• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

divorce and hymen.

mohammed_beiruti

background:

My ancestors were palestinians, they have some customs which are still exist :

1. it is very shameful and awful that a girl losing her virginity before marriage ,the destiny of such girl is death.

2.if a woman got divorced,the community would disrespect her.

let me explain,
-many would covet her because she is not virgin , and if someone commited adultery with her (secretly) , no one will discover this out because she had lost her hymen -from her first husband.

- any man who intend to marry , would not think of a divorced woman. they prefer virgin woman (a clean one).

3. it is shameful for any man who marry a whore, because he will be considered to be "adulterer" with no honor.

therefore "divorce" is considered to be disaster for women in this community , since it is very difficult to marry another man, she may think of making secret affairs with another man to satisfy her natural instinct(loving a male).

let me show some points :

1. Jesus lived in Palestine/israel.
2.the customs of my ancestors are very close to the people who lived there then.
3.the Jewish laws Allow divorce.
4.Pharisees where divorcing too much (it is allowed!)

what was Jesus suggestion then?

Mat 5:32 But I say unto you, That whosoever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery: and whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery.

this is my point of view please don't feel offended.

Renji

About the hymen, well, the tightness, "presence " or "absence" of a girl's hymen does not indicate if she is a virgin or not. But I guess, that's not the major issue here..

Renji

Mat 5:32 But I say unto you, That whosoever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery: and whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery.

About what Jesus said, well He doesn't actually allow divorce. What He said is (from one account in the bible) to either be 'separated', and remain single or to fix the problem and live together with your spouse...

Noaidi

slow walker
Why is so much emphasis placed on female chastity? Why are women so reviled for not being virgins? Every one of your points point to shame, disrespect, dishonour, uncleanliness etc because of a basic biological urge being fulfilled.

Sadly, your religion is not unique in this view of women.

kai

ragamuffin
Why is so much emphasis placed on female chastity? Why are women so reviled for not being virgins? Every one of your points point to shame, disrespect, dishonour, uncleanliness etc because of a basic biological urge being fulfilled.

Its a man thing, Jealousy pure and simple .men want to be the first and secretly hate it when they are not .

Noaidi

slow walker
Its a man thing, Jealousy pure and simple .men want to be the first and secretly hate it when they are not .

Yes, I suppose it is. It can be overcome, so it irks me that many religions adopt it within their doctrines rather than discarding it for a more equitable view of women. I'm amazed at how women can sign up for these basically mysogynistic religions.

Renji

I wouldn't be happy if I found out that my gf or wife (in the future) is having 'something' with another man. Sometimes, this issue can be discussed out of any religion because it is also about a man's instinct.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
As more and more enlightened religions accept women priests things should improve.

Virginity, if it is to carry some respect , should apply equally to men and women.

Why should a woman want a second hand man, who has probably picked up std's in his philandering.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
I wouldn't be happy if I found out that my gf or wife (in the future) is having 'something' with another man. Sometimes, this issue can be discussed out of any religion because it is also about a man's instinct.

And how would your Girlfriend or wife feel about you in similar circumstances? A womans feelings are Just as strong , instinctive and important as yours.

Midnight Pete

Nowadsays the hymen can be surgically reconstructed. And apparently it can be broken through means other than intercourse with a man.

Noaidi

slow walker

You mention your future partner. If she has had sex before meeting you, would you reject her as a possible partner?

averageJOE

zombie
1. it is very shameful and awful that a girl losing her virginity before marriage ,the destiny of such girl is death.

Just wanted to talk about these points.

1. You believe a woman who loses her virginity before marraige should die?
2. Divorce is a two way street. If a woman gets divorced then that means a man gets divorced. Would the "community" disrespect him just the same?

Why all this focus on the woman? If a woman lost her virginity before marriage that means either a man lost his virginity before marriage also, or a married man cheated on his wife with a virgin, making him a "dirty whore". Why not put this same focus on the man?

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
background:

Does it say anything about man-whores? Or are men allowed to have as much sex with as many people as they want?

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
let me explain,
-many would covet her because she is not virgin , and if someone commited adultery with her (secretly) , no one will discover this out because she had lost her hymen -from her first husband.

So what is the difference between a divorced woman and a widow in this context? Is the widow also destined for death and disrespected? Because her hymen is also broken, and she could be having lots of sex with another man and nobody would know.

Renji

You mention your future partner. If she has had sex before meeting you, would you reject her as a possible partner?

Case to case basis. Also, the scenario that I'm talking about is completely different than what you perceive. What I said is: " I wouldn't be happy if I found out that my gf or wife (in the future) is having 'something' with another man." meaning, it wouldn't be nice if I found out that my gf or wife that time is 'cheating' me to another man, also otherwise if she founds out that I'm cheating her.

Last edited:

Renji

And how would your Girlfriend or wife feel about you in similar circumstances? A womans feelings are Just as strong , instinctive and important as yours.

She would feel the same alright. Duh... I just didn't discussed it, but I do know that.

Ofcourse! Never did I say that their feelings aren't important:sarcastic

Last edited:
A

angellous_evangellous

background:

It's amazing to me that Islam can contribute so much to the world and yet live in the Dark Ages.

Eliot Wild

Irreverent Agnostic Jerk

No problem. I personally belive that you and anybody else who holds such views should be ashamed for your own opinion of women, especially when it comes to 'de-valueing' a person because she is not a virgin. But I also believe that you are simply too backward in culture and too dull of thought to realize how pathetically embarrassed you should feel for holding such ideas about women.

This is just my point of view; please don't feel offended.