• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cult Test

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Cult is a rather subjective term.
My experience has been that the most commonly used definition of "cult" is:
"any group with beliefs that differ from the person using the word cult"​

I believe cult means any organized group that discourages individuality in favor of group status.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
I assumed this thread was about religious cults as it is in the comparative religion section, but what we generally consider to be cults are religious/spiritualist based. Maybe it comes from the word "occult?" I'm not sure about that.

I understand how you would make such an assumption.
Which is why I asked "Do you limit the cult status to religious groups?"

A question you forgot to answer in your reply.

`mud

Just old
Premium Member
I think a cult is:
'Group focused worship' of any one person, or spirit.
~
`mud

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Group status is a great goal to aim for imo. We are one Earth and Earth's status should be of utmost importance. But I think there are much better ways of getting to the ultimate goal than to get there by making everyone the same. That is what a cult's objective is. If cult means worship, and worship means no other way, then cults is what causes conflict because Earth is one and can therefore only sustain one objective.

Wherenextcolumbus

I understand how you would make such an assumption.
Which is why I asked "Do you limit the cult status to religious groups?"

A question you forgot to answer in your reply.

give me an example of other cults? It not an assumption, it comes from a word which means worship...
plus I never even said there are only religious cults I said all organised religions are cults, there are different warning signs and opinions on what constitutes a harmful cult though.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
An example of other cults.... Men's clubs are cults. I can't give you a specific one.

Isn't North Korea a cult? ....or is it South Korea?

Nevermind....I'm kidding. I know it's North.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
give me an example of other cults? It not an assumption, it comes from a word which means worship...
plus I never even said there are only religious cults I said all organised religions are cults, there are different warning signs and opinions on what constitutes a harmful cult though.

Now you are all over the place.
Though i suspect it is not intentional.

I am not making any accusations, I am merely curious as to whether you limit cult status to religions.

Some people would say that the KKk is a cult, along with Alcoholic Anonymous, The Black Panthers, the ACLU...

You flat out said you made an assumption in post #16.
I understand that assumption, and am merely curious about the limits (if any) you put on cult status.

I am not limiting the cult status question to "harmful" cults.

Wherenextcolumbus

Now you are all over the place.
Though i suspect it is not intentional.

I am not making any accusations, I am merely curious as to whether you limit cult status to religions.

Some people would say that the KKk is a cult, along with Alcoholic Anonymous, The Black Panthers, the ACLU...

You flat out said you made an assumption in post #16.
I understand that assumption, and am merely curious about the limits (if any) you put on cult status.

I am not limiting the cult status question to "harmful" cults.

I said maybe it comes from the word occult question mark, it was a question. and then I found out it comes from the Latin word for WORSHIP. Why do some people think the KKK, AA and the BP are cults? If the word literally means worship then yes a cult is religious based, unless we are just going to call any group we feel is harmful a cult.

`mud

Just old
Premium Member
Those define a dangerous cult. Not all cults are dangerous.....are they?
from Savagewind

A lot of the time they wear robes and such, in their own courts of order.
and they all have the problem with worship, to: who, when, where....$$$
There's all kinds of 'cults'.
~
`mud

McBell

Admiral Obvious
I said maybe it comes from the word occult question mark, it was a question. and then I found out it comes from the Latin word for WORSHIP. Why do some people think the KKK, AA and the BP are cults? If the word literally means worship then yes a cult is religious based, unless we are just going to call any group we feel is harmful a cult.

You seem overly stuck on your favoured definition of the word cult.
Since I do not know how better to explain the point you keep missing, I will stop further confusing you.

Wherenextcolumbus

You seem overly stuck on your favoured definition of the word cult.
Since I do not know how better to explain the point you keep missing, I will stop further confusing you.

it's not a favoured definition it is the root meaning of the word, you are not confusing me, but have a nice day

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member

It seems ou are mistakingly equating worship with The God or a god. Anything can be worshipped. Money can be worshipped. It is what some exclusive clubs worship. Maybe the KKK worships the white man.

worship defined - a. The reverent love and devotion accorded a deity, an idol, or a sacred object.

