• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

could the holy spirit be a female entity?

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
This is not as much logical deduction as it is mass assumption.
Unless you contend that the divine is as limited as man...
I'll grant that it wasn't well presented, but how can even God Create something without first conceiving it?

McBell

Admiral Obvious
I'll grant that it wasn't well presented, but how can even God Create something without first conceiving it?
I do not know, nor do I pretend to.
However, it seems to me that it is merely an assumption that God has such a limitation.
Especially given all the hoopla about how god is all powerful...

I understand that personification is human nature, however, I cannot help but see the personification of god to be anything more than assumption.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
I do not know, nor do I pretend to.
However, it seems to me that it is merely an assumption that God has such a limitation.
Especially given all the hoopla about how god is all powerful...

I understand that personification is human nature, however, I cannot help but see the personification of god to be anything more than assumption.
Well, I've contested the assumption that human logic and natural law apply to God more than once, so I'm not saying I agree either way.

That said, it IS a perfectly logical deduction, which you flatly denied.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Then why give genderless things gender? Anthropomorphism confuses more than it clarifies.
Probably to avoid the God becoming Deus Otiosus -- an idle, remote divinity whom people do not really concern themselves with, and so those with a worship inclination will start worshipping something else, at a guess?

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
Probably to avoid the God becoming Deus Otiosus -- an idle, remote divinity whom people do not really concern themselves with, and so those with a worship inclination will start worshipping something else, at a guess?
I wouldn't say lack of anthropomorphism would create an idle god, just a rather alien god. "The Lord works in mysterious ways" and all that.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
I wouldn't say lack of anthropomorphism would create an idle god, just a rather alien god. "The Lord works in mysterious ways" and all that.
I realized I missed off part of this post, shortly after I left the computer. :D
I should have added, also in a vain attempt to understand the Divine and its nature, often through use of metaphor. Kids, for example, do not understand "God is the absolute sum of all that is that resides within and beyond all", but would understand "God is a man, He lives in the Sky" -- so perhaps it's like that for those who have little actual understanding (either through lack of learning, or interest in its nature), but would rather just "get on" with everything?

"I don't need to know what God is, I just need to know how to make Him happy" sort of thing?

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Some people want a God who's more relatable. Others use relatable imagery and phrasing to convey more abstract ideas.

Or, y'know... what Odion just said. ;)

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Gjallarhorn!!! How about my 'Mother-Nature-all-things' God being an egg? Just an egg? The whole universe just so. So the egg is all that is needed? But an egg is definitely 'female(ish)' to my way of thinking. Even so, sweet in the giving and ruthless in the taking. ?

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
Gjallarhorn!!! How about my 'Mother-Nature-all-things' God being an egg? Just an egg? The whole universe just so. So the egg is all that is needed? But an egg is definitely 'female(ish)' to my way of thinking. Even so, sweet in the giving and ruthless in the taking. ?
Where's the albumen?

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
I like my eggs fried. Or maybe baked with some leeks and apples.

Egg with apples? What? I've heard of bitter/sweet and all that, but eggs with apples? But then, I hear that Americans eat pancakes with sausages and syrup.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
really?
Where did I "flatly deny" that it is not logical?

I do recall stating that it is more assumption than logic...
Here:
This is not as much logical deduction as it is mass assumption.
I remembered stronger phrasing, sorry. But it's pretty clear (TO ME) that you were contesting the logic of it.

Can we skip the nit-picking and hair slitting, though? I'm in a bit of shock with the news about Lawrence.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Egg with apples? What? I've heard of bitter/sweet and all that, but eggs with apples? But then, I hear that Americans eat pancakes with sausages and syrup.
I know it sounds weird, but it's really quite delicious. My favorite luxury breakfast.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Here:

I remembered stronger phrasing, sorry. But it's pretty clear (TO ME) that you were contesting the logic of it.

Can we skip the nit-picking and hair slitting, though? I'm in a bit of shock with the news about Lawrence.
I understand about your shock over Lawrence, however, I fail to see the relevance to this thread...

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
I have no idea how you think that, but I giggled. :p
"I don't need to know what God is, I just need to know how to make Him happy"

The second half implies knowledge of the first. How can you make someone happy if you know absolutely nothing about them? It's the same as saying you don't need to know how to start a car, put it into drive, and work the pedals in order to drive to the store.