• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

could the holy spirit be a female entity?

I seem to think the holy spirit may be a female entity. it kind of makes sense when u think of it as an archetype of the nuclear family. Father, Mother, Son. only that scripture is somehow adulterated. the spirit of God is the feminine divine that God uses to do his will. a bit like shakti and shiva in hinduism. maybe that's why there is a common belief in the virgin mary, isis, mother nature, as a type of the feminine divine . Sun, Moon, Earth / Father, Mother, son. the pattern just fits don't you think? the Catholics maybe on to something. It's the left side of God which has been erronously attributed to the dark side of God. Its probably the female side of God.

Last edited:

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Well, the Holy Spirit is referred to in the feminine in Hebrew, I believe.

But for me, personally, even if I were a Christian? I don't think so. I don't believe God has a gender so it would not literally be female.

As Śakti, however? I could dig that. God the Father, the Unmanifest, The Spirit, the Mover. I like that, although I'm not big on divine incarnations though.

Oh, and welcome to RF :)

in a spiritual way, the physical is a reflection of the super-physical. female attributes like womb etc are more related to the nature of the holy spirit. I think that's how God created the universe. "the big bang theory"?

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Yep! Definitely! I think there are two Gods.
The God of everything, or 'Mother Nature'
And the God of everything else, or the Great Nothingness.
But this God here and now........ female(ish) I think

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
Ummmmmmm...... don't know, but I think of my God as Female(ish). Why, did you think that the God of the bible has a winkle?
That was going to be the second part of my question. The concept of assigning gender to concepts is rather childish, like saying my chair is female because it is receptive of and cradles my enormous bum. :D

hahahaha. very funny. @gjalla... when you think of it. childbirth is through the vagina so for creation i think a similar law may apply. don't take it too literally, its not like that. or like to do female plants have vaginas? no its not like that..

idav

Being
Premium Member
In proverbs wisdom is personified as female. Holy spirit could be seen as Sophia in gnostic terms.

conventional christianity seems to have somehow lost it? like interpreting stuff in scripture too literally? when in fact, there's some kind of deeper hidden meaning to it. like the genesis account of creation..

@mesterman. logical deduction... every car thats been manufactured by man first existed as an idea, a concept. so everything in the physical probably was originally an concept in the faculties of the divine..

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
Eh, not really. A depressing number of people fail at it, but it's actually quite basic.
I think the question presented leads towards that slippery slope. "Could the Holy Spirit be a female entity?" is already on that side of the fence. Now, "Could the Holy Spirit be considered feminine?" would be a safe choice. It's talking of interpretation of spirit, not spirit itself.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
in a spiritual way, the physical is a reflection of the super-physical.
How do you know?
@mesterman. logical deduction... every car thats been manufactured by man first existed as an idea, a concept. so everything in the physical probably was originally an concept in the faculties of the divine..
This is not as much logical deduction as it is mass assumption.
Unless you contend that the divine is as limited as man...