• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you ever get the feeling there could be a higher power?

Cephus

Relentlessly Rational
Trees are atheists? :) Sorry, I just don't buy it. Not even when mature could you claim a tree has reached the age of majority. Are you sure you are not just pushing my buttons?

Nope. Anything without a positive belief in a god is, by definition, an atheist. Yes, it's a rather silly comparison, but by the definition of the word, it's true. Of course, that has nothing to do with what we're talking about.

jonathan180iq

"The process of belief is an elixir when you're weak
And I must confess at times I indulge it on the sneak
But, generally, my outlook's not so bleak..."

philbo

High Priest of Cynicism
Can't recall an atheist ever saying to me they wish the doctrines of the RCC were 100% on the money for example.
;)

I would *like* there to be the sort of god as described in the NT (less so the OT - hat one's a fickle, genocidal *******), and it would be great to think ones life has a purpose beyond the mortal. Wouldn't everyone like there to be a supreme being to whom to pass the buck?

I've never felt even the tiniest inkling that this might be the case, though. The desire in me for it to be the case does a good job, for me, of explaining how religions have come about.

gnomon

G'day

I was discussing a/theism with a friend of mine recently, who is an atheist. He admitted he sometimes 'feels' there could be a higher power, and/or wants there to be a 'greater purpose' in life, but then he does a reality check and moves on. He can understand how other people pursue those feelings, though.

I was surprised to hear he had those feelings sometimes.

Do other atheists experience the same?

Nope.

rene

G'day

I was discussing a/theism with a friend of mine recently, who is an atheist. He admitted he sometimes 'feels' there could be a higher power, and/or wants there to be a 'greater purpose' in life, but then he does a reality check and moves on. He can understand how other people pursue those feelings, though.

I was surprised to hear he had those feelings sometimes.

Do other atheists experience the same?
Nope. All I can give is the universe is beyond my comprehension and that anything is possible

rene

;)

I would *like* there to be the sort of god as described in the NT (less so the OT - hat one's a fickle, genocidal *******), and it would be great to think ones life has a purpose beyond the mortal. Wouldn't everyone like there to be a supreme being to whom to pass the buck?

I've never felt even the tiniest inkling that this might be the case, though. The desire in me for it to be the case does a good job, for me, of explaining how religions have come about.
Why do we need to think beyond the mortal. Why not just focus on being the best mortals we can be. I think if we focused our energies on that humanity would be better off.

philbo

High Priest of Cynicism
Why do we need to think beyond the mortal. Why not just focus on being the best mortals we can be. I think if we focused our energies on that humanity would be better off.
I don't know why (or even if) we need to think beyond the mortal - some people definitely feel that need; in my case it's the sort of "it would be nice", a bit like the wish for enough money in the bank not to have to worry about bills.. But I completely agree: if everyone gave up on the supernatural & spent their time trying to be better people, humanity would benefit hugely :)