Some people consider the self a sacred object. The KKK considers only the white self a sacred object.

Some people consider the works of Karl Marx sacred. Sacred meaning venerated.

The Governing Body of Jehovah's Wintesses is venerated.

To some Jews the Law is venerated.

The Bible is venerated. People are using the Bible to define what righteousness is. Anyone putting The Bible on high to venerate it is making it their cult.

Any group getting together to venerate any object, person or place and making rules for fear they might not win it are cultish.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
That would kind of mean having a job would make you part of a cult.

I understand what you are saying. The difference between a job and a cult is a cult governs one's whole life and even one's thoughts. A job is a job. You can think whatever you want to. It is wise not to say what you are thinking or you might lose your job. You can go home after work and do as you please. A business is not a cult, even though it needs cult like cooperation to succeed. If the business dictates what you can say after work and do after work, then sure, it is a cult.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
it's not a favoured definition it is the root meaning of the word, you are not confusing me, but have a nice day

Like I said, you are stuck on your favoured definition of the word (the "root" meaning) and are ignoring all other definitions.

Cult
1610s, "worship," also "a particular form of worship," from French culte (17c.), from Latin cultus "care, labor; cultivation, culture; worship, reverence," originally "tended, cultivated," past participle of colere "to till" (see colony). Rare after 17c.; revived mid-19c. with reference to ancient or primitive rituals. Meaning "devotion to a person or thing" is from 1829.

Cult. An organized group of people, religious or not, with whom you disagree. [Rawson]

Online Etymology Dictionary

Last edited by a moderator:

Wherenextcolumbus

It seems ou are mistakingly equating worship with The God or a god. Anything can be worshipped. Money can be worshipped. It is what some exclusive clubs worship. Maybe the KKK worships the white man.

worship defined - a. The reverent love and devotion accorded a deity, an idol, or a sacred object.

Some people consider the self a sacred object. The KKK considers only the white self a sacred object.

Some people consider the works of Karl Marx sacred. Sacred meaning venerated.

The Governing Body of Jehovah's Wintesses is venerated.

To some Jews the Law is venerated.

The Bible is venerated. People are using the Bible to define what righteousness is. Anyone putting The Bible on high to venerate it is making it their cult.

Any group getting together to venerate any object, person or place and making rules for fear they might not win it are cultish.
Ok cool I get that.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Like I said, you are stuck on your favoured definition of the word (the "root" meaning) and are ignoring all other definitions.

Cult
1610s, "worship," also "a particular form of worship," from French culte (17c.), from Latin cultus "care, labor; cultivation, culture; worship, reverence," originally "tended, cultivated," past participle of colere "to till" (see colony). Rare after 17c.; revived mid-19c. with reference to ancient or primitive rituals. Meaning "devotion to a person or thing" is from 1829.

Cult. An organized group of people, religious or not, with whom you disagree. [Rawson]

Online Etymology Dictionary

I do not know if you are being funny. There will always be disagreements between people. There are groups I believe can rightly be defined as cults but it is not because I disagree with them. I am sympathetic of the Jehovah's Witnesses. There are aspects of Communism that I am sympathtic of. I trust a man's club can exist. I have no qualms about clubs. I think I agree with the authorities that cults have the right to exist. It is when they reach out of their "club" status to try and control others that I strongly disagree with. The Jehovah's Witnesses have become like that. Other Bible cults have become like that. I do not think ignoring them is the best route to go. That is why I am here. I am not ignoring it.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
I do not know if you are being funny. There will always be disagreements between people. There are groups I believe can rightly be defined as cults but it is not because I disagree with them. I am sympathetic of the Jehovah's Witnesses. There are aspects of Communism that I am sympathtic of. I trust a man's club can exist. I have no qualms about clubs. I think I agree with the authorities that cults have the right to exist. It is when they reach out of their "club" status to try and control others that I strongly disagree with. The Jehovah's Witnesses have become like that. Other Bible cults have become like that. I do not think ignoring them is the best route to go. That is why I am here. I am not ignoring it.

I have no idea what has gotten you all up in arms.
What is it you think I am saying/implying?