• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cutting back on Music

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
What are you talking about? There is always music playing in my head. Even my dreams sometimes. I just wrote a song the other day that came straight from a dream. What do other people have going through their minds, if not a continuous soundtrack?

I used to try and still my mind. You know, empty it out completely, via meditation or something. I found it was possible, but it's much easier just to direct what's going on in there than stop it completely. So a lot of the time I 'switch' my brain to the drivel station, and just let it think about the next move I'll make in my Supercoach team, or the next book I might buy, or what car I'd get if I suddenly was given $50000 by a generous RF member...ahem...

All low/no stress stuff. And that drivel station sometimes plays music.

*shrugs*

The rest of time time I'm actively thinking about something.

xkatz

I was just thinking, maybe the problem is the TYPE (or genre) of music I am listening to? Maybe I should move towards more relaxing and peaceful genres such as classical, reggae, etc?

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I was just thinking, maybe the problem is the TYPE (or genre) of music I am listening to? Maybe I should move towards more relaxing and peaceful genres such as classical, reggae, etc?
I'm a big Mozart fan and adore many operatic pieces. Reggae, not so much. Why not try composing music in your head? Try it... you might really like it. I don't even play a musical instrument and yet can weave symphonies in my brain that go on for about an hour. Who needs an iPod, LOL?

Last edited:

Warren Clark

Informer
This is an outrage!

You should listen to music at all times. What kind of mad world would we be living in if there were such a thing as "too much music"?

OTOH, what are you listening to? Is it Justin Bieber? Celine Dion? Avril Levigne? Nelly Furtado? Nickleback? If so, while I wouldn't go so far as to recommend cutting back on music, I can definitely recommend some less obnoxious Canadian musicians to listen to.

Hey, I will argue for Celine's sake. She has some soul. I agree with the rest lol.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Actually, there are studies which show that Baroque music is beneficial to study and learning, and that is actually enhances the ability of a student to retain information. I studied accelerated learning principles at university, and that was a part of it.

[youtube]2K8YuSZjMWg[/youtube]
Super Learning Music - Baroque Tune at 60 bpm - Improves Study, Creativity and Chill - YouTube

The pace of the music is the most important thing. By playing it in the background, you can effectively slow your heartbeat slightly, and thus become more receptive to information.

MrOmega

OP fear of music is rare. Exhaustion is probably common. The headphones were on my head years non stop, and only recently did I find popular music a frightening experience. Normally my life has been nothing except non-mainstream alternative musics. Take the headphones off and leave them off, if that make you feel better. I find switching up and changing genres is the only thing that works.

MrOmega

Reminds me of my Muslim years when music was deemed totally forbidden(haraam).

Over the years my 5 hour music playlist dwindled and I no longer listen to music or play video games or even watch TV. I believe getting rid of these things help you to progress more and focus better in life. I listen to music on occasion but this is no more then a few songs every month.
My death metal days are over

I am similar, throwing the TV in the trash, and cutting myself off from habitual TV viewing sometime at the turn of the millennium. Video games same deal.

Music however is so great that, yeah feeling that music is dangerous, well that goes right back into the fifties with the Devils Music concerns of those times. Right? Damn shame that music listening still carries similar stigmas.

The computer in the trash might be around the corner, who knows, right? What is that Simpsons episode where the TV sets fritz out, and children run into the streets and frolic like paradise.

Last edited:

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
I can not go a single day without listening to music! I have to be careful I do not listen to too much heavy metal though, it can make me a little crazy lol.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
OTOH, what are you listening to? Is it Justin Bieber? Celine Dion? Avril Levigne? Nelly Furtado? Nickleback? If so, while I wouldn't go so far as to recommend cutting back on music, I can definitely recommend some less obnoxious Canadian musicians to listen to.
Is Nickleback Canadian? I've never cared for them much, but there bassist does put out some pretty good stuff every once in awhile.

Cutting back on music is something I can't do. I think I would go nuts without it. I have while I drive, play games, while I study, I can't even sleep at home without it, and when I dream there is music and when there is no music it is still going in my head.