• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you go to hell if you commit suicide?

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
Sandy Whitelinger,

re: "Do you mean to say, ‘that a person has the ability to consciously CHOOSE to believe someone or something into existance, and of course that is impossible.’"

No, although believing someone or something into existence is also naturally impossible. What I wrote is what I intended.
In that case a person has the ability to consciously CHOOSE to believe that someone or something does or doesn’t exist and Pascal's wager suffers from the logical flaws I outlined.

Heneni

Miss Independent
Im sorry, i have not read all the responses in this thread. But i dont think you are going to go to hell when you commit suicide, you are going to come back to it.

And by the time you are back here, it will be ten times worse, and many times harder to cope, which means things will get harder before they get easier. So stick it out here and now. Run the race. Finish it.

heneni

McBell

Admiral Obvious
More nonsense.
Here is the part of post #138 you did not address:
Do you think that he believes as many Christians that everything is black and white only?
You think that there is never any acceptable circumstance to lie?
Perhaps like when you are hiding Jews in your closet and the Nazi's, after knocking on your door, ask if you are hiding any Jews?
Is YOUR God such a prude as to say that you are not to lie but to turn them over?

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
Do you think that he believes as many Christians that everything is black and white only?
Perhaps like when you are hiding Jews in your closet and the Nazi's, after knocking on your door, ask if you are hiding any Jews?
Is YOUR God such a prude as to say that you are not to lie but to turn them over?
I answered it. You just fail to see it. And God by definition cannot be prudish.

rstrats

Sandy Whitelinger,

re: "...a person has the ability to consciously CHOOSE to believe that someone or something does or doesn’t exist..."

Perhaps you can help me, then. I have never been able to consciously CHOOSE any of the beliefs that I have and I would really like to be able to do that - for example to effect a belief that it is possible for me to become a more compassionate person. Since you seem to be saying that you can consciously CHOOSE to believe things, I wonder if you might explain how you do it. What do you do at the last moment to instantly change your one state of belief to another? What is it that you do that would allow you to say, "OK, at this moment I have a lack of belief that ‘x’ exists or is true, but I CHOOSE to believe that ‘x’ exists or is true and now instantly at this new moment I do believe that ‘x’ exists or is true?

Maybe you could use something like leprechauns to demonstrate your technique. According to the Encyclopedia Britannica, a leprechaun is "a fairy peculiar to Ireland, who appeared in the form of an old man of minute stature, wearing a cocked hat and a leather apron." So, assuming that you don’t already have a belief in them, how about right now, while you are reading this, CHOOSE to believe - be convinced without a doubt - that they exist. Now that you believe in leprechauns, my question is, how did you do it? How did you make the instantaneous transition from lack of belief to belief?

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
You are STILL harping over the word 'prude' even when the word is not in the post you quote.
In your own words:
I emboldened and colorized your usage for you.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
In your own words:
I emboldened and colorized your usage for you.
My apologies.

Shall we try it yet again:
Perhaps like when you are hiding Jews in your closet and the Nazi's, after knocking on your door, ask if you are hiding any Jews?​

rstrats

Sandy Whitelinger,

re: "Obviously not..."

OK, so you don’t think that you are able to explain how you consciously CHOOSE to believe things. I’d be happy just know that it can be done. So I would ask you again to demonstrate your stated ability by doing what I requested of you in the first part of my post #173.

HoldemDB9

Sandy Whitelinger,

OK, so you don’t think that you are able to explain how you consciously CHOOSE to believe things. I’d be happy just know that it can be done. So I would ask you again to demonstrate your stated ability by doing what I requested of you in the first part of my post #173.

I think most theists say that they believe things, that they actually do not. Most theists seem to think that going with an idea + hoping that it is true = actually believing that it is true. I cannot take anyone seriously who claims that they can choose to believe things like "the earth is flat".

People misuse the word believe and faith way too often. I'm not quite sure what someone means when they say "I believe that Jesus is God", but they are definitely not using the word believe as you would use it when you say something like "I believe my car is red".

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
My apologies.

Shall we try it yet again:
Okay, I'll play your little scenario even though I've stated numerous times that I've already answered your question, just not to your satisfaction

Someone who believes in God arrives at my door. Because he believes in God he must know that he will suffer persecution because of his faith. He is also quite familiar with the laws of God maybe even those that require him not to put other people in a position to violate the laws of God. He is being persued by the authorities. He may then also be aware of how in the past that his scriptures teach him that those who flee from persecution suffer an even worse fate than what was originally prescribed. He knows that by asking for my help with his problem he will be putting me and probably my innocent family in mortal danger.

Is this the person I'm hiding in my closet? It sounds like a cluster ef to me.

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
Sandy Whitelinger,

Actually, I said that I can't explain how you lack the skill to make a concious choice not to believe in something.

Your scenario is backwards. The ability is to not believe or believe in something that actually exists.