• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you believe in good?

Straw Dog

Does the world believe in goodness anymore? Are we good-willed? Or has the Good died somewhere along the waysides of history? What do we even mean when we say that something is "good"? Has it just become a lingering relic of traditional etiquette?

Perhaps it has become absurd to even discuss the good life in this meta- mecha- techno- postmodern or whatever era it is now, so I'm going old school on this one. The 3rd Century CE biographer Diogenes Laertius recorded the views of the ancient Greek schools in his Lives and Opinions of Eminent Philosophers, which has become a principle source for the history of Greek philosophy. I'm only going to address the Stoic views relevant to the topic here and leave room for an open discussion regarding different views.

According to Diogenes' reports, the original Stoics primarily regarded the good as "that which is such as to benefit." Subsequently, the bad was "that which is such as to harm." So they regarded "benefitting" to be the most basic property of that which is good. How does this relate to virtue? As Diogenes phrased it, "To benefit is to set in motion or sustain in accordance with virtue; whereas to harm is to set in motion or sustain in accordance with vice." They regarded virtue itself as good.

Diogenes further described many other characteristics of the good:

"...because it is such as to benefit."
"...because it brings such things as we are benefitted by when they occur."
"...because it holds together in cases where this is needed."
"...because it pays back what is expended on it, so that it exceeds in benefit a mere repayment of the effort."
"...because it makes available the use of a benefit."
"...becauses it renders the use of it praiseworthy."
"...because it is symmetrical with its own use."
"...because it has all the features sought by nature."
"...because it is such that it is reasonable to choose it."
"...because it is consonant with law and instrumental to a sense of community."

"...the honorable uniquely means that which makes those who possess it praiseworthy; or a good which is worthy of praise; otherwise: that which adorns its possessor; as when we say that only the wise man is good and honorable."

Do you believe in good?

Discuss.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Oh yes, I do believe in Good. I have seen it make a difference far too often to doubt its existence or its value.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
As in "morality is inherently subjective"? Is that what you mean?

Subjective is a whole other thing, but to get into that I would need an idealism debate, a way to convince you of something hard to convince, and perhaps popcorn for it would be long.

I think it's easier to talk about moral relativism, in the case that it is an objective fact that Person A holds Morality X while the morality itself is not universally shared.

Knight of Albion

I believe in goodness, done with a pure heart.

The beauty of goodness is that it has repercussions, directly and indirectly. Like ripples on water.
It brings happiness and inspires others to good actions themselves.

I could not pass this thread without posting this wonderful video! Quite famous now as it went viral, but the perfect piece extolling the quiet power of good ...

[youtube]uaWA2GbcnJU[/youtube]
"Unsung Hero" (Official HD) : TVC Thai Life Insurance 2014 :

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
I believe in good, but I think we need to look at the psychology behind why we as humans call things good or bad, as well as understanding our own personal beliefs on the subject. I'm dubious of approaching a complex subject like morality with dogmatic presuppositions.

Knight of Albion

The all-important factor in one's actions is motive.

One can do positive actions with an impure heart i.e. the desire for praise, reward or even the hope of picking up 'good karma'.

But the true way is to do good with a pure heart i.e. without any thought or desire for praise or reward.
Goodness as a natural, automatic expression of one's character.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I guess good is a type of contrast essentially. I would take it's contrast that I would be recognizing with a perception of good as it is noticed. Im not quite sure if belief would be applicable for my personal view. Im usually hesitant to use the word belief anymore because of change. :0)

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

If only! Motive is very important, but it still falls well behind effects and consequences. We are responsible for our actions, choices and omissions even when we have no way of anticipating them.

One can do positive actions with an impure heart i.e. the desire for praise, reward or even the hope of picking up 'good karma'.

But the true way is to do good with a pure heart i.e. without any thought or desire for praise or reward.

It is better, and a step in the right direction. But it is not enough.

Amechania

Daimona of the Helpless

I wonder about this. People can do bad things with a pure heart. I'm sure Hitler was motivated by what he thought was good.

Cardboard

Everything we do, considered "good" or "evil" is done for emotional and or physical self gratification, the motive is always to that end.

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
Everything we do, considered "good" or "evil" is done for emotional and or physical self gratification, the motive is always to that end.

I think that is only part of the whole picture. While it is true that looking out for our fellow man's well being does bring us gratification too, its an example of a good in which we look at the needs of others and what will bring them joy. Its an interesting fact that most of us consider looking out for our fellow's goodwill one of the highest goods.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I wonder about this. People can do bad things with a pure heart. I'm sure Hitler was motivated by what he thought was good.

Far worse even: so did literally millions who fought for his causes, voted on him and died in his name.

Worst of all, he is not even notably different from so many other destructive people in that regard.

Cardboard

I think that is only part of the whole picture. While it is true that looking out for our fellow man's well being does bring us gratification too, its an example of a good in which we look at the needs of others and what will bring them joy. Its an interesting fact that most of us consider looking out for our fellow's goodwill one of the highest goods.

Your statement doesnt explain how you think that self gratification os only part of the picture?