• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Did Jesus say he was God???

waitasec

Veteran Member
Saying it does not make it so. The text does not state that people are one with God. Read it and weep as they say in crd games when the person has a winning hand.

you are right it doesn't but it implies that the may be
all of them may be one, Father, just

Last edited:

waitasec

Veteran Member
It is not self fulfilling.

1. v6 But I am a worm, and no man; A reproach of men, and despised of the people.

God doesn't force people to despise Jesus or repraoch Him. The reaction to Jesus should have been one of joy such as the shepherds who witnessed the angels announcement of His birth exhibited.

2 v8 Commit thyself unto Jehovah; Let him deliver him: Let him rescue him, seeing he delighteth in him.

This is exactly what the Pharisees said but God didn't make them say it.

3. vs14 I am poured out like water, And all my bones are out of joint: My heart is like wax; It is melted within me.
15 My strength is dried up like a potsherd; And my tongue cleaveth to my jaws; And thou hast brought me into the dust of death.

Jesus didn't force the Romans to not give Him water or to nail Him to the cross.

4. v18 They part my garments among them, And upon my vesture do they cast lots.

Jesus did not require the soldiers to cast lots for His garments

Quite obviously an assignation of doubt does not fit and a reference to prophecy being fulfilled does fit. THere is no way to prove that the statement is a statement of doubt.

nice back flip...

why have you forsaken me?
is a question right?
when one questions they don't know the answer because they either
1 thought they knew
2 they just don't know

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
He knows better because anyone with Hebrew text knows that it says AHYH not JHVH.

Not only did I list the verse and the translation I gave you all the link to the online Torah where I got it. It's not my translation and it if directly from the Jews. It's not from Christians translating Jewish scriptures. This is the most direct one can get. It is from those who read these scriptures in temple everyday. While Exodus 3:14 is a good one it is obvious that "God" told Moses what his name was and what he should tell the people in 3:15.

(Exodus 3:14)
http://bible.ort.org/books/torahd5.asp?action=displaypage&book=2&chapter=3&verse=14&portion=13

Vayomer Elohim el-Moshe eheyeh asher eheyeh vayomer koh tomar livney Yisra'el eheyeh shlachani aleychem.

'I Will Be Who I Will Be,' replied God to Moses. [God then] explained, 'This is what you must say to the Israelites: 'I Will Be sent me to you.' '

Exodus 3:15
http://bible.ort.org/books/torahd5.asp?action=displaypage&book=2&chapter=3&verse=15&portion=13

Vayomer od Elohim el-Moshe koh tomar el-beney Yisra'el Adonay Elohey avoteychem Elohey Avraham Elohey Yitschak ve'Elohey Ya'akov shlachani aleychem zeh-shemi le'olam vezeh zichri ledor dor.

God then said to Moses, 'You must [then] say to the Israelites, 'YHVH, the God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, sent me to you.' This is My eternal name, and this is how I am to be recalled for all generations.

This is how the Jews render their scripture. Don't confuse the Septuagaint rendering with how the Jews understand their own scripture. As you can plainly see.....They render 3:14 as (I will be). Even in the Septuagint this is consistent throughout the OT...UNTIL you get to 3:14 where THEY conveniently render it as "I AM".....This is theological bias on their part and it's deceptive, dishonest and inconsistent translating.

The "I am" expressed by Yeshua in the Greek NT has absolutely nothing to do with the Hebrew OT rendering regardless of what some apologists would have you to believe. The context of John 8 has nothing to do with Exodus.

Last edited:
I have been asked to produce evidence of the divinity of Jesus. This is not just good evidence, it is overwhelming evidence.

Words of Jesus

John 14:9 ... he that hath seen me hath seen the Father
John 14:10 ... the words that I say unto you , I speak not from myself but from the Father abiding in Me doeth His works
John 14:11 ... I am in the Father and the Father in Me
John 10:30 I and My Father are one
John 10:33 ... thou being a man makest Thyself God
John 8:58 Jesus said ... before Abraham was born, Jah (Jah is the short form of Jeshovah)
John 8:59 They took up stones therefore to cast at Him
Mark 2:5 and Jesus seeing their faith saith ... thy sins are forgiven
Mark 2:7 ... who can forgive sins but one, even God
Mark 10:17 ... good teacher Mark 10:18 Why callest Me good? None is good save one, even God John 10:11 I am the good shepherd
Mat. 1:21 ... call his name Jesus; for it is He that shall save his people from their sins
Prophecies of the Messiah Jesus
Isa. 45:21 ... I, Jehovah? and there is no God else besides Me a just God and savior, there is none besides Me
Isa. 7:14 ... a sign: behold a virgin shall conceive and bear a son, and shall call His name Immanuel (God with us)
Isa 9:6 a son is given, and the government shall be upon His shoulder, and His name shall be called: Wonderful, Counsellor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace

