• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Could Nothingness Be Another Dimension In And Of Itself?

Unification

Fine. So don't call it Buddhism. You can imagine you are a photon...are you then in a position to appropriate Einstein and call your ideas the theory of relativity ?

Everyone is a human being. The same nature that resides within me resides within another. I don't think that that nature needs to be monopolized as being called "Buddhism." I certaintly don't believe texts are monopolized or that someone needs the label "Buddhist" to read them and find great wisdom. Those same characteristics are innate within all.

I'm beyond labels. That is what I meant. Meant no offense.

As for the traditions, I think they are lovely and have many great positive things. Anything that would create harm or divide in those traditions is where I'd disagree.

Papoon

Everyone is a human being. The same nature that resides within me resides within another. I don't think that that nature needs to be monopolized as being called "Buddhism." I certaintly don't believe texts are monopolized or that someone needs the label "Buddhist" to read them and find great wisdom. Those same characteristics are innate within all.

I'm beyond labels. That is what I meant. Meant no offense.

As for the traditions, I think they are lovely and have many great positive things. Anything that would create harm or divide in those traditions is where I'd disagree.
The 'traditions' are generally passed on orally, directly, to avoid the fabrications so beloved of the homebrew gurus.

godnotgod

Thou art That
What two ? That contradicts your earlier zen quote, and is dualism.

The 'seeming' two of the Ordinary and the Miraculous. In reality, they are One Reality, just as Nirvana and Samsara appear as two to the ordinary mind, but in fact, are the same.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
All language is founded in dualism...even the teaching about non-dualism is dualism......"In the same way, monks, I have taught the Dhamma [dharma] compared to a raft, for the purpose of crossing over, not for the purpose of holding onto. Understanding the Dhamma as taught compared to a raft, you should let go even of Dhammas, to say nothing of non-Dhammas."

Papoon

No. Not the same. Simply either problematically opposed...or not.

And if ordinary mind and 'the miraculous' are the same, why do you bother differentiating them ? What can be gained ? What is the point ? Who or what could possibly benefit ? The 'non existent' ego, or Buddha ?

godnotgod

Thou art That
No. Not the same. Simply either problematically opposed...or not.

And if ordinary mind* and 'the miraculous' are the same, why do you bother differentiating them ? What can be gained ? What is the point ? Who or what could possibly benefit ? The 'non existent' ego, or Buddha ?

Those who are seeking for the Miraculous apart from the Ordinary. They do not see The Ordinary as being The Miraculous due to conditioned mind.

Another way of putting it is:

'That which you are seeking is what is causing you to seek'

*(it's The Ordinary and The Miraculous)

Last edited:

Runewolf1973

Materialism/Animism
All language is founded in dualism...even the teaching about non-dualism is dualism......"In the same way, monks, I have taught the Dhamma [dharma] compared to a raft, for the purpose of crossing over, not for the purpose of holding onto. Understanding the Dhamma as taught compared to a raft, you should let go even of Dhammas, to say nothing of non-Dhammas."

That's a good point. When I use the word interaction for example, it is not my intention to express a specific duality of any sort. Anyone who sees interaction solely as a duality is not understanding what I mean correctly. I am expressing interaction as a total action of the universe... Interconnectivity. In actuality, the word interaction indicates that which is not quite singular, yet not quite dual. It is neither, but at the same time it is both. Not one, not two. It is All. The apparent duality acting as a singularity. The apparent singularity acting as a duality. I believe there is no true singularity or "oneness" anymore than there is a true duality or "twoness". Not this, not that. All.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
But don't you see that what is being denied is merely an idea?

Now the question becomes: 'who, or what, is it that is denying the ego?
An idea is an existent. It's not ego or denial that needs to exit the image, but the author.

Edit: Where you jump up and deny ego is where you support it in its existence. We can't deny non-existents--they don't exist.

Last edited:

Papoon

Those who are seeking for the Miraculous apart from the Ordinary. They do not see The Ordinary as being The Miraculous due to conditioned mind.

Another way of putting it is:

'That which you are seeking is what is causing you to seek'

*(it's The Ordinary and The Miraculous)
So why are you saying this to people who are not seeking the miraculous ?