• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Did Jesus say he was God???

JayHawes

Hi JayH (and welcome to RF :) ). I appreciate your response but just to be clear these are the qeustions I am asking of Scott.

As for why Scott refuses to accept any authority in Paul's witness is probably because Paul speaks as if Christ is God, the Only Son of God and the Savior. Paul teaches freedom from the law through the love of Christ. The bodily resurrection and ascension of Christ would mean that there can't be another Manifestation of Christ coming back to earth in a different bdoy. These ideas conflict with Baha'i teachings. Or at least this is my best understanding of why Paul is thus rejected.

Yeah, Sorry about that, I just realized.....my bad...:) :rolleyes:

Popeyesays

Just to be clear then, you think that the Lord told Ananaias that Paul was His chosen instrument, but that information was meant only for Ananias and no one else?

added:

Do you think the Lord was telling Ananaias the truth?
Do you believe it really was the Lord speaking to Ananaias, or was he being decieved?
Do you think Acts is an 'uncorrupted' book, or do you think it was tampered with or made up?

If you think Ananaias did see the Lord and the Lord was telling the truth that Paul is His instrument, why do you think this is only meant for Ananaias?

And, if it happened, and it is the truth, why should we not then believe that Paul had the true Gospel? Why should we not take his Epistles as seriously as the Testimonies of the Gospel writers?

It was meant to convince Ananias. It did that I am sure thaqt God confirmed Paul as His instrument, but not His only instrument and certainly not Jesus' editor.

Paul wrote commentary and encouragement and guidance. He was not, however the Revealer of God's Message for the day. Paul's writings and thoughts have no guarantee of interpretive authority. He speaks through the influence and inspiration of God but Paul's words aqre not guaranteed to be correct.

The words of Jesus are guaranteed to be correct. Jesus' understanding is guaranteed to be correct. Hesus' Knowledge is guaranteed to be correct. Jesus' Revelation is guaranteed to be correct.

Paul has no guarantees or warrantees attached. One is still responsible to take the words of Jesus as Gospel, and the words of the commentators as well-intentioned and sound advice, but they ain't 'Gospel'.

I see Paul as he is, not as many would like him to be. He is not the bearer of a Revelation direct from God, nor is he an authorized interpreter b y any stretch. I do not disrespect, dismiss or reject his words and guidance, but I do view them as the words and guidance of a man like myself who actually lived in those days following the passing and ascendance of Jesus and a spirit filled with the Holy Spirit like any man might be.

Peter bears more authority. James bears more authority, though the degree of authority of either is really not clear. Itg is clear that Paul does not have that degree of authority from Jesus in any palpable degree. Ali was given a far better degree of authority to be the interpreter of Muhammad than Peter or James for Christ.

Ab du'l Baha has of course, a clear mandate, and Shoghi Effendi after him.

I don't see it proper to grant Paul as great an authority as Jesus--or, dare I say it as many seem to do, that Paul somehow has the authority to ammend and edit the words of Jesus.

Regards,
Scott

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
What these verse have to do with Jesus being eternal you'll have to inform me.

Where did I say he wasn't "eternal"??..... I said he was divine but not deity.....

Quote me if you will but quote me correctly please......:sarcastic

And with all those cool qualities, He was only "made like unto" the Son of God...who's the Son of God again? ;)

Again, where, in this thread, did I say Jesus was not the son of God? On the contrary, saying he is a son of God benefits my position that he IS NOT GOD.....

Jesus said it; argue with Him if you have an issue, not me, I'm just quoting Him.

Again, you have your interpertation as to what he meant. I don't agree with your interpertations.

now please tell me, why did Jesus intentionally use the present tense here when it would have been gramattically correct to use the past tense? Can you think of somewhere else in the Bible where that kind of apparent error in grammar took place (I'll give you a clue, look in Exodus 3...)?

(Source) Information someone wrote on a forum in 2005

Submitted by Theocrat on 9 September, 2005 - 15:27.

taking the standard line on John 8:58, that Jesus was claiming to be the God of Exodus 3:14. This assertion is based on a kind of ‘translation theology’, which isn’t borne out in the original language.

