• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you hate God?

Kungfuzed

Student Nurse
I thought about putting this under one of the more popular sections of the forum but then I noticed how dead the Atheism section is so I'm putting it here. We sure need more threads. I put a thread in here on my first day in the forum last summer and it's still in the top five on the first page.

Anyway, are you an Atheist because you hate God or do you hate God because you are an Atheist? I'm just curious how it is that an Atheist can hate God. I suppose it's kind of like hating Santa Clause. I can understand how a believer can hate God. But why waste so much energy and time and make yourself so miserable hating someone who doesn't exist? I think anyone who says they hate God really isn't an Atheist at all.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
I don't hate God any more than I hate the Flying Spaghetti Monster or Invisible Pink Unicorn. I suppose if you bend the definition of atheism a little, you can indeed be an atheist and hate god. Atheism, after all, only means "without god".

Revasser

Terrible Dancer
I find God to be a pretty unpleasant character as portrayed by most of the Abrahamic religions. But there are plenty of unpleasant deity characters in modern and ancient religions.

I wouldn't say I "hate" him. Unpleasant a character he may be, he's largely too dull for me to hate him in the way that I hate some particularly vile baddy in a novel. The story is too boring and the character too one-dimensional.

M

Majikthise

I thought about putting this under one of the more popular sections of the forum but then I noticed how dead the Atheism section is so I'm putting it here. We sure need more threads. I put a thread in here on my first day in the forum last summer and it's still in the top five on the first page. .

Amen to that!

Well, I hate Jerry Seinfeld and he's kind of an imaginary character, right?
I think there might have been a brief time there, were I hated god as characterized by christianity during the transition to atheism. But it didn't take long to realise my position was unnecessary.
No, I don't hate god. I hate the fact that some idiots invented it.
On a similar note,I get additional laughs when some one believes atheism is devil worship.:biglaugh:

FatMan

This is a good question.

Being dyslexic, maybe my hatred for dog has actually been misplaced all these years. Hmm.....:D

Tiberius

Anyone who is an atheist due simply to a hatred of God is mixed up about the way Atheism works. To hate something, you have to believe it exists. Atheism is a lack of belief in God - atheists don't believe God exists. I don't see how a person can hate something they don't believe exists.

Revasser

Terrible Dancer
Anyone who is an atheist due simply to a hatred of God is mixed up about the way Atheism works. To hate something, you have to believe it exists. Atheism is a lack of belief in God - atheists don't believe God exists. I don't see how a person can hate something they don't believe exists.

In the same way you can hate a fictional villain. You don't need to really believe that a baddy in a novel is real to "hate" them while you're reading it. The whole point of such characters is usually to make the reader hate them.

So why must a person believe that God is a literal, real being to hate the character?

Kungfuzed

Student Nurse
I'm not an atheist but I wonder why there aren't any options that don't involve hate.
Well, if you've heard of an Atheist who loves God I'd like to hear about it. There was a thread in this forum that got closed before I could even read it, something mentioned about a hate letter to God. Got me wondering how a person can hate God and call themself an Atheist. The question you quoted was meant to be sarcastic since I really don't know any Atheists in this forum who hate God. They might hate certain religions or what they teach about God. But I can't picture any of them raising their fist towards heaven or writing a hate letter to God. Something tells me you've got something up your sleeve. You probably really know someone who loves God and is an Atheist. I wouldn't put it past you. Thanks for making me stop and think. I really should have put some other options, or at least some sarcastic smileys.

Kungfuzed

Student Nurse
In the same way you can hate a fictional villain. You don't need to really believe that a baddy in a novel is real to "hate" them while you're reading it. The whole point of such characters is usually to make the reader hate them.

So why must a person believe that God is a literal, real being to hate the character?
Don't you think hate is too strong a word for a fictional character? There's a thin line between love and hate and most of the people I've known who hate God were once believers who felt that God had wronged them in some way. People who really truly hate God take Him way too seriously and or had way too much faith in Him and got burned. They may profess to no longer believe but subconsiously they're still co-dependant on their imaginary friend in the sky. Once you let go of God you let go of the emnity too.

