• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do People Get Personally Insulted By Vegetarianism?

illykitty

RF's pet cat
So, are you only asking rhetorical questions or do you occasionally refer to context?

I'd simply want an answer to determine if you are an omnivore or carnivore as I seriously doubt that you truly are the latter. Either way, I was just playing around.

Whenever there's a veg topic, be it on forums or YouTube, I often see people say they are "carnivores" really mean they're omnivores. It just seems whenever vegetarianism is discussed, that pops up and I find that amusing. :D

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
I'd simply want an answer to determine if you are an omnivore or carnivore as I seriously doubt that you truly are the latter. Either way, I was just playing around.

Technically, being an omnivore and a carnivore aren't mutually exclusive. The only requirement for being a carnivore is that you eat meat. One can both an omnivore and a carnivore.

car·ni·vore

noun \ˈkär-nə-ˌvȯr\ :

an animal that eats meat : a meat eater

car·ni·vore

/ˈkɑr
thinsp.png
nəˌvɔr, -ˌvoʊr/
Show Spelled[kahr-nuh-vawr, -vohr] Show IPA
noun 1. an animal that eats flesh.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
That is of course correct, being a carnivore does not have to mean an exclusive meat eating diet. However, in light of recent exchange it is interesting to note that I have not spoken about being carnivorous in first person. In addition, that still wouldn't be the point, as the point was in reference to a specific sentence in Tumah's post.
However, thank you for your quest to perpetuate education Kilgore :D

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I think vegetarians/vegans are stereotyped as being smug and sanctimonious, so people jump to this presumption once they hear that someone doesn't eat meat.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
That is of course correct, being a carnivore does not have to mean an exclusive meat eating diet. However, in light of recent exchange it is interesting to note that I have not spoken about being carnivorous in first person. In addition, that still wouldn't be the point, as the point was in reference to a specific sentence in Tumah's post.
However, thank you for your quest to perpetuate education Kilgore :D

To quote the Padishah Emperor, Shaddam IV, "respect for the truth comes close to being the basis for all morality." And, being that I am a scion of morality, what choice do I have but to convey truth when I see it?

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
I think vegetarians/vegans are stereotyped as being smug and sanctimonious, so people jump to this presumption once they hear that someone doesn't eat meat.
Inspired by Kilgore's recent reference to Shaddam IV I am compelled to speak the truth, or my mind as it were. Since I wanted to reassure vegetarians and vegans in this thread that the average omnivore and carnivore, whether human or animal, whether specializing in eating or whether specializing in meat eating doesn't judge them I told Guitar's Cry the truth... every person who visits my house to eat will be offered the food they eat, they are after all guests who are welcomed.
However on the broader philosophical level, vegetarianism or veganism may or may not come from a constructive and informed agenda, just as being someone who does not avoid meat or dairy products may or may not be leading a thought out and sustainable diet.
I never as a rule ask awkward questions from vegans or vegetarians, they are not such a rare creature on the landscape... as they say: 'Some of my best friends are [insert generic class of person]'. As far as I am concerned everyone is free to make their own choices and live the best lives they can. However objectively, neither vegetarianism or veganism are a proof of such an informed way of life. It could be motivated primarily by knee jerk reactionary psychology rather than an extensive several years research (which is really what it should take). For example by the same token people who propagate for alternative fuel use may actually also promote the land grab of defenseless poor groups in foreign land who sit on areas needed to be cultivated for such alternative energy. Avoiding eating meat and attempting to promote forms of agriculture pretty much spells the death of millions of insects, mammals, and reptiles who are going to be shredded by the work done on the fields. There are of course endless factors and examples to consider here, which I doubt any lay person or even a professional is capable of evaluating fully.
As they say... the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Some people get personally insulted by just about anything ... what make of car you drive , for example. "What? You drive a Toyota? What kind of stupid stupid moronic blankety blank are you?"

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Some people get personally insulted by just about anything ... what make of car you drive , for example. "What? You drive a Toyota? What kind of stupid stupid moronic blankety blank are you?"
What? It's only the most reliable Asian car brand! What nonsense is that!

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
What? It's only the most reliable Asian car! What nonsense is that!

In the U.S., it's usually the older and/or southern people who have a distaste for any foreign 'make' of car.

Hell, they have heated debates and brand loyalty when it comes to domestic automobile 'makes' (Ford vs. Chevy, etc.) This is often reflected by a window decal depicting an unlicensed Calvin from "Calvin and Hobbes" urinating upon the brand emblem of whatever 'make' they dislike. :rolleyes:

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
In the U.S., it's usually the older and/or southern people who have a distaste for any foreign 'make' of car.

Hell, they have heated debates and brand loyalty when it comes to domestic automobile 'makes' (Ford vs. Chevy, etc.) This is often reflected by a window decal depicting an unlicensed Calvin from "Calvin and Hobbes" urinating upon the brand emblem of whatever 'make' they dislike. :rolleyes:
See... us Israelis are complete whores when it comes to cars... We ride Asian, German, Italian, French, and yes also American cars.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
My father used to remind me of the days when ALL cars were hated, so when we'd drive by some guy with a flat, he'd yell the even older insult, "Get a horse!"
And by that I can only assume he meant a Mustang. Had the guy rode an Andalusian steed your father would call him out to be Spanish peacock.