• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Describe 'the american people' in several sentences.. Who are they, where are they located

amorphous_constellation

I apologize, for at this time I am overtired, as a 3rd shift blue-collar worker - so maybe this thread is kinda dumb. Anyway, I notice that our leaders like to use the term 'the american people' over and over. They will often say this term, and then describe what these people want, or tag on a specific policy that will affect these people in some way. However, we can see that this body of people does not appear to agree with everything that specific leaders say, nor does it 'seem' to unanimously have the qualities that are broadly attributed to them. But when a politician says something about the 'the american people,' they always say broad things about them, and these things actually hold

So I guess that's partly why it seems like 'the american people' seems like an enigmatic phrase. People can say a great span of things about them, because they actually will absorb those qualities, they seem as a magical people in that way. In having no specific culture, no specific mode of thinking, no central face, they become sort of A.I.-like, like a set of dials that can be tuned up and down. And maybe that's what is supposed to make america 'great.' If the people are abstract enough, they are a blackhole for any ideas the politicians throw at them. The hope is that they eventually evolve into a sort of ideogenous chimera, which emerges from this hole. If you can wait long enough for it to develop into that

Last edited:

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I apologize, for at this time I am overtired, as a 3rd shift blue-collar worker - so maybe this thread is kinda dumb. Anyway, I notice that our leaders like to use the term 'the american people' over and over. They will often say this term, and then describe what these people want, or tag on a specific policy that will affect these people in some way. However, we can see that this body of people does not appear to agree with everything that specific leaders say, nor does it 'seem' to unanimously have the qualities that are broadly attributed to them. But when a politician says something about the 'the american people,' they always say broad things about them, and these things actually hold

So I guess that's partly why it seems like 'the american people' seems like an enigmatic phrase. People can say a great span of things about them, because they actually will absorb those qualities, they seem as a magical people in that way. In having no specific culture, no specific mode of thinking, no central face, they become sort of A.I.-like, like a set of dials that can be tuned up and down. And maybe that's what it supposed to make america 'great.' If the people are abstract enough, they are a blackhole for any ideas the politicians throw at them. The hope is that they eventually evolve into sort of ideogenous chimera, which emerges from this hole
Well we were the people of the 'great experiment' and had attracted everyone from across the globe to the bane of indigenous who welcomed us at first with open arms until they got stabbed in the back as well as those who were 'volunteered' to come over on an all expense paid cruise working hard making the 'American dream' possible particularly notable in the south.

The Italians and irish finally finished setting up shop, some wars with style, fast forward to the rip roaring fifties with the ponzi scheme of social security in their pockets, and now you know the rest of the story.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member

So I guess that's partly why it seems like 'the american people' seems like an enigmatic phrase. People can say a great span of things about them, because they actually will absorb those qualities, they seem as a magical people in that way. In having no specific culture, no specific mode of thinking, no central face, they become sort of A.I.-like, like a set of dials that can be tuned up and down. And maybe that's what is supposed to make america 'great.' If the people are abstract enough, they are a blackhole for any ideas the politicians throw at them. The hope is that they eventually evolve into a sort of ideogenous chimera, which emerges from this hole. If you can wait long enough for it to develop into that

If I'm understanding you correctly, I see it in quite a different way.
'The American People', much like 'The American Dream' is a very loose concept which can be interpreted in a variety of different ways.
When used my politicians, they are effectively aspirational messages to the people. Politicians claiming to promote these things, or understand them, are really trying to appeal to a broad group of people all at the same time, and allowing the people themselves to interpret what is meant.

As soon as you get more defined on your message, you risk alienating some voters.

Unfortunately there seems very little connection between the messaging and any real positive impact on 'The American People'. Reality is much more difficult, full of missteps and compromises, etc.
But that doesn't make for a very 'inspirational' political message, I think. Although I like a dose of reality these days, personally. It's comforting.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Cowboys and Nerds :D
af1084cc7a63a5d85cc5fa30e19cda29.jpg

Rural America
1024_revenge_nerds_630x420.0.jpg

College Campus

Brickjectivity

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
It is mostly three things: immigration with 100% citizenship, liberty to choose your pursuit of happiness and left alone to be who and what you are, the right to vote and to criticize.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Well we were the people of the 'great experiment' and had attracted everyone from across the globe to the bane of indigenous who welcomed us at first with open arms until they got stabbed in the back as well as those who were 'volunteered' to come over on an all expense paid cruise working hard making the 'American dream' possible particularly notable in the south.

