• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do animals have souls?

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
My wife and I are having a disagreement over this. I do not believe they do. She thinks they do! This discussion started over the reincarnation thread. She believes that if reincarnation does exist, she might come back as a cat! I can't fathom that, because I don't believe animals have souls, Your thoughts?

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
I believe that if there is such a thing as reincarnation, that I would get to Heaven, find out that I screwed up and need to go back to earth and do it again, hopefully getting it right. It's a thought, not a firm belief! And coming back as a dog or cat or tree or such.... well, I don't believe they have souls, which would be impossible to do.

Evenstar

The Wicked Christian
LOL! He has made me out to be a batty old cow.
I believe in reincarnation, and I also believe your soul can enter into anything, so yes I could well become a cat​
I also believe that animals have souls too. (sticking my tongue out to anyone who disagrees)

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Is it wise of me to get involved in what seems to be a domestic dispute? I side with jgallandt in so far as I don't know whether there is reincarnation. But I side with Rebecca in so far as, if there is reincarnation, I don't see why it should be for humans only. Looks like I've made both sides mad! *Runs and hides*

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Sunstone said:
Is it wise of me to get involved in what seems to be a domestic dispute? I side with jgallandt in so far as I don't know whether there is reincarnation. But I side with Rebecca in so far as, if there is reincarnation, I don't see why it should be for humans only. Looks like I've made both sides mad! *Runs and hides*
Oh Sunstone, you marriage wrecker!! I am so disappointed in you.........

I am honestly not sure about reincarnation (although there would seem to be evidence for it) ; but I am satisfied that animals have souls.

So, take your pick, and make sure you kiss and make up at the end of the day!:D

Evenstar

The Wicked Christian
LOL! we have made up, he just thinks im crazy, the dog bit him for saying that she didnt have a soul.... that showed him :D
Sunstone you can stop hiding, you saw my point lol.​
And michel, well we are both on the same wave length so I did have faith in you.

Dark_Waltz

Meh when I was at church my sunday school teacher used to tell me animals have no souls and they just die (grrrr)
Sod that! Animals have alot of personality and energy and they certainly have a spirit like the rest of us!

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
Rebecca said:
LOL! we have made up, he just thinks im crazy, the dog bit him for saying that she didnt have a soul.... that showed him :D
Sunstone you can stop hiding, you saw my point lol.​
And michel, well we are both on the same wave length so I did have faith in you.
The dog did not bite me, just growled at me! LOL. :) So far I'm being out numbered! UGH!

Evenstar

The Wicked Christian
Dark_Waltz said:
Meh when I was at church my sunday school teacher used to tell me animals have no souls and they just die (grrrr)
Sod that! Animals have alot of personality and energy and they certainly have a spirit like the rest of us!
I feel quite angry when people say they have no souls, I truely believe they do.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
I am sure all Life comes from God and has souls.
As for reincarnation If that is what God wants for you that is what will happen.

I think my last two Dashunds were connected with the church in their previous life.
The last one was invited to all services by the priest, He even knew when to stand sit and kneel. he usually beat me to it.
Though I did not take him that often, as I think some of the people were a bit taken aback by it.
When I went up for communion, he sat in his place and just watched.

Terry______________________
Blessed are the pure of heart, they shall behold their God.

Terry

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The question here is what evidence lead to these disparate opinions? Either you each have access to different data bases or your decision-making algorithms differ.

A logical analysis of your pooled data should resolve the issue -- or bring to light the need for more empirical data or a better algorithm.

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
Seyorni said:
The question here is what evidence lead to these disparate opinions? Either you each have access to different data bases or your decision...

A logical analysis of your pooled data should resolve the issue --...
My wife says since the dog bit me, (I swear it was just a growl), that that is proof enough!
My luck is, if animals do have souls and you are reincarnated, that I'll come back as a cow and be eaten for all the hamburgers I've consumed! :(

Dark_Waltz

Rebecca said:
I feel quite angry when people say they have no souls, I truely believe they do.
I know what you mean, when I was 5 I saw this dog born and we grew up together she was very special to me we had a very close relationship, My parents thought I was mad because I would talk to her,
She seemed to have a sixth sense too,
Then in June I lost her and greived for her more so than members of my own family that I have lost.
She had as every bit a soul as anyone I know

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
I've always believed that animals have souls. Just because they can't speak doesn't mean they dont think and feel. But i think that anything alive except humans have a greater connection to the devine because of their inability to speak and their 6th sense they seem to have. Humans made a nasty trade off, we can speak and invent, but we've lost the thing that connects us all... hence a search for god....

cardero

Citizen Mod
A nice rule of thumb is if the physical entity (human or animal or plant) breathes (dependant on the physical environment) or lives or grows or thinks or evolves or exists it contains a soul.

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
Ok, maybe they do. I just told our dog that I believe she has a soul. We watched a program last night about J.F.K. I told our dog maybe She's the reincarnation of John Kennedy. My wife replies "Maybe that's why she's so afraid of loud bangs!"

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
hahaha, makes sense... tell her if she's jfk's re-incarnate that he got what he deserved! (not ur dog though, im sure she's an angel)

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
jgallandt said:
My wife says since the dog bit me, (I swear it was just a growl), that that is proof enough!
My luck is, if animals do have souls and you are reincarnated, that I'll come back as a cow and be eaten for all the hamburgers I've consumed! :(

Perhaps you'll come back as your wife....

Question: What biological/qualitative differences are there that produce souls in hominids but not in Canids or felids?
Do you have any links to studies or research projects?

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Seyorni said:
Perhaps you'll come back as your wife....

Question: What biological/qualitative differences are there that produce souls in hominids but not in Canids or felids?
Do you have any links to studies or research projects?

[/indent]
Seyorni, I wish you'd take this subject seriously......besides, I have to keep diving for the dictionary!:biglaugh:

Evenstar

The Wicked Christian
Dark_Waltz said:
I know what you mean, when I was 5 I saw this dog born and we grew up together she was very special to me we had a very close relationship, My parents thought I was mad because I would talk to her,
She seemed to have a sixth sense too,
Then in June I lost her and greived for her more so than members of my own family that I have lost.
She had as every bit a soul as anyone I know
I am so sorry to hear about your dog, BUT I believe he is still with you.