• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you consider yourself a minority/majority?

Do you identify under a demographic...

• ... minority

Votes: 24 72.7%
  • ... majority

Votes: 9 27.3%

• Total voters

StarryNightshade

Spiritually confused Jew
Premium Member
You used the word "innate". So you admit that it is our "innate" desire to perform acts of debauchery?

Not even you can deny what mankind is ;). I am not saying we should live in chaos but we should live in a society of organized "sin". Even Muhammad regulated slavery by the way. Almost every immoral deed we have has been regulated in times past.

Why try moving pass something which cannot be lost? Crime rates go up along with violence. It is not our nature to conform to anything really. We can only unify to such a degree until we begin to form rifts between each other. Mankind is a social creature, not a horde of ants. There is a difference. Name me a pack of mammals that form a communal union that reaches the millions?

We also have enough cognitive process to glorify violence as portrayed in cinema works and video games. We also glorify vile deeds such as degrading sex and other hedonistic immoralities

By "innate", I do mean the leftover desires from our evolutionary ancestors. That, in and of itself, does not mean that we are a savage group of people worth of slavery. However, just because it is our "nature", doesn't mean we shouldn't move beyond it and better ourselves.

Also, this is not a debate thread, so I will discontinue posting anymore before this thread ends up getting hijacked.

Fireside_Hindu

Jai Lakshmi Maa
I consider myself a majority in most senses. The part of me that makes me a minority (Being white and Hindu) hasn't effected the way I am treated by people I meet everyday. Otherwise, I am a middle class, Caucasian female living in the US. You can't walk five steps without tripping over one of us. :D

Shanti :camp:

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
Indulge a curiosity of mine, if you will. Do you identify as a minority within your state or nation under demographic attributes which often fall under legal protections (e.g., religion, race, and so forth)? Which ones, if you care to share? What does this status as a minority mean to you, if anything? If you don't identify with a minority, what does your status as a majority mean to you, if anything?

(in the poll, select "minority" if you identify with any demographic minority; "majority" if you identify with none)

I guess I am a minority being a gay pagan and all. It feels super ridiculous that I am a part of a minority group. Other than identifying that I don't fit in with the majority in regards to my religion and sexuality...it doesnt mean much to me.

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
By "innate", I do mean the leftover desires from our evolutionary ancestors. That, in and of itself, does not mean that we are a savage group of people worth of slavery. However, just because it is our "nature", doesn't mean we shouldn't move beyond it and better ourselves.

Also, this is not a debate thread, so I will discontinue posting anymore before this thread ends up getting hijacked.

understood ;)

We can continue here... http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/general-debates/149819-morality.html#post3375063

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
It seems clear to me at this point that the perception of being part of a minority is both technically correct (for pretty much everyone, or close enough) and remarkably appealing (as an extension of the feeling that most people don't really understand our style and needs, which again is probably nearly always correct at least in a technical sense).

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
Isn't slavery somewhat harsher than government oppression, though?

Slavery is something that the individual not the government constructs and maintains. Slavery is fair unlike common theory but it is circumstantial. Perhaps my mind is too archaic

Badran

Veteran Member
Premium Member
You seem to have forgotten that you are also a minority in the sense that very few Egyptians these days still insist on paying their debts in camels and goats.

I will carry the heritage of my forefathers upon my shoulders till the day i die. Even if i become the laughing stock of the entire country. They paid in camels, and so will i.

See, this is why i didn't bring that up. It's a very sensitive topic for me.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I will carry the heritage of my forefathers upon my shoulders till the day i die. Even if i become the laughing stock of the entire country. They paid in camels, and so will i.

There are worse things than being a fiscal traditionalist in the 21st Century. I'm sure there are. Absolutely sure.

Last edited:

Me Myself

Back to my username

You could draw a little camel or goat on every one of your dollar bills.

Just sayin.

Make a check, draw a goat.

Why not?

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة

I guess it is sort of ironic that I am a major Kemiticist and Arabic culture fan :D. Your cultural pride has acquired my respect *tips hat*

Badran

Veteran Member
Premium Member
You could draw a little camel or goat on every one of your dollar bills.

Just sayin.

Make a check, draw a goat.

Why not?

Well, i guess you're right. There's no reason at all why i shouldn't do that. Not one.......besides my ancestors rolling in their graves in agony at what their legacy has become. Silly little drawings on pieces of paper.

If we were in the old days, i would've dealt with your disrespect by composing a lengthy poem slandering your family name and questioning your manhood.

Badran

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I guess it is sort of ironic that I am a major Kemiticist and Arabic culture fan :D. Your cultural pride has acquired my respect *tips hat*

*Rewards Sterling with five young goats and a full-grown camel, which is considerably more than what is customary*

Badran

Veteran Member
Premium Member
There are worse things than being a fiscal traditionalist in the 21st Century. I'm sure there are. Absolutely sure.
*Rewards Sunstone with a bowl of goat milk, which is stunningly less than what is customary*

Badran

Veteran Member
Premium Member
*Shoots Badran and steals the rest of his camels*.

I can play dirty right? :p

Sure, so long as you're ready to be hunted for the rest of your life by all the angry tribes of Arabia seeking revenge for the loss of their most honorable man. :p

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I voted majority, but it all depends on the particular aspect of my life you're talking about, as mentioned

Minority:
Australian (on a global scale)
atheist, but to be honest not many in Australia care either way
Male (when I was a primary teacher. Suffered negative and positive discrimination at a low level, and neither was nice)
incredibly witty and good-looking...ahem...
North Melbourne support. Probably the least supported team in the AFL. *sighs*
History buff...always have been. Doesn't stand out as much now as when I was 16, let me tell you...lol

Majority:
Australian (in Australia...lol)
white
male (politically and in the business world)
university-educated
Almost forty
married
2 kids
1 dog
living in the 'burbs
Sports loving

Last edited: