• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cross Or Tree?

Sleeppy

Fatalist. Christian. Pacifist.
Was Jesus Christ crucified on the traditional cross or on a tree?

I ask that everyone interested in the question, do their own research and reply. Thanks.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist

I ask that everyone interested in the question, do their own research and reply. Thanks.

Cross. Why? Because that is how Romans crucified people. Next question please? Maybe, what size shoe did Jesus wear?

A

angellous_evangellous

Here's some research. I don't think that "tree" or "cross" is even a question.

Crucifixion : the archaeological evidence - remains of a Jewish victim of crucifixion found in Jerusalem.
By: Tzaferis, Vassilios. Source: Biblical Archaeology Review, 11 no 1 Ja-F 1985, p 44-53.

Crucifixion in antiquity: an inquiry into the background of the New Testament terminology of crucifixion
By: Samuelsson, Gunnar. Göteborg: University of Gothenburg, 2010 . Publication Type: Book

Envisioning crucifixion: light from several inscriptions and the Palatine graffito
By: Cook, John Granger. Source: Novum testamentum, 50 no 3 2008, p 262-285.

Crucifixion in ancient Palestine, Qumran literature, and the New Testament.
By: Fitzmyer, Joseph A. Source: Catholic Biblical Quarterly, 40 no 4 O 1978, p 493-513.

Sleeppy

I want to urge seriousness. Why not? If we are Christians or Jews, let us be serious as "sons of the Most High".

Kroft

The cross was given to Constantine in the 4th century. Jesus was on a stake. If crucifiction was so common as people believe, there would be thousand of human bones with nails through then today, there has only been 1 found. Any encyclopedia will tell you that it was a stake.

elmarna

Can I ask - why you are considering a tree?
I know it is native amercan torture prctices in the revelutionary war.
I know the tree is of importance to Druid practices and the norse.
I just do not see why you are considering the tree!
Please let me understand this.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist

The cross was given to Constantine in the 4th century. Jesus was on a stake. If crucifiction was so common as people believe, there would be thousand of human bones with nails through then today, there has only been 1 found. Any encyclopedia will tell you that it was a stake.
Actually, encyclopedias will tell you that it was on a cross, as that is how people were crucified.

Also, any good work on crucifixion will also tell you that the nails, the timbers, etc, were reused over and over again, and then the body disposed into a shallow grave. More so, the nail didn't even have to go through a bone. So really, there is no reason to expect to find remains.

We do have quite a bit of records though that state that there were massive amounts of people crucified, and the means of which was on a cross (at least by the Romans).

Sleeppy

Here's some research. I don't think that "tree" or "cross" is even a question.

Crucifixion in antiquity: an inquiry into the background of the New Testament terminology of crucifixion
By: Samuelsson, Gunnar. Göteborg: University of Gothenburg, 2010 . Publication Type: Book

When I search for this one, everything that comes up is about this publication questioning the crucifixion. As far as I know, Samuelsson is asking the same question I am.

Do you have a link for any of these?

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist

I may be wrong, but I think he is referring to a passage written by Paul that states that anyone hung from a tree is cursed (Paul was referencing an OT command). Really, it is based on a misunderstanding of Paul though.

Sleeppy

Acts 5:30..

"The God of our fathers did raise up Jesus, whom ye slew, having hanged upon a tree."

..among other scriptures

Sleeppy

http://www.belzian.com/articles/historical-jesus/#foot_note_4

As mentioned above, only the crossbeam would have been carried to Golgotha. Popular depictions of Jesus have shown him carrying the entire cross; however, that would be highly unlikely. A full cross would weigh well over 300 pounds. Even for a person who had not undergone flogging would have had difficulty carrying the mass of an entire cross. In contrast, the cross beam would have weighed between 75-125 pounds, which would have been manageable.

I think this is noteworthy and interesting information, so I'll put it up here.

Sleeppy

In certain passages in the Bible another Greek word -- stauros -- has been translated “cross.” According to Vine’s Expository Dictionary of Old and New Testament Words, its primary meaning is “upright pole” or “stake.” However, it can also refer to a crossbar -- see The Zondervan Pictorial Encyclopedia of the Bible, Vol. 1, p. 1038. The same word, therefore, may refer to the CROSSBAR, the actual pole or TREE, or the crossbar/tree as a composite unit. Note the following –

As they led him away, they seized Simon from Cyrene...and put the cross [crossbar] on him and made him carry it behind Jesus (Luke 23:26, NIV).

Pilate had a notice prepared and fastened to the cross [crossbar]. It read: Jesus of Nazareth, the King of the Jews (John 19:19, NIV).

This page has a lot to say about this: The Messiah's Crucifixion Tree

A

angellous_evangellous

When I search for this one, everything that comes up is about this publication questioning the crucifixion. As far as I know, Samuelsson is asking the same question I am.

Do you have a link for any of these?

:facepalm:

A

angellous_evangellous

Smileys are nice. But I'm not interested in them. Do you have any links or quotes? Anything more useful to us?

Probably not. What I've provided is actual research - you know, the stuff that professionals spent time on - it's peer reviewed and valuable. They don't post that stuff online for free.

You just may have to get up and go to a library to read that stuff, and the sources that they quote may only be available in the library.

You asked for research. You got it.