Attributes of God
Omnipresence
John 1:46 Nathaniel saith unto Him, Whence knowest thou me? Jesus answered and said unto him Before Philip called thee, when thou wast under the fig tree, I saw thee.
John 1:49 Nathaniel answered him, Rabbi thou art the Son of God; thou art King of Israel.
John 1:50 Jesus answered ... thou shalt see greater things than these
Omniscience
Luke 6:8 ...the Pharisees watched Him ... that they might find how to accuse him but He knew their thoughts
John 4:17 ... Thou sayest well, I have no husband
John 4:18 for thou hast had five husbands and he whom thou now hast is not thy husband
Omnipotence
Mark 4:41 ... Who then is this, that even the wind and the sea obey Him?

(He turned water into wine, multiplied bread, healed the sick and the blind, raised a man who was dead for four days)
Authority
Luke 4:36 ... for with authority and power He commandeth the unclean spirits and they come out
Mat 7:29 for He taught them as one having authority
Mat 28:18 ... Jesus ...spake... saying, all authority hath been given unto Me in heaven and on earth
The "I am" statements of Jesus
John 8:12 ... I am the light of the world
John 14:6 ... I am the way, the truth and the life
John 6:35 ... I am the bread of life
John 10:9 I am the door, by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved
John 11:25 ... I am the resurrection and the life
John 15:1 I am the true vine (this is a reference to Jesus being the Paraclete)

The only way to prove the bible is by referencing the bible. If a loving caring god dropped off the only keys to the kingdom with a mob of ignorant stone age pilgrims who believed in witchcraft and thought the earth was flat he has an unbelievable sense of humor.

Shermana

Heretic
The only way to prove the bible is by referencing the bible. If a loving caring god dropped off the only keys to the kingdom with a mob of ignorant stone age pilgrims who believed in witchcraft and thought the earth was flat he has an unbelievable sense of humor.

If you don't believe witchcraft is real, go do something to severely anger someone into it and see what happens.

Blackheart

I have been asked to produce evidence of the divinity of Jesus. This is not just good evidence, it is overwhelming evidence.

Words of Jesus

John 14:9 ... he that hath seen me hath seen the Father
John 14:10 ... the words that I say unto you , I speak not from myself but from the Father abiding in Me doeth His works
John 14:11 ... I am in the Father and the Father in Me
John 10:30 I and My Father are one
John 10:33 ... thou being a man makest Thyself God
John 8:58 Jesus said ... before Abraham was born, Jah (Jah is the short form of Jeshovah)
John 8:59 They took up stones therefore to cast at Him
Mark 2:5 and Jesus seeing their faith saith ... thy sins are forgiven
Mark 2:7 ... who can forgive sins but one, even God
Mark 10:17 ... good teacher Mark 10:18 Why callest Me good? None is good save one, even God John 10:11 I am the good shepherd
Mat. 1:21 ... call his name Jesus; for it is He that shall save his people from their sins
Prophecies of the Messiah Jesus
Isa. 45:21 ... I, Jehovah? and there is no God else besides Me a just God and savior, there is none besides Me
Isa. 7:14 ... a sign: behold a virgin shall conceive and bear a son, and shall call His name Immanuel (God with us)
Isa 9:6 a son is given, and the government shall be upon His shoulder, and His name shall be called: Wonderful, Counsellor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace

Attributes of God
Omnipresence
John 1:46 Nathaniel saith unto Him, Whence knowest thou me? Jesus answered and said unto him Before Philip called thee, when thou wast under the fig tree, I saw thee.
John 1:49 Nathaniel answered him, Rabbi thou art the Son of God; thou art King of Israel.
John 1:50 Jesus answered ... thou shalt see greater things than these
Omniscience
Luke 6:8 ...the Pharisees watched Him ... that they might find how to accuse him but He knew their thoughts
John 4:17 ... Thou sayest well, I have no husband
John 4:18 for thou hast had five husbands and he whom thou now hast is not thy husband
Omnipotence
Mark 4:41 ... Who then is this, that even the wind and the sea obey Him?

