• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Deeply Disturbing Article

McBell

Admiral Obvious
I have a particular problem with the author comparing God to Santa Clause and the Easter Bunny. He also calls believers child-like and simple-minded. These words are clearly meant to insult those who believe differently than him.
I find them to be rather accurate and right to the point.

Seems to me that there far to many people who try to hard to hide behind taboos.

PolyHedral

Superabacus Mystic
These things are designed to provoke. The best thing you can do is let it go in one ear and straight out the other. Dont let the ignorance of those people affect you. I view their opposition as evidence that having faith in God is worthwhile. Worshipers of God have been the target of abuse since Cain killed Abel...so take their comments as proof that you are on the right track.

Satan will not let it rest until he gets what he wants...so dont give in. :)
Is the comparison inaccurate for some reason?

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
I am new to the forum and interested in debates. Earlier today, I read an article that disturbed me.

controversialcontent.com/2612.html

I understand that people will have feelings and opinions, but I grow frustrated when people who do not have faith go out of their way to say derogatory things about those who do.

My brother claims to be an atheist and constantly makes fun of my beliefs. Have any of you encountared similar reactions to your faith?

Accept nothing and question everything.......

Vansdad

To make fun of something you can neither prove or disprove seems quite ignorant to me. Insults only show what kind of character the person has.

Dan4reason

Facts not Faith
I am new to the forum and interested in debates. Earlier today, I read an article that disturbed me.

controversialcontent.com/2612.html

I understand that people will have feelings and opinions, but I grow frustrated when people who do not have faith go out of their way to say derogatory things about those who do.

My brother claims to be an atheist and constantly makes fun of my beliefs. Have any of you encountared similar reactions to your faith?

Same here. I have myself a victim of Christians saying derogatory things about my beliefs. This issue here is that people of different beliefs should not be mocking each other because of belief or personal attacks. Even debating a person's beliefs when such debate is not welcome is also wrong. You should tell your brother that you are sick of constant argument over religion and drop the issue perminantly.

The article itself was not disturbing at all. It provided a balanced view of both sides of the issue including the secular perspective on religious belief. Posting your beliefs on a website made for debate is in no way inappropriate and hints that you are being oversensitive about arguments from other viewpoints. Instead of being offended, try to explore the secular and Christian perspectives and see who has the best arguments. Make it a fun contest.:D

It seemed to me as if the Christian in the article was the one being derogatory by saying horrible things about non-believers.

Last edited:

McBell

Admiral Obvious
To make fun of something you can neither prove or disprove seems quite ignorant to me. Insults only show what kind of character the person has.
I agree.

Interestingly enough though, the article in question was not making fun of god.

Space Cadet

Well, you were at a site called "Controversial content". Just from the name of the site, you can guess that you might find something offensive there. It's obviously geared toward robust opinion.
It's interesting you use this site as an example. Achoa goes further than I would and says some things that are a little offensive, but what about Bushwell? This guy is telling me I derserve to be tortured for eternity!
Your brother is being a jerk though, and should lay off.