actually quite useful because I never really believed the notion that nothingness could actually exist. There is obviously something and always was something.

You can only know that there is something because of nothingness. Without nothingness, there is nothing