• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Could Nothingness Be Another Dimension In And Of Itself?

godnotgod

Thou art That
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Science

The scientific method seeks to explain the events of nature in a reproducible way

The belief that scientific theories should and do represent metaphysical reality is known as realism.

So what? None of that tells us what the NATURE of Reality is. If you are going to tell me it is materialistic, I can only say that the idea that the world is of a material nature is only an assumption, an assumption that is slowly being dismantled by Quantum Physics.

When I ask what the nature of Reality is, I am actually asking: 'What is it?', not 'What does it do?', or 'What characteristics does it have?'

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
The Christian God is separate from his creation. A god that is one with his creation is a pantheist god.
Yes, in many schools of Christian thought, but not in others. That quibble aside, just because something is not material does not mean that it is not something. :)

godnotgod

Thou art That
You stated spirituality tells us of nature, what does it tell us?

The spiritual experience is the merging of observer, the observed, and the entire process of observation into a single Reality. That means that you are Everything. You are nothing short of The Absolute. YOU are IT.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
The spiritual experience is the merging of observer, the observed, and the entire process of observation into a single Reality. That means that you are Everything. You are nothing short of The Absolute. YOU are IT.
But... but... but..... you say that "you" are an illusion. Which is it? You nag us to show you who we are and where this "me" is, etc... and yet you get to make this claim and we are just supposed to go, "Oh. Right. Good, oh!"

Unless, of course, you are really saying that this alleged "The Absolute" is also an illusion based on limited information extrapolated beyond all credibility.

godnotgod

Thou art That
Yes, in many schools of Christian thought, but not in others. That quibble aside, just because something is not material does not mean that it is not something. :)

It means that it is not subject to encapsulation, as things are. God is not a finite thing that can be contained or limited in any way. That is why God can never be described in positive terms, but only in negative terms, ie; 'what God is not'. God is not 'some-thing' in comparison to 'no-thing'. God is necessarily No-thing-ness, as Nothingness is infinite, having no limits or boundaries. Specifically, the Christian God is The Maker, as a potter is the maker of the artefact that is the pot. God is not the pot, but can breathe his life into the clay to create man, who is also an artefact. This is called the Ceramic View of the Universe, the Universe being a 'made thing'. But we know that the Universe is not made, but grown, from the inside out.

godnotgod

Thou art That
But... but... but..... you say that "you" are an illusion. Which is it? You nag us to show you who we are and where this "me" is, etc... and yet you get to make this claim and we are just supposed to go, "Oh. Right. Good, oh!"

Unless, of course, you are really saying that this alleged "The Absolute" is also an illusion based on limited information extrapolated beyond all credibility.

You are confusing the illusory 'self' with the 'Self', which is The Absolute. The Self is true Reality. The self is an illusion.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
It means that it is not subject to encapsulation, as things are. God is not a finite thing that can be contained or limited in any way. That is why God can never be described in positive terms, but only in negative terms, ie; 'what God is not'. God is not 'some-thing' in comparison to 'no-thing'. God is necessarily No-thing-ness, as Nothingness is infinite, having no limits or boundaries. Specifically, the Christian God is The Maker, as a potter is the maker of the artefact that is the pot. God is not the pot, but can breathe his life into the clay to create man, who is also an artefact. This is called the Ceramic View of the Universe, the Universe being a 'made thing'. But we know that the Universe is not made, but grown, from the inside out.
Wow. Are you also a fan of Unintelligent Design? Seriously?

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
You are confusing the illusory 'self' with the 'Self', which is The Absolute. The Self is true Reality. The self is an illusion.
WOW. I never realized capitalizing a letter made such a difference.

So................
If your "True Self" created the limited "illusory self" that needed to be cast aside in order for the non-existent "illusory self" to see the Reality of the "True Self", why did the "True Self" bother with such an exercise to begin with?

godnotgod

Thou art That
It might be conditional on Absolute Nothingness, or maybe it's the Changeless Somethingness which you see in Plato's Cave when you have an attack of Cosmic Consciousness?
I keep losing track. ;)

Don't worry. Just have another ice cream cone and you'll be just fine.

godnotgod

Thou art That
The problem is that we ARE listening to a messenger whose message doesn't make much sense.

So stop listening! DUH!:p

(then, again, does the Universe 'make sense'? Quantum Physics seems to have upset more than one applecart.)