• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Disproving god with the laws of logic

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Oh no, I cant specify. There will always be weak minded followers that can be manipulated. All religions should be illegal if they cant follow their original texts. I think that would knock out a lot Christian Churches (gay's in the pulpit, women leading the church), Muslim (killing with impunity) come to think of it there would be very few houses of religion left.
And who is to say which ones are and which ones are not "following their own scripture"?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Morality...or the lack of it...does not disprove God.

As many times as a perspective arises, it can be set aside.
Maybe you've noticed by now with so many postings at hand.

Then of course, the stand by of cause and effect won't go away.
The universe does exist. Something made it happen.

Religious people give the credit to God.
Proving God does not exist might be easier if someone could show a cause for the big bang...other than God.

Beaudreaux

Morality...or the lack of it...does not disprove God.

As many times as a perspective arises, it can be set aside.
Maybe you've noticed by now with so many postings at hand.

Then of course, the stand by of cause and effect won't go away.
The universe does exist. Something made it happen.

Religious people give the credit to God.
Proving God does not exist might be easier if someone could show a cause for the big bang...other than God.
What if the universe has simply always existed and never been caused?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
So Beau.....
To evade the existence of God you dis-allow the big bang?
You would say 'nay' to cause and effect?

McBell

Admiral Obvious
o8ifkx.jpg

Could I buy a real sentence?

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Let me clarify for the blissful. If it is not directly in the founding texts of the religion then said religion is just a social club.
And which "religions" do you think do not "follow the original texts"?

More specifically, which religions do you think that the founders of did not believe themselves that they are leading their flock BACK to the original texts?

Archer

And which "religions" do you think do not "follow the original texts"?

More specifically, which religions do you think that the founders of did not believe themselves that they are leading their flock BACK to the original texts?

That is why I said not many Churches would be left.

freethinker44

ie. Science says nothing can move faster than light yet parts of the universe have, do and will move faster than the speed of light. Now with that in mind scientifically speaking time is relative to light speed and the effects of time are distorted.

This isn't true. No part of the universe moves faster than the speed of light. It is the expanding space between them that makes them appear to be moving faster than they really are. Like if you and me were standing on a giant ballon and started walking away from each other at 4 mph and the ballon started expanding at 4 mph, we would be moving away from each other faster than our combined speeds because of the expanding space between us, but in actuallity, we would have never increased our original speed.

freethinker44

The Earth can be billions of years old and still be 6500 of our years old.

This isn't true either. The effects of time are only perceptually distorted as we move closer to the speed of light. The speed earth moves around the sun is too slow to notice any kind of distortion in time, maybe at the most you would lose a year every 10 or 20 billion. Austronauts orbiting the earth at 18,000 mph only lose a fraction of a second. The same applies to size, in order to notice any huge distortions in time from gravity you would need to be a black hole.

Beaudreaux

So Beau.....
To evade the existence of God you dis-allow the big bang?
You would say 'nay' to cause and effect?
Oh, I don't say nay to cause and effect (though it has been done effectively. Read David Hume). I simply say that the universe itself has no cause and has always existed. What's the problem?

freethinker44

Holding true to cause and effect is probably the greatest reason to not believe in a god. Any limitations you apply to the universe could equally be applied to god because eseentially, it is not the universe you are applying the limitations to, it is existence itself. ie, the universe could not EXIST without a cause, its not the universe you are really talking about, it is existence.

Beaudreaux

The scripture that is who, interpretation is crap and a joke.
If there's a more straighforward book that does not lend itself to interpretation than the Bible, I'd like to see what it is!
Leviticus 20 "9For every one that curseth his father or his mother shall be surely put to death: he hath cursed his father or his mother; his blood shall be upon him."

Deuteronomy 13 "6If thy brother, the son of thy mother, or thy son, or thy daughter, or the wife of thy bosom, or thy friend, which is as thine own soul, entice thee secretly, saying, Let us go and serve other gods, which thou hast not known, thou, nor thy fathers; 7Namely, of the gods of the people which are round about you, nigh unto thee, or far off from thee, from the one end of the earth even unto the other end of the earth;
8Thou shalt not consent unto him, nor hearken unto him; neither shall thine eye pity him, neither shalt thou spare, neither shalt thou conceal him:
9But thou shalt surely kill him; thine hand shall be first upon him to put him to death, and afterwards the hand of all the people. 10And thou shalt stone him with stones, that he die; because he hath sought to thrust thee away from the LORD thy God, which brought thee out of the land of Egypt, from the house of bondage. "
I applaud you for not trying to "interpret" away the straightforward meaning of these words.