Tiberius

Show me a fictional character who is hated as much as Adolf Hitler, or Saddam Hussein.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Something tells me you've got something up your sleeve. You probably really know someone who loves God and is an Atheist. I wouldn't put it past you. Thanks for making me stop and think. I really should have put some other options, or at least some sarcastic smileys.
Nope, nothing up my sleeve. :)

I don't know any atheists who love God.
I do know some atheists who hate God.
I also know many atheists who don't think about God one way or the other. And that's why I was asking why hate was the only option.

btw, the original thread to which you refer was not closed. Only the thread that was made in reaction to that thread was closed, because it directly attacked a member of RF.

Here ya go. :)
http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49201

des

I hate Lord Voldemort, even though he doesn't exist. I do hate certain depictions of God, and I am not an atheist either. I am also indifferent to other depictions, and like others.

--des

Revasser

Terrible Dancer
Don't you think hate is too strong a word for a fictional character? There's a thin line between love and hate and most of the people I've known who hate God were once believers who felt that God had wronged them in some way. People who really truly hate God take Him way too seriously and or had way too much faith in Him and got burned. They may profess to no longer believe but subconsiously they're still co-dependant on their imaginary friend in the sky. Once you let go of God you let go of the emnity too.

I would say it depends on the context in which the word is being used. "Hate" is not really a strong word at all. Not necessarily, at any rate. Heck, it's probably one of the milder words in our language that describes that emotion. Maybe "rancor" would be too a strong word.

But my point is largely about suspension of disbelief. When I'm reading, say, Tony Shillitoe's Ashuak Chronicles (subtle plug for one of my countrymen :p ), and I read a scene where a particularly unsavoury military governor named Hu Jaga sets about publicly torturing a group of slaves for some petty reason. "Hate" is an accurate description of the emotion that reading that scene evokes.

Let's try something a little closer to the topic. When I read the Old Testament and God performs or orders the genocide of X group of people, at that moment, "hate" is the emotion that that scene evokes for me. Of course, as I said earlier, the character is too shallow for me to hold onto this when I cease reading and resume my disbelief as I would with more interesting and well-developed villains, but it is there for that moment all the same.

And I agree with you, people who profess disbelief but still passionately hate God as if he were a real person are not really atheists at all (or at least, claim the label "atheist" for what I would consider the wrong reasons). But it is the "as if he were a real person" part that I would take issue with, not the "hate God" part.

Thinking about it, though, I have to admit that the emotional mind does not always follow the rational right away. I do think it is possible for a person to intellectually acknowledge that God is not real and understand the implications, but still not be able to break emotional attachments. Perhaps this is true for people who have only recently given up theism from a very religious background. Though in these cases, where the person was "burned" by religion, maybe God is a symbol for the earthly religious organisation rather than an entity unto himself. But I have not really been personally "burned" by religion in that fashion, so I'm not the best person to speculate.

Regardless, I think it is entirely possible for a person to hate God in the same way they can a villain in a novel. The difference, I suppose, may be that with most, people can stop suspending their disbelief when they put the book down. That seems to be more difficult with God.

Tiberius said:
Show me a fictional character who is hated as much as Adolf Hitler, or Saddam Hussein.

Emperor Palpatine? :p

gnomon

I thought about putting this under one of the more popular sections of the forum but then I noticed how dead the Atheism section is so I'm putting it here. We sure need more threads. I put a thread in here on my first day in the forum last summer and it's still in the top five on the first page.

Anyway, are you an Atheist because you hate God or do you hate God because you are an Atheist? I'm just curious how it is that an Atheist can hate God. I suppose it's kind of like hating Santa Clause. I can understand how a believer can hate God. But why waste so much energy and time and make yourself so miserable hating someone who doesn't exist? I think anyone who says they hate God really isn't an Atheist at all.

Who is this God you speak of?

Papersock

Lucid Dreamer

My answer is the same as everyone else's, I don't hate god, becuase I don't believe it exists. I cannot hate something that does not exist.
If an atheist says they hate god, they probably just mean the concept of god. Or they would hate a particular god, if it existed.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
In my experience, there are some atheists who are frustrated by theists and who, because they don't know how else to handle their frustration, resort to attacking the God they don't believe exists. It's pretty amusing really. I guess the point is to annoy and aggravate the theists, but it generally just makes the atheists who react in this way look silly. I just wish one of these angry unbelievers could explain to me why on earth my belief in God is elicits such hostilty.