• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do You Hate God?

robtex

Veteran Member
I think if one see God as a metaphor, or can only describe God as a metaphor or with personification as the linguistic tool or other artistic interpretation, that on some level for most people God is the validation of ones emotions without the inclusion outside those emotional inferences. I think the validity of God's existence is intimately tied a validation process for ones emotions in a metaphorical sense. In that way I think theists "hate God' is as natural as hate is as an emotion. The love/hate relationship with one's personal God may mirror ones "love/hate" relationship with themselves in relation to their life. I think any emotion a believer can have can be applied to their God weather it be love, joy, sorrow, hate, jealously ect ect. God is the manifestation of emotions and the validation of those emotions in relation of a position held or idea accepted whose primary driver is ones personal emotions.

eXiled

I like logic.
I didn't until he shunned me. I used to love God... but my faith is questionable. Some of the things that he's done makes me wonder why I should like God. If I were to see irrefutable (sp?) that her existed, then perhaps I'd change my view. I want him to exist and I want to love him, but I can't give love to someone who no one has ever seen or who no one hs ever conversated with ... and I can't give love to someone who would physically hurt me the way he does.

I mean, it's God... the world is in pain... stop being selfish and do something about it.

(Yes, I'm looking for reasons to love him... give me one... a logical one)

agent_smith

I evolved.
I didn't until he shunned me. I used to love God... but my faith is questionable. Some of the things that he's done makes me wonder why I should like God. If I were to see irrefutable (sp?) that her existed, then perhaps I'd change my view. I want him to exist and I want to love him, but I can't give love to someone who no one has ever seen or who no one hs ever conversated with ... and I can't give love to someone who would physically hurt me the way he does.

I mean, it's God... the world is in pain... stop being selfish and do something about it.

(Yes, I'm looking for reasons to love him... give me one... a logical one)
What would you expect the world to look like if God didn't exist?

(That does not include the "Where did we come from/What made us?" question)

eXiled

I like logic.
I'm not sure that's the question. My statement was the world's hurting, and God's nowhere to be found.

gnomon

No.

Nor is it logical to hate God's followers? Or the concept of God?

In fact, it's become quite annoying to listen to people talk about hating God.

I can hate people.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Well, I don't "hate," in the sense that I wish someone would die. I try my best to forgive anyone who's done wrong, and the God of the Old Testament, YHWH, is no exception.

I do not like his idea of "justified killing" and the impact that train of thought has had on modern society, and for a while, I was using that as an excuse to "hate" him. But then I got to thinking... wait a minute, am I really sincere about this, or am I just looking for an excuse to shut evangelists up?

After that, I began on working to forgive him for what he supposedly did in the Old Testament. (Not the flood; he already said he'd never do that again. I mean the literal genocide of entire civilizations so that the Hebrews could live there) I mean, to me, he was charged by Mother and Father to watch over them, so he would have done what he judged at the time to be right. So, while it is hard for me, I am working on forgiving him.

Note: To me, forgiveness isn't for the one being forgiven; it's for the one doing the forgiving.

ravenstrike

Court Jester
Have any of you read "the brother's karamazov"?
in it, one of the brothers states (and this is paraphrased): God has no right to make us suffer. Maybe he does for adults, but why children? What have children to do with it?? If you could end all suffering by torturing to death one child, one innocent child, would you? It is not that God doesn't exist, but I deny him. He has given me my ticket to the afterlife, and I most respectfully decline it"

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Have any of you read "the brother's karamazov"?
in it, one of the brothers states (and this is paraphrased): God has no right to make us suffer. Maybe he does for adults, but why children? What have children to do with it?? If you could end all suffering by torturing to death one child, one innocent child, would you? It is not that God doesn't exist, but I deny him. He has given me my ticket to the afterlife, and I most respectfully decline it"

That is one of my favorite books, and I did an independent study with a teacher and another student. The thing is that Dostoevsky writes from the Christian perspective. It's the same as in "Crime and Punishment", the characters question God and the way things are, but in the end find God, and come to understand why things are the way they are. One of Dostoevsky's biggest themes is the value of suffering, and it is a classic Russian concept also.

eXiled

I like logic.
God's methods, and I know some will say, "We don't really understand his motives," are just baffling, though. I believed all my life that there is a God... a being that created everything, but as I grew older and more logical and see things as they are, not what the reasons are, I have to ask myself, did God forget us? War, hunger, murder, and rape and everything horrid in-between. My God, the God that I grew up believeing, has stopped caring. That's the God I hate.

ravenstrike

Court Jester
I just can't accept him.
smattered applause for mball1297
it was a good book though
but still.
he doesn't care
if he exists
so..
hate away!

mudge991

God's methods, and I know some will say, "We don't really understand his motives," are just baffling, though.

That makes me wonder how someone thought they understood "gods motives" enough to tell others they "just cant understand" That Christian circle argument begins to tighten.....

Starfish

Please no sarcasm
God's methods, and I know some will say, "We don't really understand his motives," are just baffling, though. I believed all my life that there is a God... a being that created everything, but as I grew older and more logical and see things as they are, not what the reasons are, I have to ask myself, did God forget us? War, hunger, murder, and rape and everything horrid in-between. My God, the God that I grew up believeing, has stopped caring. That's the God I hate.

I think I understand his motives and in answer to the OP, I don't hate him. He has given me everything good in my life.

mudge991

I think I understand his motives and in answer to the OP, I don't hate him. He has given me everything good in my life.

Really? So you credit him with everything? I suppose you never got anything because you worked for it? Are you where you are at through no effort of your own?

Starfish

Please no sarcasm
Really? So you credit him with everything? I suppose you never got anything because you worked for it? Are you where you are at through no effort of your own?

He gave me my brain, strength, air to breath, and everything else. Couldn't have done much without him.