• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

criticizing Christianity

Comprehend

Res Ipsa Loquitur
Snowbear said:
I didn't say that. I said, 'There are actually many sects of non-LDS who do not take the Bible as their sole source of doctrine.'

and what about you, do you take the bible to be your sole source of doctrine or not?

logician

I'm an atheist but have read the xian bible thru twice and more besides, so I think I have the right to criticize Xianity.

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
I'm in the process of reading the bible for the first time, but I was immersed in Catholicism from when I was born to my Confirmation. I think I have some grounds to criticize but I don't, only some of the follwers who pick and choose which of Jesus' teachings to follow.

Random

comprehend said:
Is it necessary to have actually read the bible before one can criticize Christianity? I think it is. Cover to cover. Would anybody listen to me complain about some movie that I haven't seen? of course not. So why does anybody listen to people who argue against Christianity when they haven't actually read the Bible?

YES. I read it specifically so that I could say I had read it. You cannot meaningfully criticize that which you are not directly knowlegable about, after all.

BUT you should read it with an open mind, not with the intent of picking holes and winding up critical of it right from the start.

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
It depends, are we talking about actions or beliefs?
Some people have a difficult time making that distinction.

Random

Victor said:
It depends, are we talking about actions or beliefs?
Some people have a difficult time making that distinction.

Belief is action, Victor. :) Yes? No? Maybe?

Fluffy

A fool
If I ever criticise Christianity, it will be because a Christian has put forward an argument and I wish to attack it.

There are 2 ways in which I can debate to show that an argument is false (ie criticise it). I can either show that the premises are false (and if it is biblically based, that would require extensive knowledge of the bible) or I can show that the conclusion does not follow from the premise (which requires no biblical knowledge).

If you are talking about hurling slurs at Christianity then I don't think even reading the Bible can justify that.

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
Godlike said:
True. :( Unfortunately...

More unfortunate is that the ignorant attach actions to belief, where there is nothing to attach. I think it was G.K. Chesterton that said something like "The biggest turnoff to Christianity is Christians" (not exact but close enough).

Scott1

comprehend said:
I thought Christians took all of their doctrine from the Bible?
Not everything about Christianity is a "doctrine"...
You aren't saying that your religion is 20% from God and 80% from the reasoning of man are you? (I can't imagine that you are saying that, I am just trying to understand what you mean.)
Not the "reasoning of man" but Sacred Tradition:
"Sacred Tradition and Sacred Scripture... are bound closely together, and communicate one with the other. For both of them, flowing out from the same divine well-spring, come together in some fashion to form one thing, and move towards the same goal." Each of them makes present and fruitful in the Church the mystery of Christ, who promised to remain with his own "always, to the close of the age". "
CCC #80
so do you think (see bold above) that most criticism could be taken care of by actually reading another's doctrine before hand? I think so and I think it would make discussion all around much more informative, kind and productive.
It might make things better or worse... look at how many people read the Bible and get it twisted..... a better idea is an honest exchange between people... I think I can explain the Bible to a non-Christian better by talking about it rather than just flopping the thing in front of him/her.... but your results may vary.

Peace be with you,
S

comprehend said:
Is it necessary to have actually read the bible before one can criticize Christianity? I think it is. Cover to cover. Would anybody listen to me complain about some movie that I haven't seen? of course not. So why does anybody listen to people who argue against Christianity when they haven't actually read the Bible?

Would it not also be prudent to have read the whole Bible, cover to cover, before one claims to believe it? How can someone believe it if they don't know what it says? It seems that fewer and fewer Christians know much at all about the contents of the Bible:
http://www.irfi.org/articles/articles_51_100/bible_reading_declines.htm

I myself have read the Bible three times - once as a Christian, and twice more after I lost my faith. I've studied it fairly extensively, besides, but that doesn't necessarily, by itself, qualify me to critisize Christianity, as a religion, though it's something I enjoy doing. I retain the right to critisize what I consider to be bad behaviour, though, such as the current crop of evangelicals who are trying to have critical influence on our laws and government. I'm not saying that fundamentalists don't deserve representaion - they certainly do - but so do the rest of us that don't believe in their religion, be we moderate Christians, atheists, Muslims, or some other non-Chtistian group.

I do, however, like to debate the merits of the Bible, and its passages and verses - when they seem to me to be inconsistent, I usually will point that out to anyone who's interested.

Reactions: Pah

Comprehend

Res Ipsa Loquitur
Snowbear said:
I do. It is sufficient for doctrine.

are you saying it is incomplete?

do you believe it to be perfect?

the word *sufficient* doesn't sound very confident so I am probing...

Snowbear

Nita Okhata
comprehend said:
the word *sufficient* doesn't sound very confident so I am probing...
Really?? Sure sounds confident when Jesus uses it. When Paul uses it as well. I am confident the Bible is suffienct for doctrine. And am confident I have sufficiently answered the question you asked.

Reactions: Pah

Comprehend

Res Ipsa Loquitur
Snowbear said:
Really?? Sure sounds confident when Jesus uses it. When Paul uses it as well. I am confident the Bible is suffienct for doctrine. And am confident I have sufficiently answered the question you asked.

Sufficient is not nearly the same thing as *perfect* and we both know it. No offense but it seems you are going out of your way to NOT answer my questions. no problem though, obviously you don't have to. I didn't think it was a such a big deal.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
While the Bible contends that it is "sufficient", it never contends that it is "perfect". The scriptures seem to have made this distinction: why do you dispute it?

jmaster78

As a non-christian, I think alot of people criticise the people not the book. I respect people with faith, they are lucky to have it and so you would understandably get anoyed at someone picking holes in it. But a small percentage of christians do handle things the wrong way, when people are out enjoying themselves on a saturday afternoon with their children, they don't want to hear about how they're going to burn in hell forever. They would consider this type of preaching as verging on fanaticism, and religious fanatics can scare some people, christian or other!Plus there are people out there on both sides that just like a fight unfortunately.

Ðanisty

Scott1 said:
It might make things better or worse... look at how many people read the Bible and get it twisted..... a better idea is an honest exchange between people... I think I can explain the Bible to a non-Christian better by talking about it rather than just flopping the thing in front of him/her.... but your results may vary.
I mean no offense by this, but what you're suggesting is to prevent people from reading the bible objectively. If you explain the bible to them, then they learn your interpretation of the bible. I think it would be better for everyone to interpret the bible for themselves.