• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Darwin's Illusion

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I'm afraid you completely misunderstood. I did not and still do not imagine that fish gave birth to humans in the short run. Mermaids maybe?
What I was saying is that according to the theory, including that of floppy fish that manage to crawl out of water for a while and then apparently forever, stopped needing total aqueous environment after millions of years, some kind of fish apparently is said to evolve into humans. Somehow somewhere.
No, not mermaids. Sea monkeys:

See, @Audie ?

gnostic

The Lost One
So do you know if these were around (on the earth) before organisms with brains?

Fossils of sponges were dated as early as the Ediacaran period, before the Cambrian Explosion. Of course, there are more Cambrian fossils than there are in the Ediacaran fossils of sponges.

However, based on the molecular clock, sponges could even be older than the Ediacaran, plus they may have fossil of the sponge's spicules.

The spicules are made of either calcium carbonate or silica, which served as skeleton for sponges. If this fossil be confirmed as spicule, then sponges could exist as early as 750 million old.

(source: Reitner J, Wörheide G (2002). "Non-lithistid fossil Demospongiae – origins of their palaeobiodiversity and highlights in history of preservation". Here is a link for you, PDF)

Sponges are older than most of the marine invertebrates that exist in the Cambrian, including the famous Arthropod trilobites.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
Maybe it is because we share a common ancestry with fish. More evidence.
More about humans eventually evolving from fish.

YoursTrue

Fossils of sponges were dated as early as the Ediacaran period, before the Cambrian Explosion. Of course, there are more Cambrian fossils than there are in the Ediacaran fossils of sponges.

However, based on the molecular clock, sponges could even be older than the Ediacaran, plus they may have fossil of the sponge's spicules.

The spicules are made of either calcium carbonate or silica, which served as skeleton for sponges. If this fossil be confirmed as spicule, then sponges could exist as early as 750 million old.

(source: Reitner J, Wörheide G (2002). "Non-lithistid fossil Demospongiae – origins of their palaeobiodiversity and highlights in history of preservation". Here is a link for you, PDF)

Sponges are older than most of the marine invertebrates that exist in the Cambrian, including the famous Arthropod trilobites.
So then, according to the theory, did brains evolve later on perhaps after sponges?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
So then, according to the theory, did brains evolve later on perhaps after sponges?
Not "according to the theory". That is a poorly framed question. It is according to the evidence. Sponges may have been some of the first animals. Do they have brains? In fact if you applied any rational thought to this problem you could have answered this for yourself. You should try to do so for just once in these threads.

YoursTrue

Not "according to the theory". That is a poorly framed question. It is according to the evidence. Sponges may have been some of the first animals. Do they have brains? In fact if you applied any rational thought to this problem you could have answered this for yourself. You should try to do so for just once in these threads.
Sorry but I'm still on mermen and merwomen. Why not?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
No no kidding. Mermaids, no? How about mermen. Well fish men and fish women mixing together eventually developing into ... Apes.
Since you have been trolling the thread. I decided to troll you a bit. But, yes, if you claim to be a human being then you are also claiming to be an ape.

YoursTrue

Why you can't squeeze a sponge brain? So let's be honest for a change. Sponges without brains came before substances with brains. Right? Not sponges with brains because it seems sponges are brainless.

YoursTrue

Why can't you just answer the question. Did sponges without brains pop up, I mean evolve, and then become something with brains? I know you'd love to say more about brains ... Cmon...but little by little you think maybe or is it for certain that according to the evidence organisms with brains evolved from organisms with no brains. Right? C'mon be honest!

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Why you can't squeeze a sponge brain? So let's be honest for a change. Sponges without brains came before substances with brains. Right? Not sponges with brains because it seems sponges are brainless.
The challenge was for you to try to reason rationally for once. If you admit that you cannot do so I will run through an explanation for you.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Why can't you just answer the question. Did sponges without brains pop up, I mean evolve, and then become something with brains? I know you'd love to say more about brains ... Cmon...but little by little you think maybe or is it for certain that according to the evidence organisms with brains evolved from organisms with no brains. Right? C'mon be honest!
You cannot demand that others be honest when you have not been honest for a long long time.

YoursTrue

So again, brains evolved after sponges. Or maybe developed simultaneously in organisms along with sponges.