In the LXX (Greek translation of the Hebrew Bible), at Exodus 3.14, Yahweh declares "ego eimi o ohn". “I am he that exists”. The addition of ‘o ohn’ is needed to reflect the fact that it is the word ‘ehyeh’ here in the original Hebrew as opposed to ‘ani hu’. In John 8:58 Jesus only says "ego eimi" (I am he). On this basis it isn’t really fair to the text to force an unambiguous reference to Exodus 3:14.

Instead anyone could say ‘I am’ or ‘I am he’ without any allusion to a claim of divinity. Current Reebok adverts quote stars saying “I am what I am”. Another more Biblical example of this is found in John 9:9 where the man born blind says ‘ego eimi’. I am he. None of these individuals are claiming to be the Exodus God.
So ‘ego eimi’ is neither God’s name nor an exclusively divine title.

But all this begs the question you originally raised: ‘If Jesus isn’t claiming to be God, what was he understood to have said that caused such offence?’ The answer lies in the dialogue leading up to his statement. In the verses immediately preceding John 8:45 we see is that this isn’t the first time Jesus has said ‘ego eimi’ in this exchange. He has already said it in v.24.

(This calls into further question the widely asserted notion that the words ‘ego eimi’ were understood by Jesus’ hearers to be a claim of ‘divinity’. Instead of seizing upon this as the long awaited and much sought after grounds to accuse him, they respond by asking ‘who are you?’ (v.25). Obviously Jesus has not identified himself sufficiently by this statement for them to know what the ‘he’ referred to is.)

Reading on from v.25, the discourse moves to Abraham. "How can you claim to offer the life of the age to come?" they ask Jesus, "even Abraham himself is dead, surely you’re not claiming to be greater than him!" (v.51-53)
Next, they misunderstand Jesus’ statement in v.56 (Abraham rejoiced to see my day) by reading too much into it, because in v.57 they accuse Jesus of claiming to have seen Abraham! He never said that. Neither did he say that Abraham had seen him. Only that Abraham had rejoiced to see his day.

Abraham, having believed the gospel preached to him by God (Gal 3.8) rejoiced in hope, looking forward to the ‘day of Christ’ in the same way we do.
It is in response to this misunderstanding that Jesus makes his statement "Before Abraham was, I am he". Notice however that he did not say "I was before Abraham" or "before Abraham was, I was".

The present tense ‘I am’ in reference to the past (before Abraham was) simply does not work as a stand-alone sentence. It only makes sense if Jesus is referring back to some statement he has made previously about his present status with respect to the patriarch. I would suggest that Jesus is expanding on his statement in verse 56 by explaining how, in spite of his not being 50 years old, Abraham could still have rejoiced to see his day.

Bringing the two together what we get is: "Before Abraham was, I am he… whose day Abraham rejoiced to see".
This is a clear identification by Jesus of himself as the seed promised to Abraham by Yahweh and through whom all the families of the earth would be blessed.
Abraham’s greatness was based on his belief in the promise God made to him about his seed and the fact that, in so doing, he became the means through which God would bring his word to pass.

Jesus is greater than Abraham because he is the embodiment of God’s end purpose and the subject of the promise which Abraham rejoiced in. This is the staggering claim which so offended the Jews that they attempted to stone him.

You may not agree but this is how I see it as well. I pasted it because he said it the way I wanted to say it, but I wanted give credit where it is due because I didn't write it.

LOL...So what? Putting "he" at the end of John 8:58 wouldn't change the obvious and intentional grammatical oddity there, nor would it change the meaning.

You may be right. It's perfectly fine to render the verses the way you want them to be rendered, whether you're adding or subtracting words. We should all be able to make the scriptures say what we want them to.

Arguing on the basis of words that aren't there in the original text isn't gonna get you very far here, my friend.

And arguing that Jesus is God or a deity won't get you anywhere with me. Jesus was the one who showed us he wasn't God. Got issues with that? take it up with him. He was the one that said God sent him, he was the one that said he was here to do the will of God, He was the one that said God commanded him of the words he should speak.....

