• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cult Test

McBell

Admiral Obvious
I do not know. Is he?
I am merely looking for clarification.
You said you do not believe the AA to be a cult.
Is this based on how you define a cult, or how the person calling the AA a cult defines cult?

Here's one for you. Am I wrong about the Jehovah's Witnesses? It's possble. I have been wrong before. Once, I think it was. Maybe twice.....
Which definition of cult are we going to use?
If we go by your definition, then they are a cult.
If we go by their definition....

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
You said you do not believe the AA to be a cult.
Is this based on how you define a cult, or how the person calling the AA a cult defines cult?
Neither. I do not know AA.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Which definition of cult are we going to use?
If we go by your definition, then they are a cult.
If we go by their definition....

By their definition they are not a cult. Their definition of cult requires a human leader. They believe Jesus leads them. They are taught that what the governing body tell them is what Jesus would tell them [if he could].

Do you know what these [ ] mean?

McBell

Admiral Obvious
By their definition they are not a cult. Their definition of cult requires a human leader. They believe Jesus leads them. They are taught that what the governing body tell them is what Jesus would tell them [if he could].

Do you know what these [ ] mean?

I most commonly see and use them in internet code.
However, i suspect you are referring to their use in quotes to signify an outside opinion.

And by outside opinion I am meaning that the opinion is coming from someone other than the person who made the quote.

In the quote above you are using them to indicate that you are adding your opinion (the part in brackets) to what you claim are taught.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I most commonly see and use them in internet code.
However, i suspect you are referring to their use in quotes to signify an outside opinion.

And by outside opinion I am meaning that the opinion is coming from someone other than the person who made the quote.

Right! They would never admit Jesus is not ABLE to lead them. He just doesn't. He needs the governing body to do it, apparently.

The [ ] were .... was? my commentary. The rest of the sentence is true I think. As far as I know it is their opinion except for the part in the brackets.

Last edited:

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
How do you have that Jesus is not able to lead them?

I don't understand the question. How do I know Jesus is able to lead them? Or. How do I know they think Jesus is not able to lead them? Or. How do I know they are not being led by Jesus? There's probably more.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I do know if they can be persuaded to believe 1 Corinthians 15:33 means somehtinh entirely different, they might stop their hurtful behavior. They won't. If they won't stop teaching hurtful things in The Name of God, they will prove either God does not exist or they will prove that when God judges it won't be what pleases them. If enough people are not pleased by God's judgement discontent will spread to those not guilty of it.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
With good reason.
I screwed up the question.

my apologies.

It should have read:
How do you know that Jesus is not able to lead them?​

They believe the governing body of Jehovah's Witnesses are for leading them. If the people need a governing body to lead them it proves they can't be led by Jesus himslf. I do not believe it. That is why I left.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Hurtful behavior?
Such as?

Because of their strong stance on avoiding dissent they have caused people to commit suicide for losing their family. That is the worst case. They have kept families apart so that a child may be born to a daughter but her mother and father will never see the baby. It happens alot.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It might not seem so bad to keep a grandchild from it's grandparents to some people. There are many people whose whole life revolves around family. My husband is like that. Everything he does is for his family. If I had done what I was suppose to have done which is inculcate "the truth" into my children and they had become JWs and married JWs and had JW children and then I woke up, I would not be able to see them any more. It is what the governing body teach. I have seen videos of them teaching it. My husband would have been devastated. Me too, of course (and it would have been my fault). Have you ever felt that your heart was being ripped apart? That is how many people feel because of their strong (and wrong, I believe) view of 1 Cor 15:33. If they are indeed wrong and they are teaching it is God's will and it isn't and if God is real with feelings, imaginbe how God must feel? Tortured. Governments do not care about the feelings of God.