• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Define God

Jiddanand

“Orthodox adherents of monotheistic traditions draw clear boundaries between themselves and God. The Jewish theologian Martin Buber could speak to God as “I and Thou,” as a relationship between creature and creator, but he could not have said. “I am Thou.” As a devout Hindu might say, “Thou art that”, collapsing boundaries that separate human from divine.” (Elaine Pagels, Revelations, Chapter three, Other Revelations: Heresy or Illumination? Pages 100-101)
God is absolutely ONE.[emoji4]

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
The nonphysical part of a person is person himself and can't be God.[emoji4]

Of course it can. God is life. Without the nonphysical part (another def said characteristics and thoughts), is that person really alive?

Spirit: "Those qualities regarded as forming the definitive or typical elements in the character of a person, nation, or group. The thought and attitudes of a particular person."

Energy: "The strength and vitality required for sustained physical or mental activity."

Spirit and energy is the spark/life of a person; that spark is god.

People just deify and make it an entity to get to know their innerself from an external perspective. God doesnt work that way. God is always internal.

Last edited:

Jiddanand

I agree that if you consider the Ultimate Greatest Objective Truth - it is beyond definition.
Yet, I believe it's better to keep searching and trying to figure it out - even if we never arrive.
If you HAD to define God - if someone was holding you at gun point ;) - what would you say about God?
God is the highest faith you can have.[emoji4]

Tumah

Veteran Member
“Orthodox adherents of monotheistic traditions draw clear boundaries between themselves and God. The Jewish theologian Martin Buber could speak to God as “I and Thou,” as a relationship between creature and creator, but he could not have said. “I am Thou.” As a devout Hindu might say, “Thou art that”, collapsing boundaries that separate human from divine.” (Elaine Pagels, Revelations, Chapter three, Other Revelations: Heresy or Illumination? Pages 100-101)
I only know about ultra-Orthodox theologians/Rabbis. I'm not familiar with secular theologians who happen to be Jewish and I never heard of Mr, Buber. But if he would have read more Talmud and less Kant, maybe he would be more inclined to say, "Only Thou" instead of "I and Thou". Personally in my studies, I have too much trouble finding the I in the first place to be able to make the statement "I am Thou" (see Emanationism). That's why I said, everything else is just perception or fantasy.

Skwim

Veteran Member
You think God is Grammar? Well! It's new concept.[emoji4]
You said god is not a thing. Things are indicated by nouns, so if god is not something indicated by a noun then just what kind of word are we talking about when using "god"? We have nouns, verbs, adjectives, adverbs, interjections, prepositions, conjunctions, and pronouns. Take your pick.

Jiddanand

You said god is not a thing. Things are indicated by nouns, so if god is not something indicated by a noun then just what kind of word are we talking about when using "god"? We have nouns, verbs, adjectives, adverbs, interjections, prepositions, conjunctions, and pronouns. Take your pick.
None.
God is the highest faith one can have.[emoji4]

Jiddanand

Errr. "faith" is a thing, a noun word. So god is, in fact, a thing. No thanks necessary for my help. :D
God as a grammatical concept is new viewpoint and I appreciate your view.
God certainly is a noun but I will have to discuss more to grasp your viewpoint.[emoji4]

Skwim

Veteran Member
God as a grammatical concept is new viewpoint and I appreciate your view.
God certainly is a noun but I will have to discuss more to grasp your viewpoint.[emoji4]
Okay, you said god is not a thing, if he isn't a thing then just what is he?

If he's an idea then he's still a thing because ideas are things. If he's faith, as you say, then he's still a thing because faith is a thing. I just don't see how you can get away from recognizing that god is a thing.

Jiddanand

Okay, you said god is not a thing, if he isn't a thing then just what is he?

If he's an idea then he's still a thing because ideas are things. If he's faith, as you say, then he's still a thing because faith is a thing. I just don't see how you can get away from recognizing that god is a thing.
God is not a thing holds correct. Because all of the worldly definitions of God seems to not holding the correct vision.
Everyone seems to have a God of own tastes. So what is God? A personal taste?

Jiddanand

The best I could come up with is "God is the highest faith you can ever have".
THE HIGHEST FAITH {PERIOD}

Skwim

Veteran Member
The best I could come up with is "God is the highest faith you can ever have".
THE HIGHEST FAITH {PERIOD}
Which brings you right back to your claim that god is not a thing, although faith, even THE HIGHEST FAITH {PERIOD}, is a thing. Perhaps you don't understand what a thing is. Here are the Oxford Dictionary definitions.

Jiddanand

Which brings you right back to your claim that god is not a thing, although faith, even THE HIGHEST FAITH {PERIOD}, is a thing. Perhaps you don't understand what a thing is. Here are the Oxford Dictionary definitions.
For me a thing is any material substance that is cognizable with the Senses of perception. Especially, what is measurable on Scales, a body.
Anything and nothing inclusive. [emoji4]

Last edited: