• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Creationist objections to plant evolution?

mycorrhiza

Most of the time, the debate seems focused on the evolution of animals, so let's talk about plants instead. As hybridization is very common in plants and the hybrids mostly are fertile, how would we define a plant "kind"? We also see a huge diversity within plant families (like apples and strawberries both belonging to the Rosaceae family).

Are there any good arguments against plant evolution?

(NOTE: Abiogenesis is not to be discussed here. That's a different subject.)

Me Myself

Back to my username
Humm interesting. I remember hearing somewhere than most the fruits and/or vegetables we eat we unedible in their original forms, but somehow early humans mixed plants that were really easy to farm but not good to eat, with some others that were good to eat, but bad to farm and many fruits of today happened that way.

Was the strawberry one of them? Is what I am saying completely bananas? :D (PUN!)

mycorrhiza

Humm interesting. I remember hearing somewhere than most the fruits and/or vegetables we eat we unedible in their original forms, but somehow early humans mixed plants that were really easy to farm but not good to eat, with some others that were good to eat, but bad to farm and many fruits of today happened that way.

Was the strawberry one of them? Is what I am saying completely bananas? :D (PUN!)

The two species that the strawberry is a hybrid of are both tasty and good to farm, but I guess that the taste and size of the strawberry was preferred since it is more commonly farmed. Personally, I prefer wild strawberries.

And I must say that I enjoyed the pun!

idav

Being
Premium Member
I object to any form of plant evolution cause we don't need them growing brains and taking over.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Non-sense! Seedless bananas and ultra sweet corns are gifts from god ever since the day of creation.
Exactly... everyone knows that God designed the Banana to be perfect for humans to eat.

[youtube]Y4yBvvGi_2A[/youtube]
Atheist Nightmare - YouTube

You just have to ignore the existence of "transitional species" like the wild banana. No problem.
wild_banana-300x225.jpg

Honestly though, I think creationists avoid plants because they are such good examples of evolution. Dogs have nothing on the Mustard (Brassica) plant.

mustardselection.jpg

wa:do

dust1n

Zindīq
I suspect that plants are a lot harder to talk about as a creation considering no 'complexity' issue can really be brought up. Most people will accept evolution within plants because it doesn't necessarily mean anything for humans (even though it totally does mean something for humans).

shawn001

Just for the information.

evolution of flowers

The first flowers

NOVA | First Flower | PBS

There are some thing to ponder after looking over the site. The video on this is awesome. A lot of very common flowers and plants come from a 60 mile valley in China.

mycorrhiza

The only objection I've seen against plant evolution, that wasn't actually directed towards abiogenesis, is that a creationist with an honorary Ph. D. allegedly found pollen in a rock older than the first pollen-bearing plants. It has since been debunked as a contamination, as no other pollen could be found in any of the rock samples and his process had been quite sloppy. That doesn't seem stop it from still appearing on creationist websites, though. And even if it was true, it could just indicate that there were pollen-producing plants earlier than we thought.

No creationist who has any arguments against plant evolution? Could plant evolution be true, but not animal evolution? I would honestly like to hear the argumentation, as the subject of creationism vs evolution interests me a lot.

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
i object. i mean god made all the plants for humans to use. except for pot. pot was gods mistake.

MD

qualiaphile
I'm not a creationist by any means but I am a theist and what I found fascinating was the prevalence of Fibonacci sequences in plants. Now this sequence most likely came about through the evolutionary processes of natural selection, but it is a sequence that is found in many things, from proteins that may lead to consciousness to nebulae.

Now the sequence isn't just random numbers but an addition of a series of numbers. As such it goes 0,1,1,2,3,5,8,13,21..etc. Anyways it's the prevalence of this sequence in nature and the special attribute of phi which is the angle with which matter distributes itself in systems with Fibonacci sequences that makes me wonder whether this is perhaps a sign of design. I'm not saying that it is design, it just makes me wonder.

Sir Roger Penrose himself stated that our universe has three attributes to it, material reality, consciousness and mathematics. So there is a lot more to it than meets the eye.

shawn001

13-Year-Old Designs Super-Efficient Solar Array Based on the Fibonacci Sequence

"Plenty of us head into the woods to find inspiration. Aidan Dwyer, 13, went to the woods and had a eureka moment that could be a major breakthrough in solar panel design.

On a bleak winter hiking trip to the Catskill Mountains, the 7th-grader from New York noticed a pattern among tree branches, and determined (as naturalist Charles Bonnet did in 1754) that the pattern represented the Fibonacci sequence of numbers. Aidan wondered why, and figured it had something to do with photosynthesis. "

13-Year-Old Designs Super-Efficient Solar Array Based on the Fibonacci Sequence | Popular Science

shawn001

Not to mention, the first bacteria to evolved photosynthesis was cynobacteria, around 3.8 billion years ago, which is why we have the oxygen atmophere we have today, its a product of biological evolution.

MD

qualiaphile
13-Year-Old Designs Super-Efficient Solar Array Based on the Fibonacci Sequence

"Plenty of us head into the woods to find inspiration. Aidan Dwyer, 13, went to the woods and had a eureka moment that could be a major breakthrough in solar panel design.

On a bleak winter hiking trip to the Catskill Mountains, the 7th-grader from New York noticed a pattern among tree branches, and determined (as naturalist Charles Bonnet did in 1754) that the pattern represented the Fibonacci sequence of numbers. Aidan wondered why, and figured it had something to do with photosynthesis. "

13-Year-Old Designs Super-Efficient Solar Array Based on the Fibonacci Sequence | Popular Science

Smart kid! Good for him (and hopefully for us as such innovative ideas can be furthered)

shawn001

another group figured out a way to create a solar panel in space and beam microwaves back to earth and then turn the microwaves back into electricity. One of the biggest problems is who would control the electricity then.