• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do we have a sixth sense?

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
So, traditionally humans are described to have five senses. I say traditionally because, according to google, some scientists are saying they discovered a sixth sense called "proprioception". But let's pretend that doesn't exist.

When I say "sixth sense", I mean having supernatural intuition. That's how it is traditionally understood, right? Like, we have a third eye that sees what our five senses cannot see.

Do you believe that humans have a capacity to see beyond what is visible to the five senses? If there is something else out there, such as a parallel spiritual realm, then the sixth sense is perhaps our capacity to sense it.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
So, traditionally humans are described to have five senses. I say traditionally because, according to google, some scientists are saying they discovered a sixth sense called "proprioception". But let's pretend that doesn't exist.

When I say "sixth sense", I mean having supernatural intuition. That's how it is traditionally understood, right? Like, we have a third eye that sees what our five senses cannot see.

Do you believe that humans have a capacity to see beyond what is visible to the five senses? If there is something else out there, such as a parallel spiritual realm, then the sixth sense is perhaps our capacity to sense it.
No. Its clearly not a sense as there is no physicality associated as it is with our other senses, unless our supernatural organ can be pointed out on or in our bodies.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist

I don't if I would call it a "6th sense", but I had a long series of "premonitions" that literally shook me to my very core and led me to make some changes to my life.

PureX

Veteran Member

There are forms of energy that we are only very vaguely aware of that can sometimes enhance our perception of our surroundings. I think that's pretty obvious to most us. But because we have no way of describing that energy or of investigating it, and because it is quite subtle in it's effect, it remains a mystery to us.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

Although there are 5 basic senses it's argued that are really somewhere between 14 and 22 senses thought most are quite subtle and not usually considered as senses such as sense of hunger or thirst or balance ot movement...

But as far as i know non are supernatural

PureX

Veteran Member
I doubt that there's anything "supernatural" about it. But that's a strange word to use in any context. How would we even know?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

Proprioception or the sense of self-movement.
Some consider this a 6th sense.
The ability to sense body position and movement.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member

If I could see some evidence that such a thing exists, then I would be prepared to investigate further into how it might work. But I've seen exactly zero such evidence, so my own feeling is that it doesn't exist.

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.

To be quite honest, that won't be easy for me to pretend that the sixth sense does not exist.

Yes, I believe that is correct.

Yes, I firmly believe that there are people who can see beyond what the five senses can perceive. And, yes, I believe in a spiritual realm as well as psychic mediums who can speak with and interact with human spirits (and nonhuman entities) who are earthbound or have crossed over into the spiritual realm.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member

Yes. I have learned through teachings I respect that we have an interpenetrating subtle/astral body that has senses of its own. These senses can sense things in the external world including that which is beyond the familiar three-dimensions of our physical senses and instruments.

A demonstration of this can be seen in Near Death Experiences where the astral body separates from the physical body. With the physical eyes closed the person can report clearly on the activity around them from an outside the body perspective. In this case the person is using astral sensing.

In the waking state some people are more sensitive to the additional input from these astral/psychic senses picking up on things not directly detectable by the physical senses (i.e. a sixth sense).

Last edited:

HonestJoe

I see no reason to accept that hypothesis.

We do know that our physical senses are much more capable that we typically give them credit for (since so much of it happens instinctively) and similarly we underestimate our ability to process all of that sensory data and all of the other information we have in our brains to reach intuitive conclusions. I'm not convinced there is anything that would require any kind of mystical "sixth sense" to account for it.

GardenLady

I once heard this phenomenon described in this way: "You know how dogs can hear things we can't hear? Maybe some people can know things most people can't know."

I can believe that some people seem to have a sixth sense because their brains are wired to observe, remember, and piece together things at a level that most people don't. But having info about people and things they have never observed? I don't buy it.

GardenLady

In this case the person is using astral sensing.

Or maybe they can hear even though unconscious or in extremis and their brains fill in the visual based on experience, TV, movies, etc. about what likely goes on in a medical crisis. I don't know, but I have to consider that this is a possibility.

wellwisher

Hypnosis can be used to help one remember things that were only subliminally sensed but not fully conscious to the ego. It is often used to help witnesses of a crime see details, they cannot consciously remember.

Say the unconscious mind was watching and collecting data; subliminal data, while we the ego are not as focused. Next, say the subliminal data was processed and then becomes conscious to the ego, the awareness of the outside data will actually comes to the ego from within and not the five senses. This is often thought to be a six sense. Terms like a feeling in your heart, or a gut feeling, is part of an internal sensory system that the body and unconscious mind use to help the ego gain awareness of unconscious processing. In the case of imaginary data; fantasy, this data does not come directly from the five senses, but is wired in parallel so it can appear sensory in origin; hallucination and projection.

