• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Differences in Biblical Interpetations

Debunker

That depends on who your God is.

Some believe their God expects them to think for themselves. others want to be herded.
to some of the Israelites the Hebrew Bible says that they shall be a ravenous wolf, in the morning devouring the prey, and at night dividing the spoil. to the Christians their scriptures preach to be as sheep. my advice is careful when you go out at night. some Jews love to camp.

Genesis 49:27

Funny thing, I read in the Torah where the God of the Jews brought Israel out of Egypt "harnessed" before Moses could give them the Commands of God. God does want us to think for ourselves but only the ones who obeyed God's words made it through the wilderness to the promised land. That was only one or two people as I recall.

You can lean on your own understanding if you like but "Josh:24:15: And if it seem evil unto you to serve the LORD, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD."

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
God does want us to think for ourselves but only the ones who obeyed God's words
Well, that's not really thinking for yourself is it?
That's the kind of thinking that forced men and women to hunt down scientists, women ('witches'), minorities and rival denominations. if the priest says so, it must be so. after all he is reading to us from the scriptures.

An intelligent man, the kind who thinks for themselves. will read the scripture, and think of what the writer or scribe has meant, what was his reality, and his situation during the time he wrote it, what did he try to inspire.
then he might say, 'that's very good', or he might say 'that's a good plan, but here's what we're gonna do'.
The Israelite scribes were one class from a political-social system, they worked for the security and prosperity of their people and this system. therefore it is the responsibility of any Jewish man to examine the words of each scribe, its implications, and the geopolitical inspiration for the scribe's instructions or words. a Christian man? I supposed he'll let the priest come up with the answers for him, after all the scripture does not belong to his nation or his ethnic group, so why bother in the first place.

Debunker

Well, that's not really thinking for yourself is it?
That's the kind of thinking that forced men and women to hunt down scientists, women ('witches'), minorities and rival denominations. if the priest says so, it must be so. after all he is reading to us from the scriptures.

An intelligent man, the kind who thinks for themselves. will read the scripture, and think of what the writer or scribe has meant, what was his reality, and his situation during the time he wrote it, what did he try to inspire.
then he might say, 'that's very good', or he might say 'that's a good plan, but here's what we're gonna do'.
The Israelite scribes were one class from a political-social system, they worked for the security and prosperity of their people and this system. therefore it is the responsibility of any Jewish man to examine the words of each scribe, its implications, and the geopolitical inspiration for the scribe's instructions or words. a Christian man? I supposed he'll let the priest come up with the answers for him, after all the scripture does not belong to his nation or his ethnic group, so why bother in the first place.
You begin by quoting me out of context. That does not win you any points in searching for truth.

Moses gave Israel "thus saith the Lord" after he knew God on the mountain. Moses and the surviving Israelites did all the things you said thinking men should do and the survivors obeyed God's commands and went into the promised land. Those who make up their own gods always were lrft behind to wonder in the wilderness.

What was Moses to say to the Lord on the mountain?

"Look, Lord let me think about this for forty days and have time to talk it over with trusted elders and then I will get back to you and then we will work things out about the commandments and the law."

You can try that approach if you like, but me and my house, we are going to start and end with the inspired Word of God as written. If a prophit wants to enlighten us about dabar, there is certainly enough knowledge in the the Bible to confirm or deny his truth. That is what I said and you know it. You may, of course disagree, but please disagree with what I said and not what you wanted to hear and refute. Basically, we both are close to saying the same thing in that we should spare no effort in seeking the truth.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
You begin by quoting me out of context. That does not win you any points in searching for truth.

Moses gave Israel "thus saith the Lord" after he knew God on the mountain. Moses and the surviving Israelites did all the things you said thinking men should do and the survivors obeyed God's commands and went into the promised land. Those who make up their own gods always were lrft behind to wonder in the wilderness.

What was Moses to say to the Lord on the mountain?

"Look, Lord let me think about this for forty days and have time to talk it over with trusted elders and then I will get back to you and then we will work things out about the commandments and the law."

You can try that approach if you like, but me and my house, we are going to start and end with the inspired Word of God as written. If a prophit wants to enlighten us about dabar, there is certainly enough knowledge in the the Bible to confirm or deny his truth. That is what I said and you know it. You may, of course disagree, but please disagree with what I said and not what you wanted to hear and refute. Basically, we both are close to saying the same thing in that we should spare no effort in seeking the truth.
Well good luck with finding the truth buddy. you're gonna need it.