• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do You Approve Of Destroying Confederate Monuments?

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't understand. Can you explain?
There was an intentional effort to remove nazi symbols and statues to nazi, including Hitler, after WWII from public spaces. There are still museums where they kept some of them, for historical education. But the vast majority were destroyed and next to none exist outside gated or walled historical sites, and cannot be seen from the road.

Edit: more on the subject.
Why There Are No Nazi Statues in Germany

syo

There was an intentional effort to remove nazi symbols and statues to nazi, including Hitler, after WWII from public spaces. There are still museums where they kept some of them, for historical education. But the vast majority were destroyed and next to none exist outside gated or walled historical sites, and cannot be seen from the road.
Good. Now we should do that globally and erase nazis from the human head. erase. no museums, no books, total annihilation.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Good. Now we should do that globally and erase nazis from the human head. erase. no museums, no books, total anihilation.
I'd be happy enough not having the eyesore on public property, giving the public spaces to current and future artists.

Would you oppose removing the statue of Hitler and putting up, say, a statue of Anne Frank? If so, why? Is a statue of Hitler really more historically relevent than a statue of Anne Frank?

syo

I'd be happy enough not having the eyesore on public property, giving the public spaces to current and future artists.

Would you oppose removing the statue of Hitler and putting up, say, a statue of Anne Frank? If so, why? Is a statue of Hitler really more historically relevent than a statue of Anne Frank?
I hope people see Anne Frank as a cute little girl and forget her ending.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I hope people see Anne Frank as a cute little girl and forget her ending.
Why?
None of us that I'm aware of who are for taking down any particular nazi statue are for forgetting about their history. I've been to the holocaust menorial in DC twice and hope to someday go to Auschwitz museum. That doesn't mean we think everywhere that had nazi statues should still have them.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Explaining the memorial's place in history,
ie, how it was to honor something we now
see as wrong.

Okay. Sounds like it might work.

I read plaques.
But if no attention were being paid, why is there
all this news about people paying attention, &
demanding their removal?

You remind me of the old Yogi Berra quote.
To paraphrase...
That place is so busy that nobody goes there anymore.

Those statues have been up for how many decades? Even during the Civil Rights Movement, the focus was on other things, not on the statues or flags. Prior to the 1990s, the Confederate flag was viewed as relatively innocuous, and then all of a sudden, everyone started getting mad about it. It never made any sense to me. So, if you're asking me why it's big news now, I can't really say. I don't know.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Okay. Sounds like it might work.

Those statues have been up for how many decades? Even during the Civil Rights Movement, the focus was on other things, not on the statues or flags. Prior to the 1990s, the Confederate flag was viewed as relatively innocuous, and then all of a sudden, everyone started getting mad about it. It never made any sense to me. So, if you're asking me why it's big news now, I can't really say. I don't know.
Things are what they are.
The universe doesn't give us the right to know everything.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Things are what they are.
The universe doesn't give us the right to know everything.

Then I guess as things stand right now, people are going to continue to destroy Confederate monuments and statues wherever they can. But that doesn't mean all of them would be destroyed. I'm sure there are still some places where they would be accepted.

Your title suits you.

It was done as a joke when some one accused me of being unreasonable for making the most generic and anodyne comment along the lines of "neither Republicans and Democrats are perfect in this regard" :D

Your gripe is up there with it.

In the context of "any decision would need to be made on a case by case basis based on the person depicted and the cultural, historical and artistic merits of the statue, not simply "Person X bad".

You decided that it is most "reasonable" to interpret this as a malicious accusation that you are a crypto-confederate rather than it being a simple argument against the educational value of crap, generic statues:

If every mawkish post 1920 Confederate memorial was removed it would have basically zero impact on knowledge of Civil War history in the US. Tbh it would probably increase it for generations due to the publicity.

Not to mention that if education was the goal you could a) replace them with a range of educational displays/memorials covering a wider range of people, or b) spend the money used to maintain all of the confederate monuments on something that actually does teach people about history.