(He turned water into wine, multiplied bread, healed the sick and the blind, raised a man who was dead for four days)
Authority
Luke 4:36 ... for with authority and power He commandeth the unclean spirits and they come out
Mat 7:29 for He taught them as one having authority
Mat 28:18 ... Jesus ...spake... saying, all authority hath been given unto Me in heaven and on earth
The "I am" statements of Jesus
John 8:12 ... I am the light of the world
John 14:6 ... I am the way, the truth and the life
John 6:35 ... I am the bread of life
John 10:9 I am the door, by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved
John 11:25 ... I am the resurrection and the life
John 15:1 I am the true vine (this is a reference to Jesus being the Paraclete)

I dont mean to be difficult but which one of those scriptures is Jesus saying that he is God? I can see him saying that he is the true messenger but I cant see him claiming to be God anywhere in this.

I think we should stick to what Jesus actually said rather than what we want him to have said.

Shermana

Heretic
I dont mean to be difficult but which one of those scriptures is Jesus saying that he is God? I can see him saying that he is the true messenger but I cant see him claiming to be God anywhere in this.

I think we should stick to what Jesus actually said rather than what we want him to have said.

The only one they actually have a somewhat debatable claim of Jesus saying he's G-d is in John 8:58, the gramatically incorrect "I am" statement, but as me and DP have shown, the word in Exodus 3:14 is actually "I shall be".

outhouse

Atheistically
The only one they actually have a somewhat debatable claim of Jesus saying he's G-d is in John 8:58, the gramatically incorrect "I am" statement, but as me and DP have shown, the word in Exodus 3:14 is actually "I shall be".

And none of thi smatters at all because yeshua spoke aramaic and translations are a science all in there own, and no scripture has ever been found written in aramaic.

the fact the multiple authors of J never knew or met yeshua there is ZERO historicity in the statements in question.

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
And none of thi smatters at all because yeshua spoke aramaic and translations are a science all in there own, and no scripture has ever been found written in aramaic.

the fact the multiple authors of J never knew or met yeshua there is ZERO historicity in the statements in question.

I agree with one side note to add to this. If we look at the NT in Aramaic you will find that non-biased scholars agree that linguistically and lexicographically that John 8:58 can be rendered as (I have been, I was)....whereas Exodus 3:14, according to scholars and grammarians as well as the Jews who read their scripture daily, render 3:14 as (I will be). These two statements have nothing to do with each other. Most of us here realize this but as we can see we have a few trinitarians holding on to such notions and basing their presupposition on the Septuagint translations.

outhouse

Atheistically
I agree with one side note to add to this. If we look at the NT in Aramaic you will find that non-biased scholars agree that linguistically and lexicographically that John 8:58 can be rendered as (I have been, I was)....whereas Exodus 3:14, according to scholars and grammarians as well as the Jews who read their scripture daily, render 3:14 as (I will be). These two statements have nothing to do with each other. Most of us here realize this but as we can see we have a few trinitarians holding on to such notions and basing their presupposition on the Septuagint translations.

definately, theres no way you can attribute the phrase the same as 500-800 years previous unless it plays out the same.

Because of the two different camps involved this would make a good one hour tv show as they went through on how exactly historical Yeshua loooked at himself.

javajo

Y'all still haven't figured out that Jesus is God yet? :facepalm:

I believe the Bible says Jesus is called Immanuel which means, "God with us". He is God Incarnate, that is, God in the flesh who came here to die for me and you. Why did he have to do that? Because we sinned, the penalty for sin is death, so he died thus paying the penalty for us. All who trust him for that are freely saved. If one rejects him, does not repent, that is change their mind about how they think they can save themselves by dead works, works of the law, rituals, ceremonies, baptisms and other sacraments, attending church, giving, etc or anything else they do to earn salvation and repent of their own self-righteous works and simply trust Christ for the free gift of salvation then they have eternal life. They have the eternal and they have the life.

When God made a blood covenant with Abraham, Abe fell asleep and God walked between the sacrifices alone so when Abe and us fell short, as it was a blood covenant and God walked alone, he was the guilty party and had to die. He died for us, in our place so we may live eternally with him forevermore and be freely adopted into his family with all its inheritance for free, if we simply trust Jesus, who is God, that he came to fulfill the Law, and he did indeed by his death on the cross for you and me. That is what I believe and I believe it is the Gospel Truth!

horizon_mj1

No offense to anyone reading this, but this one especially goes to the one using:facepalm: so much:facepalm:? Really!? "Will be and Are" do not have the same definition as far as I know:sorry1: Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

javajo

I've only "figured out" what's backed up by the Hebrew Bible and the sayings of Jesus himself! If he was God, he would've said it plain and simple and this thread wouldn't exist!
Eh, he's God, its already been proven. People just won't admit it. Its all about elevating themselves and lowering Christ who gets all the glory for the salvation of any and all who will trust him. Only an infinitely holy God could suffer a finite amount of time for the infinitely offensive sins of us finite creatures.

