• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do You Hate God?

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Is "There is no God" or "There is no evidence for God" statements of fact?
Yes. So are "There is a God" and "there is evidence of God. "

ETA: ... as opposed to "I (do not) believe there is a GOd."

Fluffy

A fool
Storm said:
Yes. So are "There is a God" and "there is evidence of God. "

ETA: ... as opposed to "I (do not) believe there is a GOd."

Is "The burden of proof rests on those who make a positive claim" a statement of fact aka a positive claim aka in claiming it, the claimer has the burden of proof?

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Is "The burden of proof rests on those who make a positive claim" a statement of fact aka a positive claim aka in claiming it, the claimer has the burden of proof?
Yes, but it's a well-known rule.

Fluffy

A fool
Storm said:
Yes, but it's a well-known rule.
So is the existence of God but in both cases, appealing to the majority is fallacious and so not a valid proof.

If the burden of proof is a positive claim then it must have a proof or it cannot be asserted coherently.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
So is the existence of God but in both cases, appealing to the majority is fallacious and so not a valid proof.

If the burden of proof is a positive claim then it must have a proof or it cannot be asserted coherently.
1) The existence of God has nothing to do with the ettiquette of debate

2) Either I'm right or it's your job to prove me wrong. Either way, I'm too tired and too cranky to put in much effort just because you're feeling ornery.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
1) The existence of God has nothing to do with the ettiquette of debate

2) Either I'm right or it's your job to prove me wrong. Either way, I'm too tired and too cranky to put in much effort just because you're feeling ornery.

I think the problem here is that if I just came out and said something, it would be different. In the case of a debate, there are two sides. By your definition both sides would be making a positive claim. Both sides would not have the burden of proof. So, here the claim "God exists" would have to be the positive claim, seeing as how it's claiming something in the positive, rather than "There is no God", which is claiming something in the negative. You have to start from the position that all that exists is what we can perceive with our senses. Anything beyond that requires proof.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
I think the problem here is that if I just came out and said something, it would be different. In the case of a debate, there are two sides. By your definition both sides would be making a positive claim. Both sides would not have the burden of proof.
Sure they would.

So, here the claim "God exists" would have to be the positive claim, seeing as how it's claiming something in the positive, rather than "There is no God", which is claiming something in the negative. You have to start from the position that all that exists is what we can perceive with our senses. Anything beyond that requires proof.
"Positive claim" refers to a claim of factuality, not the nature of the fact itself. Believers don't automatically make positive claim, nor do atheists; it's all in how the argument is presented.

methylatedghosts

Can't brain. Has dumb.
Bingo, which is why Christianity can only rely on faith.

Aye, but also the opposite positive statement "God does not exist". (another form of that statement is "there is no God")

If there is no proof either way, that god exists or that god does not exist, then both statements must be statements of opinion/belief/faith.

logician

Aye, but also the opposite positive statement "God does not exist". (another form of that statement is "there is no God")

If there is no proof either way, that god exists or that god does not exist, then both statements must be statements of opinion/belief/faith.

To be honest, the statements "god exists", or "god does not exist" are not well defined, thus are statements that cannot be proven or disproven. The term "god" can mean so many things that just to list the many definitions of "god" is a large undertaking. I suppose one could take each definition individually, see if that "god" was well defined, and attempt to prove or disprove its existence, but certainly would require great effort.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Sure they would.

"Positive claim" refers to a claim of factuality, not the nature of the fact itself. Believers don't automatically make positive claim, nor do atheists; it's all in how the argument is presented.

I understand the point that if I say something that I expect you to believe, I need to prove it, but that's separate from the burden of proof being on the one making the positive claim.

I think you have to start with the idea that nothing exists, and that's what humans do. We are taught that things exist, and then we accept them. Babies start out only knowing their parents exist when they can see them. At a cetain point the baby realizes that when mom walks away, she still exists, just not where she can be perceived. It's like Kant's "I think therefore I am". He realized that we can't even take our own existence for granted, and so he set out to prove it.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
I understand the point that if I say something that I expect you to believe, I need to prove it, but that's separate from the burden of proof being on the one making the positive claim.
Howso?

I think you have to start with the idea that nothing exists, and that's what humans do.
I think I disagree, but please, expand.

It's like Kant's "I think therefore I am".
(Wasn't that Descartes?)

He realized that we can't even take our own existence for granted, and so he set out to prove it.
See, I'm of the opinion that there are things we just have to accept, like existence. Even with "Cogito, ergo sum," you can't prove that you think.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Howso?

I think I disagree, but please, expand.

(Wasn't that Descartes?)

See, I'm of the opinion that there are things we just have to accept, like existence. Even with "Cogito, ergo sum," you can't prove that you think.

To me a positive claim is not just a factual statement. It is basically a statement that something exists, whereas a negative claim says that something doesn't exist, hence the negative part.

Just like with that baby who assumes that nothing exists unless he/she can currently perceive it. If the baby can't see or touch something, including the parents, then it doesn't exist. It is only later that the baby learns that when mommy is not around, she still exists. So, as humans we start off assuming nothing exists unless we can perceive it. Later we start to accept other things that we can't perceive because they're taught to us by others whom we trust.

Yes, it was Descartes!:eek: Just call me a moron. :eek: That's what I get for trying to do work while writing on here.

I guess I think that the proof that I think is result.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
To me a positive claim is not just a factual statement. It is basically a statement that something exists, whereas a negative claim says that something doesn't exist, hence the negative part.
Well, from a linguistic point of view, that's perfectly valid, but it's just not what the phrase actually refers to.

Just like with that baby who assumes that nothing exists unless he/she can currently perceive it. If the baby can't see or touch something, including the parents, then it doesn't exist. It is only later that the baby learns that when mommy is not around, she still exists. So, as humans we start off assuming nothing exists unless we can perceive it. Later we start to accept other things that we can't perceive because they're taught to us by others whom we trust.
Ok, I get your point, but we'll just have to agree to disagree.

However, it may interest you to know that I don't just assume God exists. I believe because of personal experience. In fact, if you want to pick nits, I claim knowledge rather than belief. But I don't pretend that my subjective experience even approaches objective proof, so I avoid making positive claim as best I can. I just get cranky when people on either side of the issue act like their stance is an obvious fact when nobody's got proof, or even strong evidence.

Yes, it was Descartes!:eek: Just call me a moron. :eek: That's what I get for trying to do work while writing on here.
You're not a moron, I wasn't positive myself. :)
I guess I think that the proof that I think is result.
You lost me.Rephrase, please?