• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do Atheists believe in free-will?

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
There is no free-will. It is all conditional. We act according to conditions that we may be in... That we are acting of our free-will is an illusion.
But that's exactly why there is free will. Not all the conditions are knowable, and illusions exist.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
You try to take into consideration all factors before you act, scenerio one might happen so I do this, scenerio two might not happen, so I do this, scenerio three .. and so on. Is your action out of free-will? It is very much conditional. That is what I said, free-will is an illusion.

Last edited:

lamplighter

Almighty Tallest
Alright if free will isn't possible, then what about instances like game shows where the person is blindly choosing a door (like Door A, Door B and Door C) for a prize or MXC where they have to go through a paper door that is either an exit or a wall. Isn't their choice in a situation such as these not an example of free will?

Also......
free%20willy%20SPLASH.jpg

BucephalusBB

ABACABB
Alright if free will isn't possible, then what about instances like game shows where the person is blindly choosing a door (like Door A, Door B and Door C) for a prize or MXC where they have to go through a paper door that is either an exit or a wall. Isn't their choice in a situation such as these not an example of free will?
Not at all. Do you think a computer can be programmed in such a way that it choses a door? And if you look at the statistics, I bet you will find that not every door has the same tries.
On the moment of choosing, there are many variables that could change his mind. Theway the doors look, the door the host looks most at, the letter or number the person countered the most in his life, or even his favourite number.
At one moment, you'll start thinking about what door they would have hidden it. The last 3 times you saw the show it was hidden behind door C, so this time it's probably not behind door C. Door A seems obvious as that is the opposite side, so they probably left it at door B. So you start walking towards door B. But than the crowd goes boo-ing. They think you better try A. You saw the crowd failing many times on the show, so eventually you choose door B.... Darn, they made it C again...

All of this sound like free will, while in real life, you would have always choosen B..

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
So if all conditions are knowable and a situation in where 50-50 (%) happens can no longer be determined by free will?
If that (impossible) condition were ever to occur, that would allow for all conditions to be knowable, then the illusion of free will could no longer work on us.

Doodlebug02

I am an Atheist and I most certainly do believe in free will. I don't see how you can believe in anything but free will. I mean, we're not robots.

EINSTEIN said this about free will

"I do not believe in free will. Schopenhauer's words: 'Man can do what he wants, but he cannot will what he wills,' accompany me in all situations throughout my life and reconcile me with the actions of others, even if they are rather painful to me. This awareness of the lack of free will keeps me from taking myself and my fellow men too seriously as acting and deciding individuals, and from losing my temper."

Tristesse

There is no "atheist" position on the issue. Because all atheism is, is a lack of belief or disbelief in a god or gods. Everything else is up for grabs.

genypher

there is no "atheist" position, as has been previously stated.

I have a lot of trouble with free will. I guess I believe in limited will. I think that our choices are so very determined by our experiences, culture and genetics that it is hard to pin point what one is doing completely of their own volition vs. what they are programmed to do by one or more of those three elements.