• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Creationist objections to plant evolution?

johnhanks

It's quite difficult to say when a plant is a different specie from other plant if both can hybridize and produce fertile offspring.
if two plants hybridise and produce fertile offspring, the BSC says they are by definition the same species.

As a rule, the emergence of new plant species following hybridisation has involved the production of a sterile hybrid, the sterility resulting from the two sets of parental chromosomes being too dissimilar to pair and undergo meiosis. Accidental doubling of chromosome number (allopolyploidy) then restores fertility, but isolates the hybrid from either of the parental types, clinching speciation. Examples of this mode of speciation, in both wild and cultivated plants, are numerous and well-documented.

otokage007

if two plants hybridise and produce fertile offspring, the BSC says they are by definition the same species.

As a rule, the emergence of new plant species following hybridisation has involved the production of a sterile hybrid, the sterility resulting from the two sets of parental chromosomes being too dissimilar to pair and undergo meiosis. Accidental doubling of chromosome number (allopolyploidy) then restores fertility, but isolates the hybrid from either of the parental types, clinching speciation. Examples of this mode of speciation, in both wild and cultivated plants, are numerous and well-documented.

yes i'm aware of that. But truth is, when I was a student, none of my professors of botany or plant physiology would agree that just because two different plants produce fertile offspring, they are the same species. I think it's actually a controversial topic for them. And it is even more controversial in the case of bacteria.

dust1n

Zindīq
Or algae.

Most algaes are considered part of the plant kingdom. I'm just curious as to what a biblical listing of plant types is to serve exactly in the discussion. Was that an argument against plant evolution or something? Just seems to be an incomplete list made a long time ago for no real particular reason.

otokage007

Aren't green algae part of the plant kingdom? Or are they protists?

Depends on the classification u are using. In some, they are included into protist. But I've never heard a classification that put any algae into the plant kingdom. Appart from some doing the photosyntesis, a plant and an alga have nothing in common!

Now that I think of it, when a botanist speaks about "vegetable", they are referring to plants, algae and fungi. So that they have in common, they are vegetables :D

Last edited:

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
Most algaes are considered part of the plant kingdom. I'm just curious as to what a biblical listing of plant types is to serve exactly in the discussion. Was that an argument against plant evolution or something? Just seems to be an incomplete list made a long time ago for no real particular reason.
Kinds is a Biblical description. i figured a biblical perpective might be helpful.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Chlorophyta?
Controversially... there is a lot of debate as to where to draw the phylum line dividing plants and green algae. Enough that in most plylogenies/cladograms they are considered the "sister group" to "the plants".

Streptophytina algae?
This one I will totally grant you. These guys are the most basal of the "plants" and are the group the land plants evolved from.

Though they are not considered "true plants" which is exclusive to the ferns, mosses, conifers and flowering plants. :cover:

Plant phylogenetics is really complex, I'm glad I deal with animals who are so much easier. :p

wa:do

dust1n

Zindīq
Controversially... there is a lot of debate as to where to draw the phylum line dividing plants and green algae. Enough that in most plylogenies/cladograms they are considered the "sister group" to "the plants".

This one I will totally grant you. These guys are the most basal of the "plants" and are the group the land plants evolved from.

Though they are not considered "true plants" which is exclusive to the ferns, mosses, conifers and flowering plants. :cover:

Plant phylogenetics is really complex, I'm glad I deal with animals who are so much easier. :p

Yeah well, APG III is still pretty new so there are some chinks to be worked out. I doubt it will be last classification system. We went from "it photosynthesizes, doesn't it" to "well it has chlorophyll a and b in chloroplast, doesn't it?" to... well I don't know yet. :D

Divisions at the earlier parts are intense because it's basically chemical differences. Guess a line has to be drawn somewhere, but multiple peoples gots the stick!

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Yeah well, APG III is still pretty new so there are some chinks to be worked out. I doubt it will be last classification system. We went from "it photosynthesizes, doesn't it" to "well it has chlorophyll a and b in chloroplast, doesn't it?" to... well I don't know yet. :D

Divisions at the earlier parts are intense because it's basically chemical differences. Guess a line has to be drawn somewhere, but multiple peoples gots the stick!
Chemical, genetic and morphological... how important is a cell wall, for example.