• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cutting back on Music

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
I prefer to create music in my head than to listen to other stuff most of the time. I still love a great deal of music forms but don't spend much time listening to them anymore. A couple of hours a week, tops. I've been going through The Cure songs, in my head, for about a week now, LOL. Basically, I start with riffs from the songs and built up textures around them. It's quite entertaining.

I recently worked out a simplified arrangement of "A Letter to Elise" for my acoustic guitar. Something fun to play and sing when I'm a bit tipsy and in a nostalgic mood for romanticizing the intensity of heartbreaks of youth.

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
I prefer to create music in my head than to listen to other stuff most of the time. I still love a great deal of music forms but don't spend much time listening to them anymore. A couple of hours a week, tops. I've been going through The Cure songs, in my head, for about a week now, LOL. Basically, I start with riffs from the songs and built up textures around them. It's quite entertaining.

there is a word for people who listen to music in there head and sane ain't one of them :p

Assad91

Shi'ah Ali
I know they do but the majority of Shaykhs say not to listen to music. This is the humor of it. Numerous shaykhs and ulema denounce music entirely yet very few of them bring up ayah or minor narrations to validate this.
To make ALL music haraam is ludicrous and no evidence supports it but still I have never known any scholar who admits to this. It is just bizarre because i know plenty Muslims who listen to music and if you ever go on an Islamic forum you will see numerous threads on how to stop listening to music.
Watch a clip of the The Deen Show on youtube and notice the comments of people complaining about the intro music.
I do not understand this, very baffling. I understand what you are saying though but I am just referring to this from the typical scholarly perspective.

Do you know any who accept music as halal? I only know of Shi'ites and Quraniyun who believe music is acceptable. No Sunni.

I suggest to stop listioning to salafi shayks. They dont make up majority.

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
I suggest to stop listioning to salafi shayks. They dont make up majority.

Yes I know it but the only major well respect ones are Saudi. Even foreign ones out of Saudi Arabia get their Islamic education there. Somehow people are under the false impression that a hunk of land claims a religion. If Islam is universal one should not be afraid to be taught it in Morocco or Jordan.
I do share your opinion on the monopoly Saudi Arabia is placing on Islam. I do not agree with it but nobody should make a universal religion bound by territory. If you are not an Arab speaking Saudi you get less respect as oppose to those who are. Wahhabi espousing shaykh have more authority in Islam then the Qur'an itself. I notice how they do not even quote their justification for things on Islamic media. They rarely ever provide a scriptural justification when being asked issues. Salafism ties culture with Islam so a certain culture/country can place more claim on a religion and narrow its viewpoint.
I do feel for what you say though :)

HiddenHijabi

I'd be willing to suggest that it's more than possible to live without making a habit of listening to music. I don't and I've found that I have more time to do important things, such as Qur'an reading, or studying Arabic, as well as prayers and social stuff. And yes, music is haraam in Islam, no ifs and buts about it.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I'd be willing to suggest that it's more than possible to live without making a habit of listening to music. I don't and I've found that I have more time to do important things, such as Qur'an reading, or studying Arabic, as well as prayers and social stuff. And yes, music is haraam in Islam, no ifs and buts about it.

Anyone who dislikes music has a dead heart.

HiddenHijabi

Anyone who dislikes music has a dead heart.

Actually there is a form of Islamically permissible music, called the nasheed, which typically features drums (and occasionally other percussion) and voice, or voice only. I do listen to nasheeds, so it's not as though I don't listen to ANY music at all.

xkatz

[youtube]qcg20SoJtzo[/youtube]
shpongle - the sixth revelation [HD] - YouTube

If there is a god, he wants you to listen to and enjoy this.

AbvJKUq.gif

Red Panda

I am seriously considering cutting back on how often I listen to music. I am thinking of cutting it almost completely except when traveling long distances and working out. It's because while I greatly enjoy music, I feel like I listen so much that I am not focusing on other things that I should be paying attention to; additionally, I feel like is an excessive attachment and something that I can live without so much of.

Is it possible to have music addiction, or am I just crazy?

Also, has anyone else here on RF done this?

I suggest turning it off when you have something you need to pay attention to, then turning it back on when you don't.

Music is good for you and there are many religious traditions which have sacred music as a part of it. If you've ever listened to Native American flutes or drums or celtic music or Gregorian chants or any other new age type music, you might have felt your spirits lift. Even if you don't listen to that type of music and prefer headbanging rock and roll, why give up something that you enjoy so much?

HiddenHijabi

Music now seems to have moved from being limited to specific purposes, and has now become something of a pervasive, ever-present white noise in most Western societies. There's music on virtually every TV programme (much of this is both annoying and unnecessary), is being blasted out in shops (often to very high levels), is played 24/7 on TV music channels and even walking down the average street, you'll find at least one person, headphones in their ears, dead to the world. It seems to have become something of an expectation that there's always got to be this background humming. This can make cutting it out when it's necessary sometimes very difficult if nigh on impossible.

Red Panda

Music now seems to have moved from being limited to specific purposes, and has now become something of a pervasive, ever-present white noise in most Western societies. There's music on virtually every TV programme (much of this is both annoying and unnecessary), is being blasted out in shops (often to very high levels), is played 24/7 on TV music channels and even walking down the average street, you'll find at least one person, headphones in their ears, dead to the world. It seems to have become something of an expectation that there's always got to be this background humming. This can make cutting it out when it's necessary sometimes very difficult if nigh on impossible.

:yes: People who take a boombox to the beach are particularly annoying. It's hard to hear the swoosh of the waves over the music blaring from the box. :(

In my opinion you don't need to cut out all music. Just make the music appropriate to the situation. When I'm working, I try to listen to music that has no words, and which to me has a more calming effect.

If I'm exercising, I listen to music that is a bit more upbeat and energetic.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member
I love music, but I also relish silence. Silence can sometimes be hard to come by, and when silence is not available, there's always music.

Alceste

Vagabond
there is a word for people who listen to music in there head and sane ain't one of them :p

What are you talking about? There is always music playing in my head. Even my dreams sometimes. I just wrote a song the other day that came straight from a dream. What do other people have going through their minds, if not a continuous soundtrack?

Alceste

Vagabond
In fact, half the time I listen to music outside my head it's only because the internal soundtrack is stuck on repeat and I want to drown it out.