• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Demi gender

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
i dismiss bad definitions and look for logical, useful ones. If a dictionary provides a circular definition, I'd say that lends credence to my claim that the word is ill-defined.
So now you know better than the people writing the OED and Mirriam-Webster?
Dude, you are not more knowledgeable and do not know better than all these different fields of expertise than people who work and study thise fields. You act, with certainty, that you know better than the experts and know how it properly should be done. You don't. You don't even get words like strawman and strongarm right and you want to say credible dictionaries have definitions you get to reject?
My advice is knock of the hubris. You don't know better.

Viker

Your beloved eccentric Auntie Cristal
Maybe it's because I'm old, but I don;t see how any of this matters, much. Perhaps when one has been dating someone for a bit, or among their closer friends, this kind of information would be important to share. But I don't see why anyone thinks anyone else should know, or care.

"Hey, I'm a _______! And you need to respect this!"

Huh?
Uhm. I sorta have to let certain people know I'm transgender. In advance. For my own safety. Being a nearly impossible to spot trans woman can be dangerous in certain social settings. If a man approaches me, to buy me a drink (that's fine - I almost never turn down free food or drink) he should know pretty much right away. If we have a couple drinks and then I plop that info later it could be considered dishonest at best and "*probable cause" for a violent outburst at worst.

I would never say "you need to respect this!" That rightfully tells another human being NOT to give a person much respect.

* = Gay/Trans panic defense in court

PureX

Veteran Member
Uhm. I sorta have to let certain people know I'm transgender. In advance. For my own safety. Being a nearly impossible to spot trans woman can be dangerous in certain social settings. If a man approaches me, to buy me a drink (that's fine - I almost never turn down free food or drink) he should know pretty much right away. If we have a couple drinks and then I plop that info later it could be considered dishonest at best and "*probable cause" for a violent outburst at worst.
Why not just refuse drinks from strangers? Seems like a good policy in a bar, anyway.

PureX

Veteran Member
I've had free drinks.

I mean, I said 'thank you', and in some cases, a polite conversation was had, but I didn't really find that to be uncalled for...

I've bought some drinks for others, too, and I never expected anything more than a thank you.
Yes, but it's a brave new world, now. Where everyone is always right even when they're not. And alcohol doesn't tend to bring out the best in people.

JustGeorge

Out of Order
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes, but it's a brave new world, now. Where everyone is always right even when they're not. And alcohol doesn't tend to bring out the best in people.
This hasn't been my experience.

Well, the bit about alcohol, perhaps. Though I don't assume it'll bring out the worst, either.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
This hasn't been my experience.

Well, the bit about alcohol, perhaps. Though I don't assume it'll bring out the worst, either.
In some people shyness is muffled, for example. In others rage inhibition. It depends on the person as you noted.

When I was in school, it brought out partying and drunk joking "He's no fun --- he fell right over" as well as bowing down to the porcelain throne.

JustGeorge

Out of Order
Staff member
Premium Member
In some people shyness is muffled, for example. In others rage inhibition. It depends on the person as you noted.

When I was in school, it brought out partying and drunk joking "He's no fun --- he fell right over" as well as bowing down to the porcelain throne.
I drank heavily for a period in my 20s. But, it only brought out the ability to function... My anxiety was so bad back then, and meds didn't really do much good other than cause a mess of side effects. I was a completely boring drunk, though... no one would guess I'd had a drink(or three).

My therapist told me not to worry about it... I was self medicating, and I'd stop when conditions improved. Being as I did not engage in any risky behavior while drunk, it was not a concern. She was right. I lost interest as conditions improved.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
I drank heavily for a period in my 20s. But, it only brought out the ability to function... My anxiety was so bad back then, and meds didn't really do much good other than cause a mess of side effects. I was a completely boring drunk, though... no one would guess I'd had a drink(or three).

My therapist told me not to worry about it... I was self medicating, and I'd stop when conditions improved. Being as I did not engage in any risky behavior while drunk, it was not a concern. She was right. I lost interest as conditions improved.
I totally believe you and get what you're saying.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member

And now that your life is chaos central on the outside somehow you manage to maintain from all appearances.

JustGeorge

Out of Order
Staff member
Premium Member
And now that your life is chaos central on the outside somehow you manage to maintain from all appearances.
Its just booze, not miracle in a bottle/can. I used to have issues with compulsive eating as well, but something just sunk in one day that that wasn't making me happy, either, and that went away, too.

I appear crazier in person.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Its just booze, not miracle in a bottle/can. I used to have issues with compulsive eating as well, but something just sunk in one day that that wasn't making me happy, either, and that went away, too.

I appear crazier in person.
I would not be surprised. Anyone who is working off several lifetimes of past Sturm und Drang in one lifetime has the right to appear unbalanced.