• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cutting back on Music

xkatz

I am seriously considering cutting back on how often I listen to music. I am thinking of cutting it almost completely except when traveling long distances and working out. It's because while I greatly enjoy music, I feel like I listen so much that I am not focusing on other things that I should be paying attention to; additionally, I feel like is an excessive attachment and something that I can live without so much of.

Is it possible to have music addiction, or am I just crazy?

Also, has anyone else here on RF done this?

Alceste

Vagabond
This is an outrage!

You should listen to music at all times. What kind of mad world would we be living in if there were such a thing as "too much music"?

OTOH, what are you listening to? Is it Justin Bieber? Celine Dion? Avril Levigne? Nelly Furtado? Nickleback? If so, while I wouldn't go so far as to recommend cutting back on music, I can definitely recommend some less obnoxious Canadian musicians to listen to.

xkatz

This is an outrage!

You should listen to music at all times. What kind of mad world would we be living in if there were such a thing as "too much music"?

OTOH, what are you listening to? Is it Justin Bieber? Celine Dion? Avril Levigne? Nelly Furtado? Nickleback? If so, while I wouldn't go so far as to recommend cutting back on music, I can definitely recommend some less obnoxious Canadian musicians to listen to.

I don't listen to any of those artists (thankfully).

Why do you think it's good to listen to more music than less?

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
Reminds me of my Muslim years when music was deemed totally forbidden(haraam).

Over the years my 5 hour music playlist dwindled and I no longer listen to music or play video games or even watch TV. I believe getting rid of these things help you to progress more and focus better in life. I listen to music on occasion but this is no more then a few songs every month.
My death metal days are over

Assad91

Shi'ah Ali
Music is good for you. Don't cut it completly out. Of corse too much is bad, but so is too little. Why not try to set like an hour to listion to some music. And if you think it prohibits you from focusing on other things, than join the two. Study while listioning to music with not lyrics.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Yep, I go along with what the guys above have already said. Music is AWESOME. I can see where watching tv or playing video games can start impacting too much on your time for reflection, intelligent thought, etc...but music? Nup...

There's music for every mood and occasion, including for reflection, or background for whilst you work/train/be productive.

Sidenote: I use the term 'music' with the hope that you understand Celine Dion is NOT music. If you're listening to Celine Dion, you have bigger issues than we can hope to solve here.

Pastek

Sunni muslim
Reminds me of my Muslim years when music was deemed totally forbidden(haraam).

The majority of muslims listen to music

I am seriously considering cutting back on how often I listen to music. I am thinking of cutting it almost completely except when traveling long distances and working out. It's because while I greatly enjoy music, I feel like I listen so much that I am not focusing on other things that I should be paying attention to; additionally, I feel like is an excessive attachment and something that I can live without so much of.

It's like TV. Too much is not good.

I think it's a good idea to listen less music because the problem with it, it's that you listen to a song, then another, then another, and you realize than you spend hours and hours just doing that.

When you travel you don't care about tv, about music and it's good to focus on something else. So, yes, i think you can try to limit your addiction to music.

Pastek

Sunni muslim
Sidenote: I use the term 'music' with the hope that you understand Celine Dion is NOT music. If you're listening to Celine Dion, you have bigger issues than we can hope to solve here.

I like Celine Dion ! :cool:

You must listen to her french songs, they are much better

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Whistle while you work ;0)

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I like Celine Dion ! :cool:

You must listen to her french songs, they are much better

:eek:

No, no, no...
Sooooooo far from the sort of music I would ever listen to. We'll just have to agree to disagree on that...lol

For what it's worth, my sister agrees with you re: Celine Dion and her French stuff. But it's my sister. She's clueless...
;)

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
There is much to be said for natural sounds around you at times.
They deserve a listen too.

Secret Chief

Degrow!
I don't know about an addiction or craziness, but it is a passion of mine, that I think enriches my life. For this reason I try to limit my listening to some extent, to relaxed times when I can fully enjoy it. Rather like a good single malt!!!!

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
The majority of muslims listen to music

I know they do but the majority of Shaykhs say not to listen to music. This is the humor of it. Numerous shaykhs and ulema denounce music entirely yet very few of them bring up ayah or minor narrations to validate this.
To make ALL music haraam is ludicrous and no evidence supports it but still I have never known any scholar who admits to this. It is just bizarre because i know plenty Muslims who listen to music and if you ever go on an Islamic forum you will see numerous threads on how to stop listening to music.
Watch a clip of the The Deen Show on youtube and notice the comments of people complaining about the intro music.
I do not understand this, very baffling. I understand what you are saying though but I am just referring to this from the typical scholarly perspective.

Do you know any who accept music as halal? I only know of Shi'ites and Quraniyun who believe music is acceptable. No Sunni.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
I find music to be far more engaging, interesting, and enlightening than most other noises that people make, so I prefer to listen to it as much as possible.

Pastek

Sunni muslim
I know they do but the majority of Shaykhs say not to listen to music. This is the humor of it. Numerous shaykhs and ulema denounce music entirely yet very few of them bring up ayah or minor narrations to validate this.

Do you know any who accept music as halal? I only know of Shi'ites and Quraniyun who believe music is acceptable. No Sunni.

I have my Qu'ran and some books, but i don't really listen to what they say in general.
All my family and my friends listen to music.
If you watch almost any arab chanel, you'll find music show.

I think it depends of what the content of the song is.

The father of the famous arab singer Om Kolthom is an Imam.
The father of the famous arab singer Muhammad Abdel Wahab was a muezzin.

I'm not sure, but i think that an other great arab singer Abdel Halim Hafez was the son of an Imam.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I prefer to create music in my head than to listen to other stuff most of the time. I still love a great deal of music forms but don't spend much time listening to them anymore. A couple of hours a week, tops. I've been going through The Cure songs, in my head, for about a week now, LOL. Basically, I start with riffs from the songs and built up textures around them. It's quite entertaining.