• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you KNOW God does not exist?

Do you KNOW God does Not exist?

• Yes, I know He does not exist

Votes: 16 30.2%
  • No, I do not know He does not exist

Votes: 10 18.9%
  • No, I believe He exists

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • No, I believe He does not exist

Votes: 10 18.9%
  • Yes. I know He does exists

Votes: 12 22.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kuzcotopia

If you can read this, you are as lucky as I am.
I know God does not exist. Based on my understanding of the universe, the existence of most, if not all, definitions of God would be logical contradictions.

I would only accept the possibility of a God existing if I were shown evidence that the universe as we know it could allow for the existence of a god. Then I would switch to agnosticism or weak atheism.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I think God's existence is extremely unlikely, to the point of living my life as if God does not exist, which means I believe he doesn't exist.

And agree that most God concepts are logically not possible, but I can't know that there isn't some kind of entity that could logically exist. We just have zero evidence for it so it is not worth worrying too much about.
But here's the thing: the term "God" doesn't just imply "some kind of entity"; it has a lot of baggage that implies that there should be evidence for the thing.

For starters, "God" implies (among other things) "object of worship". A thing that actually exists can't be worshipped if it isn't known to us, so if the thing has zero evidence for it, then it isn't God even if it does exist.

philbo

High Priest of Cynicism
I could tell you I do not.

But that would be just about as honest as stating that I'm not quite sure the moon exists: I could perhaps say such a thing if my life depended on it, or maybe to spare the feelings of someone in the short term.

It would still be a lie. Not an important lie - it is just about as meaningful as lying about my favorite color - but a lie all the same.

For all practical purposes, I do know that God does not exist. Except as a human creation.

I used to call myself an agnostic atheist, but for some time now I just can't quite care about keeping an agnostic face. It just seems so pointless, meaningless.

It is a respectable position and I would not object being called one. But it no longer means anything at all to me personally, so I think it would be dishonest to invoke such a label.

I don't even give a lot of importance to theism these days. I have come to think there is no real contradiction whatsoever in changing belief stance at a moment's notice, even by throwing a coin to make the decision.

It has become far too clear to me that gods are the expression of people's expectations and values, and not the other way around.

That many people will strongly disagree... is not at all a great deal either. Not to me, anyway.
This is not the first time on this forum that LuisDantas has put into words pretty much exactly how I feel about the existence of a god or gods.

I don't see or feel any deistic influences on the world as we know it, the sort of things that would be very hard to miss if there were an omnipotent (well, any kind of potent) interested god, so it is reasonable to behave as if no god exists even if I wouldn't go so far as to say "I *know* no god exists"; if there is a god, and he deigns to make an appearance, I don't have any philosophical objections to changing my mind.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
How can anyone answer unless you specify which God you are asking about? I know for sure that some gods don't exist, but am not even aware of all possible god conceptions.
God that is most commonly know.

Entity or not: He/she/it is defined by his, her, or its "either" need for worshio or choice of the believer to give reverence rather than worship.

God usually have characteristics that mirror peoples interest. God of Abraham is of love; people want love. Many mythological Gods have traits their followers (rather than worshipers) admire. God can be seen as a human or as everything.

God is usually defined as the divine (many words for the same trait). Hence he, she, it is greater than or for some people highly preferenced to be equal to this divine or God.

What is your commonly accepted definition of God? (Dont answer) then think about the options in the poll.

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
God that is most commonly know.
There is no God that is most commonly known. Even Yahweh never got past about a third of the population. But yes, if Yahweh is the god in question I know he does not exist.
Entity or not: He/she/it is defined by his, her, or its "either" need for worshio or choice of the believer to give reverence rather than worship.

God usually have characteristics that mirror peoples interest. God of Abraham is of love; people want love. Many mythological Gods have traits their followers (rather than worshipers) admire. God can be seen as a human or as everything.

God is usually defined as the divine (many words for the same trait). Hence he, she, it is greater than or for some people highly preferenced to be equal to this divine or God.

What is your commonly accepted definition of God? (Dont answer) then think about the options in the poll.
There is no commonly accepted definition, just specify the God. You did: Yahweh. I know he doesn't exist.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Peace be on all.
I did not get the Yes/no thing.
Please make the simple possible answers.

I know and believe that God does exist. (where to put it in the poll)??
I voted in
No, I believe He exists
[Related Ref: Lattest essay in Ahmadiyya DIR]
Explanation:

Believe=Leaves room for Gods existence
Know=Does not leave room that He exists.

