• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do atheist's believe in psychic abilities?

Jeremy Mason

:help:

That is to say Edgar seems like a talented entertainer for his time. He even gave money back to people who weren't satisfied. This is not proof of anything or deserving of more then a golf clap and smile.

What kind of proof are you looking for? With 14,000+ documented readings, Edgar Casey is the most documented prophet to date.

Sententia

What kind of proof are you looking for? With 14,000+ documented readings, Edgar Casey is the most documented prophet to date.

There is documentation but what does it prove? To me it shows he was an entertainer... that times equivalent of Criss Angel or David Blain. Of course those guys are bit more flashy... perhaps Suzane Northrop....

All 3 claim to be doing real magic. (I mean yeah I threw in a Blain spoof there because its one of the funnier spoofs I have seen) But Suzane is a professional paid medium who bridges the gap between our world and that of the dead. You can call her and by just your voice she can reach out and talk to dead relatives and make sure you have a pencil and write down what she says... (I have seen her act... BUT she doesnt think its an act. She claims its real.)

Is her act or personal claim or "testimony of others on her ability" proof of the spirit world? Is proof that we dont die? Proof of ghosts? Or is Suzane just an artist and entertainer? (Obviously Suzane takes herself very seriously btw as it is how she makes her living.)

Jeremy Mason

I see your point. I guess the more you know about Edgar Cacey, the more likely you come away with the impression that he was not using his abilities for entertainment or selfish gain. When people tried using Cacey's powers for selfish purposes, Cayce would become seriously ill and as a result, only trusted people could be present during his readings. He wasn't a rich man and was on the brink of financial catastrophy more than once.

I guess only you can determine for yourself the motives for Cacey's readings. The important aspects that I see are in Edgar's good and simple nature. He had a strong faith and says that all of us have the ability to prophecy if only we could train and focus our minds to recognize our subconscience resources.

Here is some more info

YouTube - edgar casey -2/5
YouTube - edgar casey -3/5
YouTube - edgar casey -4/5
YouTube - edgar casey -5/5

Edgar Cayce's Life Story

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
I fail to see how mild electrical currents and chemicals released in someone's skull could somehow effect an object outside of the body with no physical contact, or send/receive information of any sort to another person without aid, I think that's why we have to use our hands for object manipulation and settle for this oral and visual communication stuff for so long.
There is an argument to be made (though I doubt I'm up to making it) for the idea that it is only because we disbelieve in those sorts of things that we have to "settle for this oral and visual communication stuff for so long." :)

Reiðrœska

Voice deeper than Thor's
I'd just like to point out that the apostraphe in 'Atheist's' in the title isn't necessary.

Actually, I'd also like to say that I don't see why an atheist couldn't believe in psychic powers. Many LaVayan Satanists, for example, believe in magic (which is essentially using psychic powers) despite being atheits.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
I'd just like to point out that, while I'm not terribly familiar with the research, my understanding is that the "psi effect" has been proven. It's not common, but the evidence says it's there.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
I'd just like to point out that, while I'm not terribly familiar with the research, my understanding is that the "psi effect" has been proven. It's not common, but the evidence says it's there.
In my opinion one cannot declare something "proven" if they cannot even describe how it works. As a good example, scientists in the 70's designed a series of experiments to attempt to examine a phenomenon that they defined as "astrology" and entirely failed to come up with meaningful results simply because their experiments addressed what they expected astrology to be about (the hype) rather than anything appropriately resembling what goes on in the practice of astrology. To their credit they can't take all the blame, as many astrologers can't even define what goes on in their practice (it's magic!).

Yerda

Veteran Member
What is the "psi effect" and from where did you gather your understanding, Storm?

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
What is the "psi effect"...
From Wikipedia:
The term psi denotes anomalous processes of information or energy transfer, processes such as telepathy or other forms of extrasensory perception that are currently unexplained in terms of known physical or biological mechanisms. The term is purely descriptive: It neither implies that such anomalous phenomena are paranormal nor connotes anything about their underlying mechanisms.
See also Psionics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
What is the "psi effect" and from where did you gather your understanding, Storm?
Mostly from tangential mentions in other works, tbh. Like I said, I'm not terribly familiar with it.

