• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Did Osama Bin Laden Win the "War on Terror"?

kai

ragamuffin
There are obvious differences between the Soviet economy of the 1980s and the American economy circa 2000. For instance, the Soviet economy was far more fragile than the American economy.

But, having stated the obvious, wouldn't it still be counter-factual to deny that the American economy was damaged by the attacks of 9/11? And wouldn't it also be counter-factual to deny that the American response to 9/11 cost the country a great deal of wealth?

There have been attempts to quantify in dollars the cost of Bin Laden's attacks on the American economy. While one might dispute the precise costs, or even which costs should be included, it seems that the estimates typically run into the trillions.

I do not believe Bin Laden won, but I also do not believe in denying that he partly succeeded -- and that a large part of his success could have been prevented by a wiser American response that the response mustered under those two clowns, Cheney and Bush.

sure it would but what i meant was Bin Laden would have you beleive he was resposible for the breakdown of the soviet union and some people would have you beleive he did that almost single handedly.

the statement
we, alongside the mujahidin, bled Russia for ten years, until it went bankrupt.”

Isnt the whole story is it, and yes it had a monetary effect on the US economy but that can be recovered from, whereas a bullet in the head and burial at sea cant.

I totally agree that the US response is the product of the Politicians holding power at the time but i dont think Bin Laden was that good a supervillian to know the outcome , i think it was just a momentous configuration of events.

kai

ragamuffin
I suggest that the greatest blow to the so called "Islamic" Terror groups like Alqueda is the "Arab spring" where hopefully freedom will come to the Arab street and men with long beards and charismatic personalities wont convince people that blowing themselves or others to smithereens is how to get freedom for their brothers and sisters.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
...i dont think Bin Laden was that good a supervillian to know the outcome , i think it was just a momentous configuration of events.

Of course Bin Laden could not have anticipated all that happened. But does one need to be a supervillian to know that Americans have a history of committing extraordinary wealth and resources to wars -- even futile wars?

Everyone knows Americans fight wars based on the superiority of our logistics. But logistical superiority can be expensive to accomplish. You don't need to be a supervillian to have noticed the US routinely spends a fortune each and every day that it's military is at war.

You also don't actually need to be a supervillian to have heard of the American response to Pearl Harbor. Nor do you need to be a genius to know the US damaged its economy as a consequence of fighting in Viet Nam. It seems possible even Bin Laden could have put together a strategy that any intelligent college kid with an aptitude for strategic thinking might have come up with.

kai

ragamuffin
Of course Bin Laden could not have anticipated all that happened. But does one need to be a supervillian to know that Americans have a history of committing extraordinary wealth and resources to wars -- even futile wars?

Everyone knows Americans fight wars based on the superiority of our logistics. But logistical superiority can be expensive to accomplish. You don't need to be a supervillian to have noticed the US routinely spends a fortune each and every day that it's military is at war.

You also don't actually need to be a supervillian to have heard of the American response to Pearl Harbor. Nor do you need to be a genius to know the US damaged its economy as a consequence of fighting in Viet Nam. It seems possible even Bin Laden could have put together a strategy that any intelligent college kid with an aptitude for strategic thinking might have come up with.

Then you wouldn't have to a genius to know the US survived all that! and unless you can top it, the best your going to do is wound it, but it will still kick your derrière and then convalesce.

Then you wouldn't have to a genius to know the US survived all that! and unless you can top it, the best your going to do is wound it, but it will still kick your derrière and then convalesce.
I actually think what you are saying and what Sunstone is saying are compatible, there's no contradiction, you're just emphasizing different things, both of which are true.

gnomon

bin Laden may or may not have won the war on terror but he lost the war for my heart.

Jeremy Mason

Arnt all those banks corporations and generals in the coalition?

Sadly, the banks finance both sides of most, if not all conflicts. :yes:
Double-down, divide and concur and get stinking wealth while watching their calculated mayhem inflict havoc on the naive and weak. Oh yes those bankers. Imagine a world with a fair economy.

kai

ragamuffin
I actually think what you are saying and what Sunstone is saying are compatible, there's no contradiction, you're just emphasizing different things, both of which are true.

Yeah i agree. But the OP asks "did he win the war on terror?" i have to say not unless i am missing something? of course he ( if we take him as the personification of Alqueda) dealt a blow to the US, but was it a mortal blow ? no. Oh Alqueda will live on but as an idea, a franchise for fragmented disparate groups around the world who share his warped view on the world. Its losing all the time militarily and socially and i think if the "Arab Spring" comes to fruition will die out.

Last edited:

Lavender

Well, polling wise, the War on Terror, the conflict in Afghanistan, is felt to not be over. At least that is what i read this morning.

"Americans Want to Stay the Course in Afghanistan"

Americans Want to Stay the Course in Afghanistan « Commentary Magazine

From the article:

Many liberal commentators have said that the death of bin Laden means that the war on terror is now over. But it doesn’t appear the vast majority of Americans are buying this. Over at Hot Air, Allahpundit notes that 72 percent believe that Al Qaeda remains a continuing threat in Afghanistan, according to the latest MSNBC poll. They also say it’s necessary for the U.S. to keep our troops there to deal with the problem. Here are the findings: