• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Creationism Creates Confusion for Christians

Esteban X

Ditto
I think I get what you are implying. That there must be a higher power, a "God" responsible for Life, the Universe and Everything. This is not an incontestable proposition, and even if true it does not follow that the Bible is an "insprired" work any more than any other holy text, even Harry Potter come to that.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
Ditto
I think I get what you are implying. That there must be a higher power, a "God" responsible for Life, the Universe and Everything. This is not an incontestable proposition, and even if true it does not follow that the Bible is an "insprired" work any more than any other holy text, even Harry Potter come to that.

It's a long running battle about trying to get her to explain the diversity of life to me because she claims evolution is false because there is no "proof".

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Lol, you made me laugh. Go over the truth or validity of evolution, lol, ok? Start from uh the beginning of evolution. Not heavens forbid abiogenesis because we know that had nothing to do with evolution, right?
Evolution deals with life after it began. Why do you have such a hard time understanding this. Let's say that God magically poofed the first living cell into existence. You seem to believe that he could do that. The offspring of that cell would be the beginning of evolution.

Right now it looks like abiogenesis started with a form of chemical evolution that was the forerunner of biological evolution. That means that just as there are no sharp lines between species as they evolve, there will likely be no sharp line between "alive" and "not alive yet". You should try to learn not to expect borders. As you know, people are still apes. There is no sharp line in evolution between "this is an ape and her son is not". It does not work that way. That is why it is factual to say that if someone claims to be human that person is also claiming to be an ape.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Again...I hope to see in my lifetime. If not, while I'm alive I hope to see in the future.
You may understand some day how your claims about evolution have been refuted. It is not as if new scientific discoveries need to be made. The only one stopping you from understanding is you.

Astrophile

We do have our own view of life. I believe it is miraculous, beyond human understanding and duplication by scientists, testtubes experiments included. Atomic bombs have been invented but the elements were there.
The elements that were used in atomic bombs were produced by nuclear reactions in stars. In particular, uranium and thorium were probably produced by rapid neutron capture during mergers of neutron stars.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
The elements that were used in atomic bombs were produced by nuclear reactions in stars. In particular, uranium and thorium were probably produced by rapid neutron capture during mergers of neutron stars.
But there was nothing there or anywhere before the big bang, is that right? Except for what was there for the big bang, isn't that right?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
But there was nothing there or anywhere before the big bang, is that right? Except for what was there for the big bang, isn't that right?
We do not know what there was before the Big Bang. There may not even have been a "before". Time may have started with the Big Bang. So the phrase "before the Big Bang" may be nonsense. And the Big Bang was an expansion of space itself. Since we cannot see space expanding on our scale that is a concept that is alien to us. It is very hard for us to comprehend space itself expanding.

YoursTrue

Ditto
Actually we are born without language comprehension. Culture around can form and influence a person's consciousness and thoughts.

Esteban X

I know you're going for sarcasm but you are dangerously close to the facts. According to the theory not only was there nothing there before the Big Bang. There was no "there" or "before". Time and space as we understand the terms came into being with the expansion of the singularity.

YoursTrue

I know you're going for sarcasm but you are dangerously close to the facts. According to the theory not only was there nothing there before the Big Bang. There was no "there" or "before". Time and space as we understand the terms came into being with the expansion of the singularity.
It is inexplicable unless someone says, well that's the way it is. -- maybe.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
What some within Christianity doesn't seemingly get is that by denying such a thing as the basic process of evolution, they make at least their version of Christianity appear to be an exercise in ignorance and/or dishonesty, and it's the main reason I left the fundamentalist church I grew up in. It's basically denying a reality that has been repeatedly observed.

YoursTrue

hmm, When a religion claims to be based on the Bible but denies and casts doubt on what the Bible says about many things, and I'm not speaking of parables or illustrations which can certainly be misunderstood, that religion is off base. There are so many gaps in the theory of evolution that to say it is true is a sad thing. To believe evolution is how it all happened is saying that the Bible is lying. To go further, I defy those who claim to belong to a church who believe in evolution to back up any belief they may have in God as exemplified in the Bible. Or, might they say -- well -- we just don't know...:)

YoursTrue

According to the Bible, it says "in the beginning..." So according to the Bible there was a beginning. I certainly cannot say I understand what was 'there' before with one exception, and as much as I think about it, I still cannot say I understand it.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
hmm, When a religion claims to be based on the Bible but denies and casts doubt on what the Bible says about many things, and I'm not speaking of parables or illustrations which can certainly be misunderstood, that religion is off base. There are so many gaps in the theory of evolution that to say it is true is a sad thing. To believe evolution is how it all happened is saying that the Bible is lying. To go further, I defy those who claim to belong to a church who believe in evolution to back up any belief they may have in God as exemplified in the Bible. Or, might they say -- well -- we just don't know...:)
You have it quite wrong. Much of the Bible consists of parables allegory and other literary tools. To read Genesis literally is to call God a liar. That is what you do quite regularly. You keep forgetting that according to your religious beliefs that God made everything and what he made tells us that Genesis cannot be literally true. You are claiming that God planted endless false evidence. You are claiming that God is a liar.

Treating Genesis as allegory does not make it "lies".

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member

And you have some esoteric ability that allows you to know the facts and be able to condemn anyone who doesn't think the same as you. How about sharing the secrets of this ability?