• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Could Nothingness Be Another Dimension In And Of Itself?

Runewolf1973

Materialism/Animism
I would say that without nothingness, there is somethingness.

Ciao

- viole

Yah, I don't really see logically how true nothingness and somethingness can exist at the same time. I would say that whatever "nothingness" there is is only a seemingly nothingness.

godnotgod

Thou art That
Yes. It is called a manifold not embedded in another manifold.

Ciao

- viole

Really. So practically speaking, how can you tell it's a sphere then, if you're looking at it, for example, through a telescope, and there is no surrounding space in the visual field?

Last edited:

godnotgod

Thou art That
Yah, I don't really see logically how true nothingness and somethingness can exist at the same time. I would say that whatever "nothingness" there is is only a seemingly nothingness.

When you say the word 'nothingness', you have in mind a concept or idea of it as such. However, you unwittingly are using 'something' as a passive background reference. Same goes for the thought of 'something': it goes hand in hand with 'no-thing-ness' as contrasting background/field. But because your conscious focus is on one or the other at the time, you only see that , and not it's contrasting background, or reference you actually are using the quality of nothingness or somethingness.

An example is you looking into the open sky. You don't realize it , but you are seeing the open sky against the background of your own consciousness. There is no other reference against which you see 'sky'.

Would you say that the opposite of 'something' is 'nothing', and vice-versa?

godnotgod

Thou art That
"In truth, only Nothing has room for Everything. Only a Nothing that’s awake to its nothingness is awake to its Allness. So long as any part of me remains unsurrendered I shall never be Myself."

Douglas Harding

LegionOnomaMoi

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Yes. It is called a manifold not embedded in another manifold.

Ciao

- viole
Man, I wanted to be the first to get into manifolds. Way to unify algebraic topology, differential geometry, mathematical physics, and steal my would-be example. What's left? Stereopgraphic projections? Sphere bundles? Not really.
There is no other reference against which you see 'sky'.
Ground.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Really. So practically speaking, how can you tell it's a sphere then, if you're looking at it, for example, through a telescope, and there is no surrounding space in the visual field?

You asked is they can exist, not if I can possibly discern their existence. Do you identify the set of things that exist with the set of things we can possibly observe?

Ciao

- viole

godnotgod

Thou art That
You asked is they can exist, not if I can possibly discern their existence.

Ciao

- viole

I asked:

"Can a sphere, such as a planet, exist without its surrounding space?"

...to which you basically said 'yes'.

So, without a sphere's surrounding space, there still exists a sphere, correct?

Just want to be clear on your meaning, OK?

Sees

Dragonslayer
"In truth, only Nothing has room for Everything. Only a Nothing that’s awake to its nothingness is awake to its Allness. So long as any part of me remains unsurrendered I shall never be Myself."

Douglas Harding

I used to think it was clever to use an extreme to actually mean it's opposite extreme...but now it just seems like a redundant waste of words and time. Is it me? :confused:

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
So, without a sphere's surrounding space, there still exists a sphere, correct?

Yes, basically. Spacetime is also a surface (not a sphere, though) that exists without a surrounding space, probably.

Ciao

- viole

LegionOnomaMoi

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Yes, basically. Spacetime is also a surface (not a sphere, though) that exists without a surrounding space, probably.

Ciao

- viole
"Everyone knows what a curve is, until he has studied enough mathematics to become confused through the countless number of possible exceptions"
-Klein

godnotgod

Thou art That
I used to think it was clever to use an extreme to actually mean it's opposite extreme...but now it just seems like a redundant waste of words and time. Is it me? :confused:

An extreme is defined by its relationship to that which is relatively considered to not be extreme.