Nancy Regan, the wife of former President Ronald Regan was very protective of her husband. She had a six sense about people, so she could stay one step ahead. This may have been based on subtle subliminal cues, that her unconscious mind would make conscious, in a very quick time. People would not try to mess with her Ronnie, when she was around. She would size people up and allow him to be surrounded by friends. They were a good couple and team.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
it's argued that are really somewhere between 14 and 22 senses
As you alluded, people refer to the five senses, but they are only referring to sensing what exists outside the body, and they are grouping a variety of tactile senses such as temperature, touch, and vibration senses, all with their own receptors, together. We can call these the exteroceptors. They tell us about ambient circumstances outside of the skin.

Then, we have a series of senses that tell us about the outer body, the musculoskeletal system wrapped in skin and surrounding and protecting the viscera (the guts) and nervous system. Thus, we know the orientation of our body and its limbs in space (sitting, standing, arm up, off balance), and we are aware of body motion (walking, turning)

Then, there are senses about the viscera, such as heartburn, a ruptured appendix, and angina. These are mostly pain sensors.

And there are sensory receptors informing us of the liquid state of our bodies - our chemistry - such as thirst when the blood is hyperosmolar, or fever when the immune system is at war in the bloodstream. These last three can be called interoception, and they are also evidence once they become experienced.

And finally, we sense our brains as it delivers memories, emotions, desires, and the like. It tells us what we know about the evidence we receive from the non-nervous tissues and how we feel about it, including whether we consider something valuable or not, beautiful or not, funny or not, and sacred or not. All of these phenomena from the brain and peripheral nervous system (retina and optic nerve, cochlea and auditory nerve, temperature and vibration sensors in the skin) are combined into a kaleidoscopic experience that dances past the observer in the theater of consciousness.

A common error is mistaking apprehensions generated by the unconscious brain as being received by it from without, as if the brain were receiving something rather than generating it de novo. This is the basis for psychological projection - misidentifying the source of the apprehension as something other than self.
I once heard this phenomenon described in this way: "You know how dogs can hear things we can't hear? Maybe some people can know things most people can't know."
We have a test for that. Let's use people instead of dog, because we can interview them. The question the alert and inquisitive mind asks is whether those people are all sensing something he can't, or whether they're not. Let me share the parable of the color-blind boy.

He's been told all his life that that what he sees as a kind of gray color is actually either of two colors, red or green - that he's colorblind - and he believes it, until one day he remembers all of the other collective pranks pulled on him like the Santa Claus and Tooth Fairy stories. And then there was that day snipe hunting. So, he wants to test whether people are seeing something he can't see or not. To do this, he buys a few dozen pairs of red socks and green socks, numbers them, and has somebody who claims to see these colors tell him whether #1 is red or green, #2 next, and so on, until he has a list of sock numbers and alleged colors.

Then, he has several people who claim to see red and green identify the sock colors separately and without prior collaboration. If their answers are the same, he knows they see something not visible to him, and if the answers are all over the place, he knows he's being pranked.

This is how we know that people claiming to experience a god don't. Their descriptions of their gods and other paranormal claims are all over the place.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Or maybe they can hear even though unconscious or in extremis and their brains fill in the visual based on experience, TV, movies, etc. about what likely goes on in a medical crisis. I don't know, but I have to consider that this is a possibility.
You can consider that a possibility but I think it wears too thin when they know mundane details not really to be expected and even knowledge at a distance like outside their hospital room.

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
You can consider that a possibility but I think it wears too thin when they know mundane details not really to be expected and even knowledge at a distance like outside their hospital room.

I've never had a near-death experience, but being a psychic medium, I have shared specific private details about a stranger's deceased and/or surviving loved ones, as well as specific details or past events about their personal life that I couldn't possibly know. And, as a medium, I can communicate with and interact with earthbound human spirits and nonhuman entities. I can see them (visually and/or see a mental vision of them), I can hear them speak audibly and/or hear them speak when I have a mental vision of them, and I can communicate and interact with them as I communicate and interact with the living.

And as a sensitive, I can sense the presence of spirits as well as feel their emotions at the time (such as elation, anger, fear, and despair). It's similar to how I feel varied sensations depending on the living person I am sensing. Generally speaking, I can determine within a couple of minutes of meeting someone if they are trustworthy or not, and I can tell by various feelings what kind of human spirit or nonhuman entity I'm dealing with. I can also see the auras of other people in vivid colors. That is essentially what I experience every day as a psychic medium, a sensitive, an empath, and a highly sensitive person.