• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you KNOW God does not exist?

Do you KNOW God does Not exist?

• Yes, I know He does not exist

Votes: 16 30.2%
  • No, I do not know He does not exist

Votes: 10 18.9%
  • No, I believe He exists

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • No, I believe He does not exist

Votes: 10 18.9%
  • Yes. I know He does exists

Votes: 12 22.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

A code of behavior and fair warning.

See parables of the Carpenter.

Blastcat

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

A code of behavior and fair warning.

See parables of the Carpenter.

What does that have to do with anything? Are you interested in making a point about something?
Please don't be shy.

ThePainefulTruth

Romantic-Cynic
You are not speculating, you are asserting that your view is the correct one.

How can I be asserting my "view", when there are two possible.

I reject God on philosophical grounds, rejecting the anthropomorphic version is just icing on the cake. However my point was that to believe ill-defined concept is irrational.

I'll admit that people play fast and loose with the Truth, but the Truth defines itself, rationally, by definition.

Some people here, particularly atheists oddly enough, don't even really read what I've written. I can tell, because even the blind faith fundamentalists at least refer to it and say how they think I'm wrong. But this is just the same old brick wall.

StopS

people play fast and loose with the Truth, but the Truth defines itself, rationally, by definition

What is "truth"? There is no such thing as "truth" if taken as absolute.
Subjectively, "truth" is not rational but an observation of current reality and knowledge. People were telling the truth when they claimed Earth was flat and gods exist. They didn't know better.

Blastcat

Subjectively, "truth" is not rational but an observation of current reality and knowledge. People were telling the truth when they claimed Earth was flat and gods exist. They didn't know better.

I'm not sure that Painful was talking about any absolute truth. I think it's painfully obvious that he is speaking about what he personally considers the truth. His truth.

We could not have a more subjective kind of truth than that.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
He conceded a long standing discussion with a rival.
I got it.
Did you?

You can't refer to mathematicians as your back up.

Equations can't be used on God.
If you look back at our conversation, you were the one who brought up infinity, so you might want to check your tone a bit. I am still confused as to why you feel that the issue with infinity is relevant at all to this discussion. Why did you bring it up in the first place? Science is built on the recognition that it is wrong a lot. It is always changing and recognizing new things. That is why I find it strange that anyone would try to use the "something rather than nothing" argument or the like to prove the necessity of God. I have yet to be provided with any reasoning that requires a creator God.

Blastcat

If you look back at our conversation, you were the one who brought up infinity, so you might want to check your tone a bit. I am still confused as to why you feel that the issue with infinity is relevant at all to this discussion. Why did you bring it up in the first place? Science is built on the recognition that it is wrong a lot. It is always changing and recognizing new things. That is why I find it strange that anyone would try to use the "something rather than nothing" argument or the like to prove the necessity of God. I have yet to be provided with any reasoning that requires a creator God.

That's the kind of reasoning that might one day save England.
Bloody good show old man!

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I am a masochist, may I torture you?

In my old neighborhood.....
It was not unusual for a complete stranger to approach and pump a fist into your eye socket.
Just to see if he could knock you down.
(happened more than once)

Picture what happens when that guy shows up at heaven gate....

The angelic turn to me and ask....is this the guy that struck you?.....
is this the guy that almost took your eye?...just for fun....

and that guy shall have it done unto him....as many times as there are participants in heaven.

or maybe you thought heaven was something else?

Thief

Rogue Theologian

Didn't you mention a mathematician by name?...you first...#228

Could atheism ever realize it is built on something 'wrong'?

ThePainefulTruth

Romantic-Cynic
Brick wall or not......don't you realize that you're always wrong ?

:cool:
~
'mud

Yeah, here's mud in yer eye.

You ask "What is Truth?", then proceed to declare that objective Truth doesn't exist just as easily and glibly as those who don't care or don't want to know have always done it. What's ironic is your use of a flat earth to bolster your argument.

I'm not sure that Painful was talking about any absolute truth. I think it's painfully obvious that he is speaking about what he personally considers the truth. His truth.

We could not have a more subjective kind of truth than that.

Yeah, it would be if that was it. But since there's no objective Truth, there's nothing for you to understand. You're just wandering the dystopian landscape making sure you stay stuck in 1984. Good times eh.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
Didn't you mention a mathematician by name?...you first...#228

Atheism is merely a "lack of belief in the existence of God." How could the "lack" of a belief be said to be "built on something"? Atheism does not necessarily negate the possibility of God. Many atheists merely claim that there is insufficient evidence to make such a leap. I'm not sure how that could be said to be "built on" anything but prudence.

Blastcat

In my old neighborhood.....
It was not unusual for a complete stranger to approach and pump a fist into your eye socket.
Just to see if he could knock you down.
(happened more than once)

Picture what happens when that guy shows up at heaven gate....

The angelic turn to me and ask....is this the guy that struck you?.....
is this the guy that almost took your eye?...just for fun....

and that guy shall have it done unto him....as many times as there are participants in heaven.

or maybe you thought heaven was something else?

You make heaven sound like hell.

`mud

Just old
Premium Member
That heaven sounds to me like:
The absence of substance,
or brass knuckles on a cloud !
~
Do they have brass in heaven ?
I guess the angels have big fists !
~
'mud

StopS

1. there is no -ism for an atheist. Strictly speaking, there is no such thing as an atheist, just like there is no a-racist or an a-golfer.
2. an atheist - if I allow the term for argument's sake - simply does not believe what a theist believes, so there is no position, no build, no opinion, nothing. No foundation, no substance, no thoughts, no arguments, no claims, nothing.
3. as a person, ie the sum of all components that make up a human, it's different - but not for the atheist in a person.
I wish people were more precise in their wording.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
1. there is no -ism for an atheist. Strictly speaking, there is no such thing as an atheist, just like there is no a-racist or an a-golfer.
2. an atheist - if I allow the term for argument's sake - simply does not believe what a theist believes, so there is no position, no build, no opinion, nothing. No foundation, no substance, no thoughts, no arguments, no claims, nothing.
3. as a person, ie the sum of all components that make up a human, it's different - but not for the atheist in a person.
I agree, but the term "atheism" has a necessary meaning. It encompasses everyone who is not a theist. But, I guess we could go with "non-theist", but that is pretty much the same exact thing. "Atheist" is actually shorter.

Blastcat

lol.. i feel so.. empty now as an atheist. It's allmost as if I didn't believe in a god or something.