• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do All Religions Teach Their Way Is The Only Right Way?

Madsaac

I know Christians say the only way to God is through Jesus and Muslims say that everybody is born a Muslim and other religions are wrong. Are there any other religions that believe their way is the only right way?

Yes they do and unfortunately millions and millions of people have died because of it.

Tamino

I don't think they were so inclusive and respectful.

According to Josephus in his The Jewish War (2.9.2) and Antiquities of the Jews (18.3.1), Pilate offended the Jews by moving imperial standards with the image of Caesar into Jerusalem.​
Yeah, but that is the point actually: the Jews and the Christians were the only "atheists".
All of the polytheist cults were generally inclusive - if you told an Egyptian or a Celt that they need to offer incense to the image of the Emperor, they would shrug their shoulders and do it, and then go back worshipping Ubasti or Belenos as usual. It was not a theological issue - worshipping other gods beside your own main deity, or making offerings to human kings, heroes or ancestors was totally fine in most of those cultures.

Only the Jews got in trouble, because their prohibition of images and their exclusive monotheism. They had a religious issue with "idols" of the emperor being moved into their city... and the Romans took that as a political issue because their loyalty to the empire was called into question.

Madsaac

Well, yes. But that is not the only human cause for people dying.
I view religion as a human behaviour and neither good or bad as such.

Yes but as far as the title of the thread goes.

Maybe I should have said, not only have millions died but maybe a billion people have suffered because religions believe their way is the only way.

PearlSeeker

Yeah, but that is the point actually: the Jews and the Christians were the only "atheists".
All of the polytheist cults were generally inclusive - if you told an Egyptian or a Celt that they need to offer incense to the image of the Emperor, they would shrug their shoulders and do it, and then go back worshipping Ubasti or Belenos as usual. It was not a theological issue - worshipping other gods beside your own main deity, or making offerings to human kings, heroes or ancestors was totally fine in most of those cultures.

Only the Jews got in trouble, because their prohibition of images and their exclusive monotheism. They had a religious issue with "idols" of the emperor being moved into their city... and the Romans took that as a political issue because their loyalty to the empire was called into question.

That's true. However, saying: "You can have your religion but you must worship my god or else..." is not really respectful and tolerant.

Tamino

That's true. However, saying: "You can have your religion but you must worship my god or else..." is not really respectful and tolerant.
Oh, no, the Romans were not tolerant of other cults because of a conscious ethical decision to value religious freedom - that is not at all the case, you are right.
The Romans needed an efficient way to run a multi-cultural empire, and chose one that made sense in the context of their own religious ideas.
Religious tolerance and exchange of ideas was more a side effect of the Roman politics, not its aim.

christos

Some sort of scholar dude who likes learning
I know Christians say the only way to God is through Jesus and Muslims say that everybody is born a Muslim and other religions are wrong. Are there any other religions that believe their way is the only right way?
Yeah most religions generally speaking claim to be THE truth without being aware that none of them are THE truth

All religions are Infact half truths as being humans we can never know THE truth of some infinite entity or purpose

Some people within religions of course are aware of this and are very honest

Some get into pointless fights over THEIR truth, like Christian’s generally saying “if you don’t know Christ, you’ll go to hell”, so that’s the majority of us doomed

And of course some religions or spiritualism understand fully that they cannot know THE truth and so there’s more emphasis on just trying to understand what we can

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
Paganism is definitely practice over belief. We aren't the only right way. That's not how Pluralism works

This is one of the reasons why I enjoy practicing Wicca and Druidry. I don't mind saying that it has been very liberating for me as a former Christian. Neither Wicca nor Druidry constrain me, nor do I feel morally obligated to appease a specific god. That said, I don't want to derail this thread with a lengthy explanation, so I'll provide a link to a previous post in which I further explained what it means to me to be a Wiccan and a Druid, as well as the positive impact practicing Wicca and Druidry has had on my life. To be quite honest, I wish I had done this many years ago, but we all live and learn.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
I suspect in a world without religion even more people would have died.

The earliest religion emerged from persistence hunters. Their practice successfully put food on the table for their tribe, and if it didn't, the primitive scout-stalker died in the field. Religion is an evolved survival trait.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
The earliest religion emerged from persistence hunters. Their practice successfully put food on the table for their tribe, and if it didn't, the primitive scout-stalker died in the field. Religion is an evolved survival trait.

Got any actual sociology or biology on that?

christos

Some sort of scholar dude who likes learning
I think what is a useful teaching might be is this, I’ll paraphrase

That all are unique and have unique minds and experiences
There is no ONE way towards God and no ONE way towards spiritualism or enlightenment

All should strive to be spiritually full, but never actually be spiritually full

Those who are spiritually full will never listen to others
Whereas, those who are not spiritually full, will always be open and listen to each other

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
There is actually quite a bit on this topic.

From the wiki link -
"Scientists generally agree with the idea that a propensity to engage in religious behavior evolved early in human history. However, there is disagreement on the exact mechanisms that drove the evolution of the religious mind. There are two schools of thought. One is that religion itself evolved due to natural selection and is an adaptation, in which case religion conferred some sort of evolutionary advantage. The other is that religious beliefs and behaviors, such as the concept of a protogod,[2][3] may have emerged as by-products of other adaptive traits without initially being selected for because of their own benefits.[4][5][6] A third suggestion is that different aspects of religion require different evolutionary explanations but also that different evolutionary explanations may apply to several aspects of religion.[7]"

So it is in effect no theory, but different hypothesises.

Jimmy

King Phenomenon
There’s several theories about how religion first started.

The Hammer

Skald
Premium Member
From the wiki link -
"Scientists generally agree with the idea that a propensity to engage in religious behavior evolved early in human history. However, there is disagreement on the exact mechanisms that drove the evolution of the religious mind. There are two schools of thought. One is that religion itself evolved due to natural selection and is an adaptation, in which case religion conferred some sort of evolutionary advantage. The other is that religious beliefs and behaviors, such as the concept of a protogod,[2][3] may have emerged as by-products of other adaptive traits without initially being selected for because of their own benefits.[4][5][6] A third suggestion is that different aspects of religion require different evolutionary explanations but also that different evolutionary explanations may apply to several aspects of religion.[7]"

So it is in effect no theory, but different hypothesises.

Nothing is a 100% certainty, you of all people know this very well.