Popeyesays

For some reason you doubt his writings, is it because his teachings go against one of your beliefs? So to keep yours you deny his? Paul taught the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Paul along with Peter, and Bartholomew, and John, and Thomas, and all the others preached the Gospel of Jesus. But they, being Jews didn't preach widely to the Gentiles (non-jews). Paul however being more educated than Jesus' first Apotles taught scripture quite well, and went unto the gentiles, which was and is the majority of mankind. He was the main Apostle for the gentile world, and therefore he wrote most of the letters we have today, why did he write letters? Becuase he was always traveling or in prison forpreaching God's Gospel. And, why shouldn't you take his writings seriously?he was an Apostle just as was John, and Mathhew, and Peter, and James.
!) I do not accept thaqt Paul has the authority to infallibly interpret the teachings of Christ. Jesus did not expressly give that authority to anyone, if He did give any authority it was to Simon Peter and James. Therefore Paul is capable of misunderstanding and error.

2) Neither Simon Peter nor James were very comfortable with Paul being the voice of Christ to the Gentiles. In fact James may well have turned Paul into the Romans to get rid of his influence--that was not a Christly act, but it sure shows that James did not find Paul inerrant.

3) Paul's letters are bbrilliant. But they are not the directr word of God. Jesus was the direct word of God.

Paul's writings do not go against any of my beliefs or the teachings of my faith. That does not mean they possess any authority.

Regardes,
Scott
4) Paul never claimed a revelation why give him one?

lunamoth

Will to love
I don't see it proper to grant Paul as great an authority as Jesus--or, dare I say it as many seem to do, that Paul somehow has the authority to ammend and edit the words of Jesus.

Regards,
Scott

If God told even one person that Paul is His instrument for spreading the Gospel why should we doubt his authority?

Also, where do you see Paul editing the words of Jesus?

JayHawes

!) I do not accept thaqt Paul has the authority to infallibly interpret the teachings of Christ. Jesus did not expressly give that authority to anyone, if He did give any authority it was to Simon Peter and James. Therefore Paul is capable of misunderstanding and error.

2) Neither Simon Peter nor James were very comfortable with Paul being the voice of Christ to the Gentiles. In fact James may well have turned Paul into the Romans to get rid of his influence--that was not a Christly act, but it sure shows that James did not find Paul inerrant.

3) Paul's letters are bbrilliant. But they are not the directr word of God. Jesus was the direct word of God.

Paul's writings do not go against any of my beliefs or the teachings of my faith. That does not mean they possess any authority.

Regardes,
Scott
4) Paul never claimed a revelation why give him one?
Paul claims a revelation in 2 Corinthian 12:

2co 12:1 -It is not expedient for me doubtless to glory. I will come to visions and revelations of the Lord.

2co 12:2 -I knew a man in Christ above fourteen years ago, (whether in the body, I cannot tell; or whether out of the body, I cannot tell: God knoweth such an one caught up to the third heaven.

2co 12:3 -And I knew such a man, (whether in the body, or out of the body, I cannot tell: God knoweth

2co 12:4How that he was caught up into paradise, and heard unspeakable words, which it is not lawful for a man to utter.

2co 12:5Of such an one will I glory: yet of myself I will not glory, but in mine infirmities.

2co 12:6For though I would desire to glory, I shall not be a fool; for I will say the truth: but now I forbear, lest any man should think of me above that which he seeth me to be, or that he heareth of me.

2co 12:7And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure.2co 12:8For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me.

2co 12:9And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

2co 12:10Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.

2co 12:11I am become a fool in glorying; ye have compelled me: for I ought to have been commended of you: for in nothing am I behind the very chiefest apostles, though I be nothing.

Paul is no less authoritive than the other Apostles

1co 9:1Am I not an apostle? am I not free? have I not seen Jesus Christ our Lord? are not ye my work in the Lord?

1co 9:2If I be not an apostle unto others, yet doubtless I am to you: for the seal of mine apostleship are ye in the Lord.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
One thing I have learned by reading this thread is that people can read the same thing and get something completely different from it. The problem is not knowing whose interpretation is correct.

About Paul. While it is true that Paul never actually met Jesus before His death, neither has anyone alive today. I always compare Paul to Billy Graham. Both of them are preachers who go far and wide to preach the gospel (Mr. Graham went a lot further since he had cars and planes ;) ). What Paul wrote may have been or may not have been totally inspired by God, but it does not mean it is totally wrong either. Most of what he writes is the same as in the Gospels, while there are few things he talks about that Jesus never said (at least not in the Gospels), such as long hair on men, short hair on women, women being silent in Church and such. I am not ready to totally dismiss Paul's writings, since I believe he was truly saved and a very good preacher and teacher.

