• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do You Hate God?

ravenstrike

Court Jester
He doesn't have to argue it. If it's real to him, why does he care whether you think it's real?
Then why is he on this forum?
i'm just asking, but it would seem that the point of this forum (or at least some threads) is to argue over religion.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
because blind faith is damaging, and if you can't argue a faith, then it must be blind. I'm sure that groundless faith has killed more people than any disease, or war, ever.
also, the whole "one sentence reply" was killing me:D:D

As with anything, blind faith can be damaging, but it's not inherently bad. Religion in general has caused many bad things to happen. That doesn't mean it's not good in some ways.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
i'm not seeing it good in any way
mind enlightening me?

Just because someone believes blindly in a religion doesn't mean they're going to go out and commit some heinous act. Blind faith makes some people happy without hurting others.

ravenstrike

Court Jester
and what good is blind faith?
hope?
hope does no good. It doesn't feed the hungry, or cure the sick. Maybe if we all lost hope and saw the world in it's true shambles and perverse nature, we might actually be able to fix something

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
hope?
hope does no good. It doesn't feed the hungry, or cure the sick. Maybe if we all lost hope and saw the world in it's true shambles and perverse nature, we might actually be able to fix something

Did my previous responses not answer your question adequately?

If we didn't have hope, nothing would get fixed. We would look at all of the crap going on and feel like their was no reason to try to fix it because it was hopeless. So we'd give up and let things continue to get worse.

I hope to become a writer some day, so it might actually happen. If I didn't have that hope, I wouldn't even attempt it in the first place.

ravenstrike

Court Jester
touche, but nonetheless
i'm not saying that faith is evil, i'm saying groundless faith is.
you hope to be a writer because, judging by your post's
you can write exceedingly well!
but belief in a cosmic jewish zombie is groundless

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
touche, but nonetheless
i'm not saying that faith is evil, i'm saying groundless faith is.
you hope to be a writer because, judging by your post's
you can write exceedingly well!
but belief in a cosmic jewish zombie is groundless

Thanks!

I agree that believing something without knowing exactly why isn't the best way to live, but to each his/her own.

Another example can be found in "American Idol". There are a lot of people who audition for that show who are horrible singers, and yet most of them say that their friends and family encouraged them to try out. If they want to believe that they're good singers, even if there's no good reason to think so, I don't see that as a problem. It's only when they go to try out for a show like that, that I think someone should tell them the truth. Just like someone having blind faith in a religion is fine as long as they don't feel any negaive impact from it due to others' perceptions and they don't negatively affect someone else as a result of it.

hope?

Gandhi hd faith he could drive the British out, Martin Luther King Jr. had faith he could get equal rights for blacks, now ont tell me hope does no good.

agent_smith

I evolved.
now dont tell me hope does no good.
Don't tell me hope does no bad!

Now, then... does "hope" (i.e. religion) do more good or more bad?
The majority of people in the USA believe in God. What are the teen pregnancy, crime, homicide and abortion rates?
The majority of people in the UK (at last) do not believe in God. What are the teen pregnancy, homicide and abortion rates?

Do some research.

The majority of people in the USA believe in God. What are the teen pregnancy, crime, homicide and abortion rates?
The majority of people in the UK (at last) do not believe in God. What are the teen pregnancy, homicide and abortion rates?

Do some research.

Teen pregnancy, hmm.. let me see, my freind recently got pregnant, 14, my freind recently had sex, 13... Lots of east boys stabbing. As for abortion, nothing bad about it. Britian is bad and becoming even worse, so that was a not a good choice, i do live here so i know what it is like, i dont need statistics.

camanintx

That only rules out a few views of what/who God is.

Try again.

Until someone can prove that their God exists, it is just a story to used to explain their world view. Unless you can show where someone has proven that their God exists, this definition of myth would seem to cover all God concepts.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation

Do some research.

What does any of that have to do with hope?

Anything can do bad, some things just do it more than others. Hope does more good than bad without question.

agent_smith

I evolved.
Teen pregnancy, hmm.. let me see, my freind recently got pregnant, 14, my freind recently had sex, 13... Lots of east boys stabbing. As for abortion, nothing bad about it. Britian is bad and becoming even worse, so that was a not a good choice, i do live here so i know what it is like, i dont need statistics.
One tiny area of a country does not present a fair picture of the country as a whole. You DO need statistics.

Don't avoid what I said.

agent_smith

I evolved.
What does any of that have to do with hope?

Anything can do bad, some things just do it more than others. Hope does more good than bad without question.
I am saying "hope" in relation to religion (e.g. hope in life after death, not hope in winning the lottery). I also said to do research - i.e. question it.