• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do You Know Why You Don't Believe?

Super Universe

Defender of God
What is the reason you don't believe in God? Or the reason you're not absolutely positively sure God exists?

I'd guess the number one reason is because people see bad things happening all around them and can't understand why God would allow it to happen.

How would you rate the other reasons not to believe?

Now the key question, where would you rate your own ego as a reason and do you realize it's the main reason?

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
What is the reason you don't believe in God? Or the reason you're not absolutely positively sure God exists?

I don't believe in God because God is an idea I have. That's also, incidentally, the reason I do believe in God.

I'd guess the number one reason is because people see bad things happening all around them and can't understand why God would allow it to happen.

People believe what they believe.

Now the key question, where would you rate your own ego as a reason and do you realize it's the main reason?
Depends on what you mean by "ego". If you mean "me" then it's is indeed behind my reasons for believing and disbelieving in everything that I believe and disbelieve.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
I'm not sure God exists because he's never been over to visit. Simple as that. Why would I think otherwise?
Could you clarify a bit more what you're looking for with this question please?

My ego has absolutely nothing to do with the question so I'd rate it at a zero.

Super Universe

Defender of God
I'm not sure God exists because he's never been over to visit. Simple as that. Why would I think otherwise?[/size]
Could you clarify a bit more what you're looking for with this question please?
My ego has absolutely nothing to do with the question so I'd rate it at a zero.

There is a person who lost a dear relative and they are angry at God and refuse to believe because they feel that God should have helped the relative live on. Another person wants to be rich but is not. Still another wants fame and an easy life. There are many reasons to believe and just as many not to believe.

The question is whether you understand yourself, whether you've examined your own personality and know what drives your moods and what is behind your beliefs. Do you even know why you believe in something?

Your ego has absolutely nothing to do with believing in God? Hmm, then why does God HAVE to visit you in order for you to believe? Why are YOU so important that almighty God has to come over?

Inky

Hmm, then why does God HAVE to visit you in order for you to believe? Why are YOU so important that almighty God has to come over?

Why believe in something without having any experience which suggests that it's true?

It's just as important to turn the question around and ask why you (or other theists) do believe. For me it's because thoughts and feelings kind of float into my head that I'm quite certain don't come from me, and what they contain suggests to me they come from a very old and important being I'd call God. If I didn't have those thoughts and feelings, I wouldn't believe, so it seems perfectly natural if some people don't share that experience that they would be atheist or agnostic.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
The question is whether you understand yourself, whether you've examined your own personality and know what drives your moods and what is behind your beliefs. Do you even know why you believe in something?
Of course I know why I believe in something....because I have proof or reasonable proof. My husband says he loves me and he shows me he loves me. Therefore I can conclude with relative certainty he does indeed love me. Does god do this? If so, how?

Your ego has absolutely nothing to do with believing in God? Hmm, then why does God HAVE to visit you in order for you to believe? Why are YOU so important that almighty God has to come over?
Let me spin the question the other way.....what evidence is there of God in our plane of existence? And, if God wants me to believe in him, shouldn't he make himself known to me? Otherwise I assume he doesn't really care if I believe in him or not.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Why are YOU so important that almighty God has to come over?

Ridiculous! There is nothing in Buttercup's thoughtful requirement to see evidence of deity before believing in deity that is egotistical. Otherwise it would be egotistical to need to see shoes before believing in such things as shoes.

Super Universe

Defender of God
Of course I know why I believe in something....because I have proof or reasonable proof. My husband says he loves me and he shows me he loves me. Therefore I can conclude with relative certainty he does indeed love me. Does god do this? If so, how?[/size]

Let me spin the question the other way.....what evidence is there of God in our plane of existence? And, if God wants me to believe in him, shouldn't he make himself known to me? Otherwise I assume he doesn't really care if I believe in him or not.

You need reasonable proof? Sure, that's it. But you set your standard of what you consider reasonable proof. Your standard may be very different from another's standard, certainly, your statement of requiring God to come over and introduce Himself is quite strict.

Does God prove Himself? Uh, how about the universe? How about life? How about the earth? Those aren't enough I guess.

Super Universe

Defender of God
Ridiculous! There is nothing in Buttercup's thoughtful requirement to see evidence of deity before believing in deity that is egotistical. Otherwise it would be egotistical to need to see shoes before believing in such things as shoes.

The evidence is all around you. You're stepping on it. You are it. But you still want more. It doesn't get any more egotistical than that.

LogDog

Why believe in something without having any experience which suggests that it's true?

It's just as important to turn the question around and ask why you (or other theists) do believe. For me it's because thoughts and feelings kind of float into my head that I'm quite certain don't come from me, and what they contain suggests to me they come from a very old and important being I'd call God. If I didn't have those thoughts and feelings, I wouldn't believe, so it seems perfectly natural if some people don't share that experience that they would be atheist or agnostic.

Would you explain what it was that led you to surmise that these "thoughts and feelings" that "kind of float" into your head are the product of a "very old and important being"?

Buttercup

Veteran Member
You need reasonable proof? Sure, that's it. But you set your standard of what you consider reasonable proof. Your standard may be very different from another's standard, certainly, your statement of requiring God to come over and introduce Himself is quite strict.
Well, that was just me being silly but it clearly illustrated my point didn't it? How else would I know who God is unless he introduces himself?

You're asking for standards of proof in the existence of God and then when I explain, you deride them as being too egotistical. Is a healthy ego negative to you?

Does God prove Himself? Uh, how about the universe? How about life? How about the earth? Those aren't enough I guess.
Life on earth is wonderfully glorious and I've had a tremendously gifted time while here. However, how is the earth or my life for that matter, proof of God?

Super Universe

Defender of God
All replies can be surmised in this one answer "God can't exist because, if there was a God, then everything would revolve around me".

Super Universe

Defender of God
Well, that was just me being silly but it clearly illustrated my point didn't it? How else would I know who God is unless he introduces himself?

You're asking for standards of proof in the existence of God and then when I explain, you deride them as being too egotistical. Is a healthy ego negative to you?

Life on earth is wonderfully glorious and I've had a tremendously gifted time while here. However, how is the earth or my life for that matter, proof of God?

How else would you know God exists? Well, your standard of proof. Is it easier to believe that atoms formed themselves and formed time and organized planetary systems that followed physical laws and then those atoms, somehow, formed life?

Buttercup

Veteran Member
How else would you know God exists? Well, your standard of proof. Is it easier to believe that atoms formed themselves and formed time and organized planetary systems that followed physical laws and then those atoms, somehow, formed life?
Do you understand quantum physics? Neither do I....but ask Mr.Spinkles sometime how matter is created from nothing, it can happen.

Ok, let's say I believe in God. Then what? Is he mad when I don't believe? Is he happy when I do believe? If so, how do you know?

Super Universe

Defender of God
The evidence there is no deity is all around you. You're stepping in it. You are it. It's only your egos need to aggrandize itself by identifying with a concept of deity that prevents you from seeing this.

Hmm, lets see, my ego needs to aggrandize itself by identifying with a deity huh?

Umm, how exactly have I identified with this diety?