Popeyesays

Paul claims a revelation in 2 Corinthian 12:

2co 12:1 -It is not expedient for me doubtless to glory. I will come to visions and revelations of the Lord.

2co 12:2 -I knew a man in Christ above fourteen years ago, (whether in the body, I cannot tell; or whether out of the body, I cannot tell: God knoweth such an one caught up to the third heaven.

2co 12:3 -And I knew such a man, (whether in the body, or out of the body, I cannot tell: God knoweth

2co 12:4How that he was caught up into paradise, and heard unspeakable words, which it is not lawful for a man to utter.

2co 12:5Of such an one will I glory: yet of myself I will not glory, but in mine infirmities.

2co 12:6For though I would desire to glory, I shall not be a fool; for I will say the truth: but now I forbear, lest any man should think of me above that which he seeth me to be, or that he heareth of me.

2co 12:7And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure.2co 12:8For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me.

2co 12:9And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

2co 12:10Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.

2co 12:11I am become a fool in glorying; ye have compelled me: for I ought to have been commended of you: for in nothing am I behind the very chiefest apostles, though I be nothing.

Paul is no less authoritive than the other Apostles

1co 9:1Am I not an apostle? am I not free? have I not seen Jesus Christ our Lord? are not ye my work in the Lord?

1co 9:2If I be not an apostle unto others, yet doubtless I am to you: for the seal of mine apostleship are ye in the Lord.

As best I read it Paul is NOT laying claim to a revelation. Good. Just what I said.
NONE of athe Apostles lay claim to a Revelation from God. So your statement and my statement are actually the same.

Regards,
Scott

Popeyesays

If God told even one person that Paul is His instrument for spreading the Gospel why should we doubt his authority?

Also, where do you see Paul editing the words of Jesus?

Does Paul say that Jesus is God? If he does say that, then he is editing the words of Jesus which deny that Jesus was God.

Every Christian, everywhere and everywhen is the instrument of spreading the Gospel. None of them (including Paul) can lay claim to authoritative interpretation.
Regards,
Scott

Where did I say he wasn't "eternal"??..... I said he was divine but not deity.....
Sorry, I should have specified that I meant eternal in the sense of being uncreated.

Again, where, in this thread, did I say Jesus was not the son of God? On the contrary, saying he is a son of God benefits my position that he IS NOT GOD.....
He is the Son of God because He was Incarnated into a physical body, not because He wasn't God prior to the Incarnation. Being the Son of God is not mutually exclusive to being God, if understood correctly.

Again, you have your interpertation as to what he meant. I don't agree with your interpertations.

But you failed to answer my question that I asked you earlier: Why should we accept your interpretations? On what basis, other than your own personal opinion, do you reject my interpretations? Are you an infallible interpreter of Scripture?

Submitted by Theocrat on 9 September, 2005 - 15:27.

taking the standard line on John 8:58, that Jesus was claiming to be the God of Exodus 3:14. This assertion is based on a kind of ‘translation theology’, which isn’t borne out in the original language...
Since you're cutting and pasting, I guess I can do the same for you. Here's an awesome rebuttal by a Catholic apologist, Dave Armstrong, to a Jehovah's Witness who was attempting to critique his paper, "Jesus is God: Biblical Proofs." The section on John 8:58 is a bit too long and contains to many quotations to paste it all here, but it's verse #11 in the discussion (the first verse discussed in Part 2). It covers all the main points that the individual you cited brings up, as far as I can see, including use of the Greek versus the LXX of Exodus 3:14, the blind man's use of the phrase "I am (he)" in John 9, etc.

You may be right. It's perfectly fine to render the verses the way you want them to be rendered, whether you're adding or subtracting words. We should all be able to make the scriptures say what we want them to.
That's not what I said at all; in fact it seemed to be what you were saying. You seemed to be indicating that since John 9 uses the phrase "I am" and then inserts a "he" afterwards that isn't directly in the Greek, that would also be appropriate for John 8:58; but even if we were to do so, it doesn't change the overall meaning of the verse. Jesus is still intentionally using the present when it would be normative to use the past there; the blind man in John 9 uses the present tense in it's normal grammatical context, so comparing them doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

And arguing that Jesus is God or a deity won't get you anywhere with me. Jesus was the one who showed us he wasn't God. Got issues with that? take it up with him.
Jesus said we are to honor Him just as we honor God the Father; I worship God the Father, and therefore I worship Jesus; you don't. It is you who apparently has difficulty obeying Him.