1. Yes, I know He does not exist
2. No, I do not know He does not exist
3. No, I believe He exists
4. No, I believe He does not exists.
5. I know He does exists

Do you know one hundred percent God does not exist?

1. Yes, I know (without doubt) He does not exist.

2. Opposite above. No, I do not "know" (Saying that without a doubt you know God does not exist) not youre not sure (bad wording)

3. No (I disagree with the OP question) I "believe" He does not exist; but, will not say that I know which OP asks. (Leaving reason that He could yet believing He does not)

4. Opposite of above. I say I believe he does not. I will not say I "know" He does not

5. Yes. I disagree with the OP. I "know" 100 percent God exist.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Thats why I explained it below. If there is no common thread for God definition, why call it God? How can people answer the question if their views dont have an underlining same belief of how the dictionary and other resources from mythology to religous define as God.

I believe the word God has some of the same characteristics that any God has (making it into the God category, regardless the details)

I know God does not exist. Its based on how you define God. We usually stick with our own conceptions of things in regards to God. It would be illogical to imply my definition of God. It would rock the poll to or away from my favor.

There is no God that is most commonly known. Even Yahweh never got past about a third of the population. But yes, if Yahweh is the god in question I know he does not exist.There is no commonly accepted definition, just specify the God. You did: Yahweh. I know he doesn't exist.

EDIT

I dont want to derail the thread. However you define God, do you believe or know he exists or doesnt exist. I know you answered already. Thank you.

Last edited:

Eliab ben Benjamin

Premium Member
How do you reconcile this with all the people who see no reason to believe God exists? Shouldn't something as significant as a god - if it really did exist - be obvious to anyone?

I don't reconcile it, i have no need to ...
See i was fortunate to die .... and still somewhat upset at being sent back ..

The obvious bit, well ... look around, every tiny miracle each day, a planet
that lives, the babbling brook, the cool breeze on a hot summer day,
the laughter of children playing in the park, the butterfly, ...
yes i know common every day things .. sadly most folks are too busy
rushing, worrying, working to notice ... take a breath , remove the blinkers ...

And yes we postulate life on other planets, have we found them yet ??

Thief

Rogue Theologian

That is so true. I actually admire people who know this and still believe in God. Thank you

People's expectation?....as if such expectations cannot be real?
(that's what I heard).

Of course with belief in life after death expectations develop.
We have hierarchy in this life.....there will be hierarchy in the next.
Someone will be in charge.
Better be.
Chaos..... otherwise.

And science claims nothing moves without something to move it.
Cause and effect.

I expect to meet the Cause for all of this.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I don't reconcile it, i have no need to ...
It doesn't seem strange to you that so many people can be so sure that you're wrong?

See i was fortunate to die .... and still somewhat upset at being sent back ..
You had a near-death experience, therefore God?

The obvious bit, well ... look around, every tiny miracle each day, a planet
that lives, the babbling brook, the cool breeze on a hot summer day,
the laughter of children playing in the park, the butterfly, ...
yes i know common every day things .. sadly most folks are too busy
rushing, worrying, working to notice ... take a breath , remove the blinkers ...
What does any of that have to do with God?

Speaking for myself, I don't ignore those things - quite the opposite. I just don't see God in any of it.

And yes we postulate life on other planets, have we found them yet ??
I have no idea how this is supposed tobe relevant.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
For me he certainly doesn't exsit as a man in the sky, but as all there is yes I do believe he exist.,
This is sort of similar to my own thinking. I know, to my own satisfaction, that all god myths that abound on this small planet are false. Those gods do not exist. That does not mean that I do not envision something that might be termed god that is nothing like what the god myths tell us. The reason why I don't call this thing that I perceive, god, is because I don't want to give people the wrong idea, that somehow other god myths are true. In other words, if I use the word "god" to describe this "background radiation of being" that lends credibility to other god myths and that is untenable.

`mud

Just old
Premium Member
In past discussions we have explored the existance of the 'center' of the Cosmos.
Some call it the 'universe', meaning 'one','The All', an entity without end.
Now.....does 'GOD' exist ? Was it the causation ? Is it the energy of "The All' ?
If we could find the center of the 'The All', we'd know the answer !
The problem that I see, is the question of the belief, not the existance !
We cannot find a center, and we do not know of any edges !
Soooooo....if a 'GOD' does exist, I would think it is hiding,
somewhere beyond the light beyond the light, beyond the uttermost edge.
~
The large question in my mind, why does it hide ?
~
'mud