No offense to anyone reading this, but this one especially goes to the one using:facepalm: so much:facepalm:? Really!? "Will be and Are" do not have the same definition as far as I know:sorry1: Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong.
I believe that is the very first time I have ever used it. Perhaps I should have used :sarcastic.

Bob Dixon

>implying
Eh, he's God, its already been proven. People just won't admit it. Its all about elevating themselves and lowering Christ who gets all the glory for the salvation of any and all who will trust him. Only an infinitely holy God could suffer a finite amount of time for the infinitely offensive sins of us finite creatures.

It's been proven, eh?
Well, why don't you submit some of these proofs for peer-review here, whilst I brandish quotes such as ""my Father is greater than I" "and don't call me good; only God is good", both from the Jee-man himself.

javajo

It's been proven, eh?
Well, why don't you submit some of these proofs for peer-review here, whilst I brandish quotes such as ""my Father is greater than I" "and don't call me good; only God is good", both from the Jee-man himself.
Yes, at least to my satisfaction :sarcastic. If you look through the posts, there have been some very good defenses with many reasons why Jesus is God. Like I said, folks just don't want to admit it because it takes glory from them and gives it to Christ.

I will briefly answer your two quotes:

While the Son is subordinate and obedient to the Father he is still no less God, he is just in a different role and still equal to God. Like a human father and son, one is father, one is son, but both are human. So God the Father and Son are both still God.

Jesus asked why do you call me good, only God is good in reply to the man who said he kept the Law from his youth up but who ended up leaving sadly when asked to give up his possessions. Jesus was not saying he himself was not good but asked why he would call another mere man good (though of course Jesus wasn't another mere man but the sinless Son of God). He was trying to show him that he was not good either and needed Jesus as Savior. Jesus, of course is God and therefore is good and lived a sinless life and is the lamb without spot or blemish who knew no sin but became sin for us that we might be made the righteousness of God in Him. The man was trying to be saved by his self effort and obeying the Law, which he really did not do. All have sinned, and he knew he had at least been disobedient as a child and whatnot. The dead works of the Law do not save, but only faith in Christ saves and Christ was trying to point out that the man did have sin-covetousness, and had not kept the law and needed Christ. Got it?

Last edited:

Shermana

Heretic
Yes, at least to my satisfaction :sarcastic. If you look through the posts, there have been some very good defenses with many reasons why Jesus is God. Like I said, folks just don't want to admit it because it takes glory from them and gives it to Christ.

I will briefly answer your two quotes:

While the Son is subordinate and obedient to the Father he is still no less God, he is just in a different role and still equal to God. Like a human father and son, one is father, one is son, but both are human. So God the Father and Son are both still God.

Jesus asked why do you call me good, only God is good in reply to the man who said he kept the Law from his youth up but who ended up leaving sadly when asked to give up his possessions. Jesus was not saying he was not good but asked why he would call a mere man good. He was trying to show him that he was not good either and needed Jesus as Savior. Jesus, of course is God and therefore is good and lived a sinless life and is the lamb without spot or blemish who knew no sin but became sin for us that we might be made the righteousness of God in Him. Got it?

This is a common argument for use of the word "greater". Unfortunately (for the argument), John the Baptist refers to Jesus as someone "Greater", and Jesus uses "greater" as "someone greater than Solomon is here". As for "roles", it appears you are taking on a Modalistic theology, not a Trinitarian one. Perhaps you'd like to join the Oneness Pentecostals if this is your Theology? And even then, you contradict your own argument by saying that the human Father and Son are still humans though both are "god", as this would mean they are both "gods" (and hence agreeing with our interpretation of John 1:1's anarthrous Theos).

And no, there has been NO good defenses on this post whatsoever, perhaps you can find one and link to it that you feel is a "good defense".

Bob Dixon

>implying
Jesus asked why do you call me good, only God is good in reply to the man who said he kept the Law from his youth up but who ended up leaving sadly when asked to give up his possessions. Jesus was not saying he himself was not good but asked why he would call another mere man good (though of course Jesus wasn't another mere man but the sinless Son of God). He was trying to show him that he was not good either and needed Jesus as Savior. Jesus, of course is God and therefore is good and lived a sinless life and is the lamb without spot or blemish who knew no sin but became sin for us that we might be made the righteousness of God in Him. The man was trying to be saved by his self effort and obeying the Law, which he really did not do. All have sinned, and he knew he had at least been disobedient as a child and whatnot. The dead works of the Law do not save, but only faith in Christ saves and Christ was trying to point out that the man did have sin-covetousness, and had not kept the law and needed Christ. Got it?

Most of that made pretty much no sense.
Sorry.