He was the one that said God sent him
Yes, God the FATHER

he was the one that said he was here to do the will of God
Yes, God the FATHER

He was the one that said God commanded him of the words he should speak
Yes, God the FATHER. None of those negates that Jesus is God the Son.

Let me ask you a question: Do you consider yourself a Christian? Do you accept the authority/infallibility of the Bible, including the things beyond Jesus' direct quotations?

lew0049

CWebb
Popeyesats- by stating that Paul cannnot lay authoritative interpretation proclaims that you can - by denouncing his... and I would trust the interpretation of a man that starting his writings within tens years after the death of Jesus over others...

Popeyesays

Popeyesats- by stating that Paul cannnot lay authoritative interpretation proclaims that you can - by denouncing his... and I would trust the interpretation of a man that starting his writings within tens years after the death of Jesus over others...

Lew, that's your invention, not what I said at all. If you've run out of argument, that's fine, but that's way off and a strawman as well.

Regards,

Scott

SonOfNun

Nobody living, that's for sure.
t's an individual's responsibility to face the fact that you are responsible for your own interpretations and can't rely on anyone to interpret for you.
Regards,
Scott

Matt 16:18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell will not prevail against it.

Matt 28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost.

They were wittinesses to the Words of Christ. They carried Gods message, not their own.

Besides I thought this was about weather Jesus was God in flesh or not? :confused:

Popeyesays

Matt 16:18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell will not prevail against it.

Matt 28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost.

They were wittinesses to the Words of Christ. They carried Gods message, not their own.

Besides I thought this was about weather Jesus was God in flesh or not? :confused:

Well, we're dead on topic because Paus says YES, and Jesus says NO. Does Paul have the authority to say yes, over Jesus words?

I have seen really good arguments that Jesus' statement to Simon Peter in particular says that the rock on which the 'Church' is founded is the shifting sands of a human's faith. After all when Peter was faced with answering a question of faith in Jesus, he denied that faith THREE times. Those are shifting sands, and it's nicely symbolic of the nature of man's ability to be steadfast.

I agree whole-heartedly that they had the responsibility to carry the message of Jesus to the world, but first they had to embrace that message out of their own rational thought and spiritual capacity. That was a personal responsikbility before God.

They do not have the authority to stand between individual humans and Jesus. Their decision of logic and faith was one they had to face individually and you and I face the same responsibility and we cannot abrogate that responsibility to another--not even if that other was Peter or Paul.

Get the point? It's my responsibility and I cannot say, "Paul says so, so I will follow Paul."\\Jesus said, "Take up your cross and follow me." He did not say that JUST to Peter or Paul, he said it to you and me and every other human soul.

You have to pony up on your own. Paul can't do it for you.

Regards,
Scott

JayHawes

One thing I have learned by reading this thread is that people can read the same thing and get something completely different from it. The problem is not knowing whose interpretation is correct.

About Paul. While it is true that Paul never actually met Jesus before His death, neither has anyone alive today. I always compare Paul to Billy Graham. Both of them are preachers who go far and wide to preach the gospel (Mr. Graham went a lot further since he had cars and planes ;) ). What Paul wrote may have been or may not have been totally inspired by God, but it does not mean it is totally wrong either. Most of what he writes is the same as in the Gospels, while there are few things he talks about that Jesus never said (at least not in the Gospels), such as long hair on men, short hair on women, women being silent in Church and such. I am not ready to totally dismiss Paul's writings, since I believe he was truly saved and a very good preacher and teacher.

Jesus' Ministry was in a rather VERY VERY small region. He didn't travel futher than 200 miles from his home, and therefore his preaching was limited to that of the Jewish people. Certain problems faced these people, to which Jesus had to give parables and teach lessons. Paul however is decsrbied as the Apostle to the Gentiles (Acts 28:24-28, Romans 11:13, 1 Timothy 2:7, 2 Timothy 1:11). And therefore he would meet new problems, some being; Meat sacrificed to idols, homosexuality, having more than one wife, marrying someone of a different faith, the saintity of marriage, whether or not men should have long hair, or whether women should have short hair--mainly becuase in pagan times hair length was important in pagan worship). So it was not as if Paul was just making up stuff. He came across problems that Jesus didn't get to adress, God however made sure Paul had the knowledge and capability to deal with those problems...

