• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do You Approve Of Destroying Confederate Monuments?

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Only "suggesting"?
I've been clearly advocating for exactly that.

When describing the motivations of others, I'll often use words like suggesting or indicating, since it's possible I'm misinterpreting. But sure...advocating.

That be interesting info to provide
along with the offensive memorial, eh.

To a degree. There are a great many statues given prime placement in key areas, specifically designed to push a false narrative.
Putting a plaque on them that suggests the person being glorified and the cause being honoured are not worthy of honour is something. But if starting from scratch it's not a clear way of actually communicating what happened, imho.

I think where we differ is that you see some historical value in the statue. I don't. I see value in history, and in remembering it with some accuracy. I think we're agreed on that.

That heinous glorification should be addressed
right at the offending memorial, eh.

Not necessarily, no. On occassion that might be appropriate.

Sounds like you're on board.

With the accurate rendition of history where possible? Sure. Part of why I think tearing down a lot of these statues makes sense. But I'm not in the 'lets hide history' mob. We need to face our ugly truths, and realise we all have them.

Glorifying them though?

With slightly more nuance I'm okay with celebrating the actions of an individual, even if there were other actions I'd judge less favourably though a modern lens.

But celebrating them for the actions that appear unfavourable even in their moment? Yeah...that is too far for me. Celebrating Confederate secession is a strange conceit.[/QUOTE]

Heyo

Veteran Member
If Germany can make Auschwitz into a tourist
attraction that informs & motivates, then I think
we can do better than we are.
Just FYI, Auschwitz is located in Poland.
There are similar monuments and museums in Germany like Bergen-Belsen.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
When describing the motivations of others, I'll often use words like suggesting or indicating, since it's possible I'm misinterpreting. But sure...advocating.
I was bust'n yer chops.
To a degree. There are a great many statues given prime placement in key areas, specifically designed to push a false narrative.
Putting a plaque on them that suggests the person being glorified and the cause being honoured are not worthy of honour is something. But if starting from scratch it's not a clear way of actually communicating what happened, imho.
I recall one proposal I made on RF (can't find the post)
about enhancing one statue of some Confederate
by adding a group of smaller figures around him.
Little bronze slaves being viciously worked & whipped
by the same Confederate. A plaque would explain
the full history of that "hero".
That should give a sense of how I'd prefer these
offensive statues be preserved & repurposed.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
How does one change a memorial's message when there's no memorial installed yet?
If a memorial is not installed, it doesn't have any message at all. It doesn't exist. That's like asking what's the meaning of a song that someone who hasn't been born yet will possibly write in the future, and how can we change that message. :)

Maybe you mean to ask this question a different way? Such as how do you change the meaning of a symbol that already exists? One answer to that is by collectively destroying it. Here is a great example of changing the meaning of a symbol:

I don't argue that point. Indeed, it's an aspect of
history that adding to the memorial could address.
A correction or illumination it would be.
There is a difference between a museum and the heart of town square. A museum is somewhere one can go to remember the past and reflect upon it. For instance, you might walk into a museum as see a hangman's gallows erected in a display about the old West. But if that same gallows were erected in the center of town square, it would send an entirely different message and meaning to the people who live there, one of a watchful eye that promises their deaths if they mess with the law there. Right?

So there's nothing wrong with remembering the civil war. In fact we should do that. "Never forget" messages as a warning for instance of such low points of our humanity, such as the lynchings of the racist south. But to put up displays glorifying those in the center of town square, is in fact of message of threat, intimidation, and aggression. Placement changes the message. It's not just a statue itself. It's how its displayed and what message it is sending.

How is it that so many are missing this thread theme?
I think the point of this thread was to try to disparage "liberals" by drawing some sort of correlation between them wanting to remove confederate statues, which has been a controversy from the very start, with the Taliban who destroyed Buddhist antiquities in an act of religious fanaticism (a loss to the whole world collectively, I'll add, completely unlike the modern Confederate monuments).

You do realize that this whole erecting monuments to save face for the South goes way back to right after the Civil War itself? Drawing comparisons between what the Taliban did and what Americans decried from the very outset, is disingenuous to say the very least. Here's an article from the NY Times, dated August 16, 1865, to underscore this point: https://timesmachine.nytimes.com/timesmachine/1865/08/16/78748465.html?zoom=16.01&pageNumber=4

"We believe that a positive good is to be gained by preserving the memorials of rebel cruelty. The thing most needed since the prostration of the rebellion is to make it odious and infamous. It is not so now in the South. The great body of people there yet speak of it with respect.​

So, this is really a Union versus the Confederacy issue, which has become politicized by the Republicans (formerly the Southern Democratic "Dixiecrats" whose Lost Cause mythology took over the Republican party of Lincoln).

Comparing any of this with the Tablian, is absolutely absurd. And that is the point of this thread.

Some agree with me. Others with you.

You shouldn't try so hard to insist that you have The Truth.
There are only opinions.
Some agree with Evolution and some with Creationism. Which has the better more well-reasoned and established support behind them, is the real heart of the matter here.