However, my (very limited) understanding is that studies have ben done showing a rate of prediction slightly higher than random chance can account for.

It was discussed briefly in the book The Spiritual Brain, but I'm afraid I don't have that one handy.

Sorry I'm not more help. :sorry1:

Masourga

I prefer to maintain an "I don't know" state or "skeptical until proven" attitude about all of it.

Do I totally rule out psychic abilities? No. I look at old culturally held beliefs and stories and see a lot of commonality. For instance, witches and wizards. Exist in almost every culture, and yet many cultures who developed the stories had no contact with one another. Perhaps there is more to human potential that we have forgotten than we realize. Who knows or can say for sure?

And as it seems that the original topic poster was looking to cast a frown upon atheists for believing in the supernatural when there is no evidence, yet do not believe God though there is no evidence... the same sort of mentality could be applied to the believers too. For instance... I could make the generalization that because you believe in God (which you cannot see, cannot prove) then you must also believe in fairies, and goblins, and vampires, and unicorns, and on, and on, and on... simply because you cannot prove/disprove those either. Therefore, even from your perspective, belief in a certain, unprovable thing has absolutely NO bearing on belief in ANY other thing.

In conclusion, saying atheists who believe in the supernatural are inconsistent in any way is totally, TOTALLY the pot calling the kettle black. And is just plain ignorant.

Jeremy Mason

And as it seems that the original topic poster was looking to cast a frown upon atheists for believing in the supernatural when there is no evidence, yet do not believe God though there is no evidence... the same sort of mentality could be applied to the believers too. For instance... I could make the generalization that because you believe in God (which you cannot see, cannot prove) then you must also believe in fairies, and goblins, and vampires, and unicorns, and on, and on, and on... simply because you cannot prove/disprove those either. Therefore, even from your perspective, belief in a certain, unprovable thing has absolutely NO bearing on belief in ANY other thing.

No, I was just curious.

In conclusion, saying atheists who believe in the supernatural are inconsistent in any way is totally, TOTALLY the pot calling the kettle black. And is just plain ignorant.

How so?

stacey bo bacey

oh no you di'int

Whaaaat? Are you sure you know how to read? There was no sentiment like that implied at all.

Sometimes people confuse me so much that it hurts my brain.

Comicaze247

See the previous line
I'm not atheist, but I don't see why not. We human beings have much potential with our brains, but haven't tapped into it yet. Psychic ability would be something purely biological IMHO. A mutated gene that allows somebody to more easily access that certain part of the human mind that performs said psychic abilities. Or a gene that more easily allows that person to use more of their brain at once than the average person.

Jeremy Mason

I'm not atheist, but I don't see why not. We human beings have much potential with our brains, but haven't tapped into it yet. Psychic ability would be something purely biological IMHO. A mutated gene that allows somebody to more easily access that certain part of the human mind that performs said psychic abilities. Or a gene that more easily allows that person to use more of their brain at once than the average person.

OK...maybe it's...oh...I don't know...a concentration issue. I'm not trying to be facetious and biology sure would have it's pros and cons, but to imply it's "purely biological" would undermine many other qualities of physic phenomenon.

Comicaze247

See the previous line
OK...maybe it's...oh...I don't know...a concentration issue. I'm not trying to be facetious and biology sure would have it's pros and cons, but to imply it's "purely biological" would undermine many other qualities of physic phenomenon.
Other qualities such as?

That's all just my opinion, btw.

I remember on a discovery channel special about child prodigies that studies of brain activity in child prodigies showed something in the communication center of the brain that they were communicating even though they weren't talking (I'm talking about children that were miles apart from each other having such brain activity at the same time). Because of this, they suspected that these child prodigies can communicate with each other telepathically in their own language. I'm not saying I fully believe this (I'd need to watch it again) but it does make me wonder.

I mean, how beautiful would it be to realize that the average human brain is capable of such things?