• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Could Nothingness Be Another Dimension In And Of Itself?

godnotgod

Thou art That
Yes, basically. Spacetime is also a surface (not a sphere, though) that exists without a surrounding space, probably.

Ciao

- viole

In denoting the sphere in question as a planet, I was referring not to space-time, but to a physical sphere. This can exist without its surrounding space?

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
In denoting the sphere in question as a planet, I was referring not to space-time, but to a physical sphere. This can exist without its surrounding space?

Yes, I can imagine another universe that is just a sphere with nothing outside nor inside. a bit like flatland.

But if you restrict to planets, then obviously no, by definition of planet.

Ciao

- viole

Sees

Dragonslayer
An extreme is defined by its relationship to that which is relatively considered to not be extreme.

Not sure how that helps.

What is actually said with "nothing is nothing, everything is everything, nothing is everything, and everything is nothing"...any thing? Seems like a mental lap around the room without even an inch of progression.

godnotgod

Thou art That
Yes, I can imagine another universe that is just a sphere with nothing outside nor inside. a bit like flatland.

But if you restrict to planets, then obviously no, by definition of planet.

Ciao

- viole

OK, so can we say, at least in the case of planets and other spherical objects, that space is essential to their being what they are?

re: 'another universe': by definition, sphere's surface is defined by that which is not-surface, like space, no?

godnotgod

Thou art That
Not sure how that helps.

What is actually said with "nothing is nothing, everything is everything, nothing is everything, and everything is nothing"...any thing? Seems like a mental lap around the room without even an inch of progression.

Only if you continue to see them in conceptual terms.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
OK, so can we say, at least in the case of planets and other spherical objects, that space is essential to their being what they are?

re: 'another universe': by definition, sphere's surface is defined by that which is not-surface, like space, no?

What makes you think that space is not itself a surface?

Ciao

- viole

LegionOnomaMoi

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It works both ways. space is essential to solid, as solid is essential to space.
1) There can be no solids in 1-dimensional space
2) There is no solid essential to any space as any space can be defined such that there exists nothing solid in it and independently of anything solid. Spaces can be (and are) rigorously defined.
3) Solid is mostly a misnomer.

godnotgod

Thou art That
Only if you continue to see them in conceptual terms.

In speaking of extremes, we are talking about things in relative terms, ie; extreme cold vs extreme heat, etc. But about nothingness, since it is immeasurable, it cannot be an extreme, but nothing can be a relative opposite to something.

godnotgod

Thou art That
There is no solid essential to any space as any space can be defined such that there exists nothing solid in it and independently of anything solid. Spaces can be (and are) rigorously defined.

But in this case, it is still being defined by what is solid. Can you rephrase the description to exclude solid completely?

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Isn't it more like an energy field?

I don't think so. But it can host an energy field. A field is defined as a map between a set and another set. In your case a map between space and scalars (energy). A map is different from the sets on which it is defined.

Ciao

- viole

godnotgod

Thou art That
I don't think so. But it can host an energy field. A field is defined as a map between a set and another set. In your case a map between space and scalars (energy). A map is different from the sets on which it is defined.

Ciao

- viole

I just want to know where the 'material' part comes in, as regards your comment: 'looks pretty material to me'