The Italians and irish finally finished setting up shop, some wars with style, fast forward to the rip roaring fifties with the ponzi scheme of social security in their pockets, and now you know the rest of the story.
Yeah, well, my parents came over in the early 20th century with nothing in their pockets until the door was slammed like it is today to those from South America who want to come here, work hard and make a life for themselves.

And, of course, Social Security could be continued with no issues if fixed except for those who want to destroy it and my retirement and laugh and dance as people like me slide into abject poverty and die early. It's these same people who revel in the thought of people not having the health insurance that the rest of the world enjoys, suffering and dying early because to do otherwise violates their political correctness.

And now you know what America is like these days - at war but fortunately not with guns.

amorphous_constellation

@Father Heathen I listened to the npr interview on that channel recently , I really recommend this channel to outsiders to america, to help understand the situation. I am either horrified or I guess, fascinated with trying to understand what's going on with the people on that channel. When I am horrified I have to turn it off after a few minutes, and when I am interested I am trying to think of why things are like this , and what can be done

amorphous_constellation

Well we were the people of the 'great experiment'

I like that , 'the people of the great experiment'

It is mostly three things: immigration with 100% citizenship, liberty to choose your pursuit of happiness and left alone to be who and what you are, the right to vote and to criticize.

I think your post is interesting in that it kind of describes them in terms of verbs.. I guess that is to say, their actions or beliefs, if believing is a verb . I guess I find your answer sufficiently abstract

Last edited:

amorphous_constellation

'The American People', much like 'The American Dream' is a very loose concept which can be interpreted in a variety of different ways.
When used my politicians, they are effectively aspirational messages to the people. Politicians claiming to promote these things, or understand them, are really trying to appeal to a broad group of people all at the same time, and allowing the people themselves to interpret what is meant.

Wow... when you think about that, it is pretty far-out.. The politician is a fishermen , he knows not what he will net

Although I like a dose of reality these days, personally. It's comforting.

I guess that's what I like about the other countries in the western english speaking world .. You guys actually temper things with a sense of cautious foreboding. You'll never americans really say things like that

MNoBody

I always thought they were referring to their imaginary friends, given they are all certifiable...o_O

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Ok...shall I describe American males in few words?
Ok. Smart. Incredibly Intelligent, Brave, Courageous, masculine.

Like this American guy who moved to here to marry this pretty, feminine, smart Italian girl (like moi of course).:p

Arent they cute?:heart::heart::heart::heart:

Last edited:

tytlyf

Not Religious
"The American people" is a buzzword used in politics. Similar to "children and grandchildren."

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want

To me this is a true american person

Attachments

• native_american.jpg
    native_american.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 0

Brickjectivity

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I think your post is interesting in that it kind of describes them in terms of verbs.. I guess that is to say, their actions or beliefs, if believing is a verb . I guess I find your answer sufficiently abstract
Thank you. Verbs are appropriate, because not everyone here has been an American and been treated as a full citizen. When a president addresses us with "My fellow Americans" they allude to this 100% citizenship for immigrants as well as the principles claimed in our Declaration of Independence. For some America has not been these things: full citizenship, rights, voting. The idea of America, though, is all about immigration and accepting all into a big union of different people. It is about the search for the more perfect union (and what that might imply globally). It is called an experiment out of hope it could end conflict and find ways of improving relations for people everywhere at all levels of scale: houses, towns, counties, cities, states, nations, continents. There have always been people here trying to get us to pursue the ideals under which the country is founded. There are a lot of aspects. A lot of data has been gained from this unique experimental country about abolition, immigration, employment, monopolies, economics, agriculture, crime, law, riots, protests, marriage, divorce, sex, gender...lots and lots of data. We've generated reams of it for future discourse.

amorphous_constellation

When a president addresses us with "My fellow Americans" they allude to this 100% citizenship for immigrants as well as the principles claimed in our Declaration of Independence.

That document would surely need updating though.. if you notice , it does refer to groups of people as 'savages,' which seems pretty rude

Brickjectivity

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
That document would surely need updating though.. if you notice , it does refer to groups of people as 'savages,' which seems pretty rude
I'm sure it cannot be updated, since it is a historical, not a legal document. There is no provision to update that. We could paraphrase it though. Thomas Jefferson is known for words with high ideals without following through on those ideals, so I am not surprised if he thinks nothing of slandering the natives. He seems to exist in idea space in his letters but in life not so much. He did show courage in signing the document, because he must have known this would bring trouble from the crown. He probably did think that the natives were savages, too; and that somehow he was superior though he states in the document that all men are created equal. I'm not sure what to say about it, but you really are pulling us way out into a different conversation. He's dead. We're not.