JayHawes

Originally Posted by Popeyesays
Every Christian, everywhere and everywhen is the instrument of spreading the Gospel. None of them (including Paul) can lay claim to authoritative interpretation.
Regards,
Scott

What then gives anyone the authoritive power to have their writings declared totally true. Is it just your prophet? or do you include everyone?- atleast to a certain extent.

JayHawes

Well, we're dead on topic because Paus says YES, and Jesus says NO. Does Paul have the authority to say yes, over Jesus words?

I have seen really good arguments that Jesus' statement to Simon Peter in particular says that the rock on which the 'Church' is founded is the shifting sands of a human's faith. After all when Peter was faced with answering a question of faith in Jesus, he denied that faith THREE times. Those are shifting sands, and it's nicely symbolic of the nature of man's ability to be steadfast.

I agree whole-heartedly that they had the responsibility to carry the message of Jesus to the world, but first they had to embrace that message out of their own rational thought and spiritual capacity. That was a personal responsikbility before God.

They do not have the authority to stand between individual humans and Jesus. Their decision of logic and faith was one they had to face individually and you and I face the same responsibility and we cannot abrogate that responsibility to another--not even if that other was Peter or Paul.

Get the point? It's my responsibility and I cannot say, "Paul says so, so I will follow Paul."\\Jesus said, "Take up your cross and follow me." He did not say that JUST to Peter or Paul, he said it to you and me and every other human soul.

You have to pony up on your own. Paul can't do it for you.

Regards,
Scott

You almost sounded like a Christian....nice logic, it makes since. But your first sentence, in which you say Jesus said NO, and Paul said YES. Is rather wrong. Jesus never said that he was not God, actually he never adressed the question directly, just as he did all his other questions. INstead he hinted saying, I and the Father are One, and later saying God is One. Paul however is not left alone at saying Jesus is God, but John also, and even Luke in Acts. I will not bother however to quote all those scriptures it would take too long.... however do read this:

Jesus is called Emmanuel, which means "God with us," that should be proof enough, however people still find ways to dismiss anything said...

Popeyesays

Originally Posted by Popeyesays
Regards,
Scott

What then gives anyone the authoritive power to have their writings declared totally true. Is it just your prophet? or do you include everyone?- atleast to a certain extent.

You and I have no claim to a revelation from God, do we? So let's set everyone aside from Those Who do lay such a claim.

Every word Jesus actually spoke is TRUE. Now having said that, every word Paul said may be true or it might be wrong.

It would help to specify what TRUTH is and is not.

Jesus was in a state of communion with God where the knowledge of Jesus was indeed the Knowledge of God. His Knowledge and the Truth of that knowledge were absolute.

Now did Jesus speak on His own, or did He speak as God bade Him to speak? I think there is no doubt that Jesus told man what God allowed Him to tell mankind.

The truth He revealed was thus not Absolute, it was relative to what manklind was capable of hearing. Jesus said that Himself when He said, "I have many thjings to tell you, but you cannot bear them now . . ."

If Jesus was only telling us what God bade Him tell, that means the truth Jesus spokie is relative truth, relative to our capacity.

What Jesus SAID is authoritative. He granted no such authority to anyone else, so no one else has the authority to tell anybody what is proper interpretation and what is not. Therefore, you and I and everyone has a responsibility to interpret for ourselves to the very best of our ability. That responsibility is known as free will.

I cannot let Paul do that for me, and by my understanding for anyone to grant Paul the right to interpret for him is abrogating the responsibilities to God.

You can interpret for yourself, but if you abrogate that duty, is it proper to do so.

Please understand I am using the word "you" in general, not specific to Lewhayes

Because if you were to think I was talking to you in particular, and decided to let my decision stand for LewHayes, you would still be abrogating the responsibility to me.

One's own soul and mind were given by God, one should step up and make that gift count.

My own Prophets? Actually, Jesus is One of my own Prophets, as is Muhammad, Moses, Zoroaster, Abraham, Krshna, Buddha, the Bab and Baha`u'llah.

Paul was acting as a priest in effect, the Priesthood is abolished by Baha`u'llah, nor did He establish any priesthood for the followers of His Own teachings.

Regards,
Scott