Also, there are not "only opinions". There are opinions that are ill-informed and lacking support, and opinions that are well-informed and well-supported. Not all opinions are of equal value, to be perfectly clear here. No, you're not entitled to your opinion

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
If a memorial is not installed, it doesn't have any message at all. It doesn't exist. That's like asking what's the meaning of a song that someone who hasn't been born yet will possibly write in the future, and how can we change that message. :)

Maybe you mean to ask this question a different way? Such as how do you change the meaning of a symbol that already exists? One answer to that is by collectively destroying it. Here is a great example of changing the meaning of a symbol:

There is a difference between a museum and the heart of town square. A museum is somewhere one can go to remember the past and reflect upon it. For instance, you might walk into a museum as see a hangman's gallows erected in a display about the old West. But if that same gallows were erected in the center of town square, it would send an entirely different message and meaning to the people who live there, one of a watchful eye that promises their deaths if they mess with the law there. Right?

So there's nothing wrong with remembering the civil war. In fact we should do that. "Never forget" messages as a warning for instance of such low points of our humanity, such as the lynchings of the racist south. But to put up displays glorifying those in the center of town square, is in fact of message of threat, intimidation, and aggression. Placement changes the message. It's not just a statue itself. It's how its displayed and what message it is sending.

I think the point of this thread was to try to disparage "liberals" by drawing some sort of correlation between them wanting to remove confederate statues, which has been a controversy from the very start, with the Taliban who destroyed Buddhist antiquities in an act of religious fanaticism (a loss to the whole world collectively, I'll add, completely unlike the modern Confederate monuments).

You do realize that this whole erecting monuments to save face for the South goes way back to right after the Civil War itself? Drawing comparisons between what the Taliban did and what Americans decried from the very outset, is disingenuous to say the very least. Here's an article from the NY Times, dated August 16, 1865, to underscore this point: https://timesmachine.nytimes.com/timesmachine/1865/08/16/78748465.html?zoom=16.01&pageNumber=4

"We believe that a positive good is to be gained by preserving the memorials of rebel cruelty. The thing most needed since the prostration of the rebellion is to make it odious and infamous. It is not so now in the South. The great body of people there yet speak of it with respect.​

So, this is really a Union versus the Confederacy issue, which has become politicized by the Republicans (formerly the Southern Democratic "Dixiecrats" whose Lost Cause mythology took over the Republican party of Lincoln).

Comparing any of this with the Tablian, is absolutely absurd. And that is the point of this thread.
This is covering old ground.
I've nothing to add.
Also, there are not "only opinions". There are opinions that are ill-informed and lacking support, and opinions that are well-informed and well-supported. Not all opinions are of equal value, to be perfectly clear here. No, you're not entitled to your opinion
To believe one has The Truth instead of opinions
makes discussing differing opinions more difficult.
IOW...
No, you're not entitled to claim opinions as fact.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
To believe one has The Truth instead of opinions
makes discussing differing opinions more difficult.
IOW...
No, you're not entitled to claim opinions as fact.
Nothing I have said is claiming the Truth in some absolutist mentality. These are matters of opinion. But some are crappy opinions and others are well-reasoned and well-supported opinions. I prefer to side with reason.

That's quite different than claiming The Truth, in an absolutist sense. It's not an all or nothing thing, that it's either you're an absolutist 'I've got the Truth!', or an erroneously relativistic, "it's nothing but opinions and it's all the same". Rather, it is a weighted scale of reason and support. Black and white thinking is not a thing you can accuse me of.

BTW, you can't just brush aside everything I just said as "covering old ground". You have never acknowledged that you were way off beam to try to draw a colletory between the removal of the Confederate statues, and the Taliban. Unless you retracted that earlier? If not, why haven't you? It's not "old ground", if you still imagine against reason that that is a valid comparison.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
And which do you embrace? And can you support them in reasoned discussion, or do you just resort to accusing those who disagree with you with absolutist thinking and resort to logical fallacies to support your "lost cause"? ;)
Do you really want to pursue personal criticism?
You won't like my views. So I'll pass on going there.

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
If you approve of destroying Confederate themed
monuments, do you also approve of the Taliban's
destruction of statues of Buddha? If not, why?
No, and no. I don't see the point, because where does it end. I don't even care when people fly the Confederate flag anymore.

Truth in love

In the news....
https://www.newsobserver.com/news/state/north-carolina/article264769574.html
Excerpted...
A North Carolina town watched live online as a bulldozer pushed down its Confederate monument. Mondale Robinson, the mayor of Enfield, North Carolina, took to Facebook to share a livestream as a Confederate monument in the town’s Randolph Park was demolished by a bulldozer on Sunday, Aug. 21. “Yes, sirs! Death to the Confederacy around here,” Robinson said in the video as a bulldozer knocked the monument over. “Not in my town. Not on my watch.”

If you approve of destroying Confederate themed
monuments, do you also approve of the Taliban's
destruction of statues of Buddha? If not, why?

There is nothing to be gained by destroying history.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I was bust'n yer chops.

I figured. Bust away. My chops aren't bust proof, but I dish out enough crap talking to people. Fair that I get a little back occasionally.

I recall one proposal I made on RF (can't find the post)
about enhancing one statue of some Confederate
by adding a group of smaller figures around him.
Little bronze slaves being viciously worked & whipped
by the same Confederate. A plaque would explain
the full history of that "hero".
That should give a sense of how I'd prefer these
offensive statues be preserved & repurposed.

Yeah, and I think we're largely aligned on the idea of remembering history, keeping it alive and educating people. History is way more interesting in reality than the banal parody we commonly teach (as I think you're aware).
Mostly, I wouldn't be bothered investing further into these. I'd rip down the revisionist history ones, leave a few dotted around with more fulsome explanations of both the good and bad they represent (where there is more than just bad...) and move some to museums.

But ultimately my goals are probably similar to yours, even if my plan is different.