• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Devil Worship

Trey of Diamonds

I all was thought Voodoo was the religion and Hoodoo was what the "Magic(k)" was called.

That is the most common use of the terms but some say voodoo is black magic while hoodoo is white magic. I believe this was said out of ignorance rather than fact though. I'm from Louisiana and as a child, most of what we whispered about voodoo was uninformed superstition rather than knowledge. Still, it was accepted as fact by much of the community at the time. (we're talking way pre-internet here)

Kcnorwood

Friend knorwood,

Yes, similarly in Sanatan Dharma; goddess KALI is a normal everyday god dark in color and was/is prayed as the DARK force by some to make human sacrifices and all types of witchcrafts.
Love & rgds

I fnd it amussing that people tend to label things that they do not understand nor care to find out for themselves about said religion. They tend to believe what they are told & call people of other faiths liars when people try to inform them. :rolleyes:

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
People hear things from other people and the statement changes at each telling- I think that may at least one reason why there are so many misconceptions. It would be better if people researched these things but they just don't most of the time.

J-Train

Understand, I'm not talking about rebellious teens or legitimate Left Hand Path religions. I'm talking about those who believe they are worshipping the devil of the Christian religion. In fact, these people would have to be Christians themselves as a belief in the Christian devil requires a belief in God and Christ as well. I have to wonder if it's all just an urban legend or the mis-labeling of legitimate pagan religions.

In present times most devil worshipers follow what is called Luciferian Philosophy where satan and god are not entities but forces of nature.
In past times yes human sacrifice happened but it was done by cults and not any real religion.
Just research Black Mass and you can find out all you need to know.

Trey of Diamonds

In present times most devil worshipers follow what is called Luciferian Philosophy where satan and god are not entities but forces of nature.

Yes, I know, this is what I meant when I said this wasn't about Left Hand Path religions.

In past times yes human sacrifice happened but it was done by cults and not any real religion.

Not true. Plenty of real religions practiced human sacrifice over the years. Aztec, Mayan, Native American, Hebrew, Celtic, African, etc, etc.

chaffdog

Slightly off-topic, but the whole concept of devil-worshipping and the church of Satan
doesn't really work that well: The devil is a christian creation that represents evil and all bad things. Worshipping the devil is agreeing with the christian view and worshipping something that by definition of the term represents whatever you don't want. Doesn't make sense.

Trey of Diamonds

Slightly off-topic, but the whole concept of devil-worshipping and the church of Satan
doesn't really work that well: The devil is a christian creation that represents evil and all bad things. Worshipping the devil is agreeing with the christian view and worshipping something that by definition of the term represents whatever you don't want. Doesn't make sense.

Devil Worshippers are Christians. They worship the devil of the Christian religion. But Satanist these days are a bit more removed from the Abrahamic religions and are now called Left Hand Path. The details can be complex and I won't go into them here, (mostly because I don't know all the details ;)).

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
It is my considered opinion that every religion (or at least nearly every religion) probably started out as a cult, that is if you go by the true meaning of the word. Christianity, for instance, started out as a Judaic cult- the Apostles and Disciples of Jesus would be considered cult members. And as it grew it became more prevalent and became a religion.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
The quickest way to rile up the local faithful and make a group the enemy is to slap them with the label "devil worshiper".
To make them really bad say they sacrifice people.

Today it's very rare (all but non-existent in first world nations) and it's never by a broadly organized group.

It's the ultimate boogy-man.

wa:do

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
It wouldn't surprise me to learn that somewhere out there are actual devil worshippers. People can be pretty twisted. Still, like others, I think it's extremely rare.

gnomon

Why is it called human sacrifice under the guise of devil worship but not human sacrifice under the guise of the Pentecostalism that has taken hold in some parts of Africa in which children are ritually abused or killed as 'witches'.

Just because they call their entity God and fight the entity Satan. Switch the two names...what's the functional difference.

Serious question.

Trey of Diamonds

Why is it called human sacrifice under the guise of devil worship but not human sacrifice under the guise of the Pentecostalism that has taken hold in some parts of Africa in which children are ritually abused or killed as 'witches'.

Just because they call their entity God and fight the entity Satan. Switch the two names...what's the functional difference.

Serious question.

You could say both killings are due to religion but they are not both sacrifices. A sacrifice is a ritual killing in which the death is an offering to something in hopes of getting something in return. Killing witches is more along the lines of safety. The people doing the killing believe they are doing so to keep themselves and others safe from the actions of the witch.

gnomon

You could say both killings are due to religion but they are not both sacrifices. A sacrifice is a ritual killing in which the death is an offering to something in hopes of getting something in return. Killing witches is more along the lines of safety. The people doing the killing believe they are doing so to keep themselves and others safe from the actions of the witch.

You're right. I was letting my horror at what is happening in some of those communities cloud the judgment there.

This is off topic to the OP but I wonder how much of the issue of "child witches" can be traced to the fact that these are poorer communities in those areas which the government has somewhat ignored. There are some strong local efforts made by others to increase the awareness among the government of what is happening and that basic aid could help alleviate this crisis.