• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Define God

Moonjuice

In the time of chimpanzees I was a monkey
God is a man-made invention.
God is the result of humans first attempt at explaining the world before the scientific method was developed.
God is a figment of imagination.
God is a profit center.
God is a political action committee.
God is a tool used to control people.
God is a false consolation to make people feel better about dying.
God is an imaginary friend that will never be proven or disproven, just like all imaginary friends.

Most of all, God is the most divisive ideas Neolithic and Bronze Age men concocted, responsible for hundreds of millions of deaths and the subjugation of women (and races) for thousands of years.

Colt

As the title says.

Include qualities, accomplishments, responsibilities, attributes, etc. if any of these apply.
God is the first Source and Center of all things and beings. He is a creator, controller and upholder. God is a Loving Father, God is Good. God is omnipresent, omnipotent, God knows all things.

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
As the title says.

Include qualities, accomplishments, responsibilities, attributes, etc. if any of these apply.
Here's my definition.

What allows the universe to exist.
The creating part of it.
The Supreme being (Jesus Christ).
What allows people to understand/learn (Holy Ghost).
The h.g. also is a go between of God and Jesus.

All God and all one God.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
God is a man-made invention.
God is the result of humans first attempt at explaining the world before the scientific method was developed.
God is a figment of imagination.
God is a profit center.
God is a political action committee.
God is a tool used to control people.
God is a false consolation to make people feel better about dying.
God is an imaginary friend that will never be proven or disproven, just like all imaginary friends.

Most of all, God is the most divisive ideas Neolithic and Bronze Age men concocted, responsible for hundreds of millions of deaths and the subjugation of women (and races) for thousands of years.

What are you basing these characteristics on?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
God is beyond anything, we only attribute stuff to God to make ourselves happy or for other mundane reasons. But it's a good start to attribute things to God, because it means your intellect is trying to figure things out, that is the way to get to understand God better. But the final step will always be to drop whatever we learned about God, many Saints and Sages have declared.

So, I'll give it a go

For me God means Consciousness, the substratum of everything. The white screen on which the movie called "life" is projected. Everything is consciousness, only consciousness is real (as in never changing). All the forms are not real, constantly changing. So, we are not the body, and not at all our mind (changes very fast, usually). Nor are we our emotions. We are the observer, the Witness of our body, hence we say "my body", meaning I am not the body

Consciousness can create anything. Although our mind is not who we are, still by a focused mind we can create a lot of this so called Maya (illusion, ever changing non-reality). The more we create the easier we lose track of who we really are.

That sounds so complicated.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
As the title says.

The supernatural is an imagined regime, beyond or overlapping reality, where magic may be practiced.

Magic is the alteration of reality independently of the rules of reality.

Magical power has a very wide range of uses ─ to curse a person or set of persons or a project, to restore health, to protect against enemies, to read the future, to influence others (not least regarding sexual attraction), to bestow invisibility, powers of flight, powers equivalent to teleportation, more generally to make wishes come true, and so on.

Magical entities include gods, angels, demons, spirits, souls, magicians, fairies, elves, gnomes, trolls, vampires, and so on. Particular places may be magical, such as groves, caves, wishing wells, shrines and so on. Particular animals and objects may also be magical.

When magic is done by sentient beings, it can be done by wishing, by spells, by use of magical objects, by invoking the power of a particular magical being, and so on.

The distinguishing feature of a god is being in command, top dog ─ either generally or for particular tribes or specific situations, place, matters like love, war, weather, fertility, luck, particular trades, particular problems, and so on.

The supernatural may also be concerned with the idea that humans have a soul, a spirit contained in the body of a human (sometimes an animal) representing its personality memories abilities and so on and surviving after death. (Alternative views are that death is the end or that all or some will be resurrected to quasi-human lives.)

In some versions of the soul concept a god or gods or their delegates, or the supernatural postmortal system itself, judge the soul for its deeds during its earthly life and punish or reward it or send it back for another life.

Since versions of the supernatural are found in virtually all societies, it seems probable that they're an artifact of the way humans have evolved to be curious (needy for explanations) and gregarious, since one of the chief functions of religion is tribal solidarity, a tribal identity, along with a common language, customs, stories and heroes.

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
God is the greatest possible existence.

Most of all, God is the most divisive ideas Neolithic and Bronze Age men concocted
I think a perusal of literature on neurotheology would clear up some misconceptions, such as the one shown here. Our current knowledge suggests that at the basest level God/the divine/the transcendent/etc. are not ideas concocted by our ancestors that were passed down, actual Dawkinsian memes, but the result of a biological imperative mediated by neurologically real (that is we can and have recorded neurological differences in states of religious experience) transcendental experiences.

As Cicero writes "Nature herself has imprinted on the minds of all the idea of a God".

Alienistic

Anti-conformity
Some kind of sophisticated, ingenious programming designed in attempt to control and deceive, and not only the “religious?”

rational experiences

Veteran Member
God a stone planet. One of many gods from the beginning in space.

Substance removed of its origin consumed. A source gone. God as an entity is a living substance eternal lost to consuming but saved by its mother womb to own a God body.

God. The gods. O planets. Angels. Lots of varieties. A sun as God a rebelling O God still consuming it's body.

God. O the living stone. Had fake sex by human inference with space the womb. The womb conceived of cold and pressure it's gas spirit. Born of God. Immaculate.

No human at all.

The self consuming God radiation attacked our gods body and spirit burnt it. Mother womb saved her gods son life voided the sacrifice.. a story only.
Oh holy light.

The sin of the rebellion formed the heavens into the apple shaped sin.

O earth.
It's heavens surrounded by O heavens changed as movement into O DD spiralling. On both sides of planet earth the body of two separated from O one.

Apple shaped sin of the rebelling God.

God above me. Above the gases burn by suns radiation. Little dot particles are caused. Each hits the water oxygen protecting me. It makes lots and lots of G O DD circles transmitting above me.ooooooo like living in a pool.

Human stories. God above me.

God below me the ground also radiates itself by tiny dots. God below me the same.

The movement of God. All stories told by a self present human who was told you were taught not to think that way and just think as a human life and natural survival as a human.

As we are not anything else but a human.

To ponder God was to think about how to be a God when you were only a human. So you cannot be a God or from God as what you observe occurs right now.

Why two brothers as two theists attacked human life as status Phi.

So today we say the life of man exists only because of Phi as Seen upon the grass. Without its presence no man would even exist. As a human warning.

As we see the other evil sign Phi burnt into the earth stone gods origin body.

Man knows he is not Phi why he uses it in nuclear science formulas. No man is God. But without Phi by conditions still cooling no man would be alive. A warning.

Science knows Phi did not invent man as he uses it in formulas to destroy God mass.

Man knows no man is God.

To be taught. You get life sacrificed by God conditions to prove no man is God. Yet some men want to be just a God and Phi.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
God is a supernatural, intelligent, creative agency that is responsible for the creation and/or maintainance of the Universe and/or some aspect of the Universe.

I think that my definition covers a lot of bases, but I would still say it is far from definitive. I think having a singular definition of God is largely futile.